UVB unit for home therapy.

Posted Mon 20 Sep 2021 12.37 by Summer

Hi Tracyjane I don’t understand once a year for 20 years? I haven’t used mine in sometime, over a year, not because I’m clear, it’s because I was told by my dermatologist use it sparingly, So when Iv had a session, it’s been 40 seconds on the front and the same on the back every other day ( building up from 30 seconds over a few uses. for maybe 2 weeks. ) Then I would keep off it for a few months, Mine was from MBS it came with a book with all the information on how to use. Lots of information. My bed helps my P. But I really only use it with limited time. And unfortunately depending on the time of year it has worse months Best wishes

Posted Thu 23 Sep 2021 10.05 by Juliemcd

Can you hire a bed traceyjane ?

Posted Mon 17 Jan 2022 01.09 by osta

In reply to Philippa's post on Tue 14 Sep 2021 , I have bought the handheld UVB device from MBS and have been using it on my legs and elbows for about 3 weeks now. I started using it for 30 seconds building up to 1min 45secs. It takes about 45mins for me to do my legs and elbows with this device and I can see the reason why MBS say that because it is so time consuming a larger device would be more efficient. However I am unwilling to spend a large amount of money on a bigger machine until I see any benefit from the one I have at present. I have not been able to find any information or guidance as to what are the appropriate times and the 30 seconds to a 2 minutes suggested for the larger devices are not applicable to handheld devices of a much smaller size and wattage. I gather from what I have read that to achieve some benefit the skin should not be burnt but feel hot and sensitized after treatment. Even at 1min 45secs I only get this kind of reaction on certain places although the psoriasis spots themselves do redden. I can't say I have noticed much benefit so far and I have an app called Diaro in which I write notes and take photos so I can record any progress. I have had mild psoriasis for many years but it got worse about five years ago and since then it comes and goes in phases with last winter being fine but the previous one and this one not so good. I know that UV rays help my condition because between June and October I'm out in the sun a lot and my skin clears. So it's probably just a matter of patience coupled to trial and error and remaining positive

Posted Wed 19 Jan 2022 11.53 by Ryan

Hi all New to this but wanted to ask what is an appropriate amount of time when using a handheld light phototherapy device ? I had used it for first time and think done too many minutes as day later I had burned myself! Is it best to go 1 minute each time and build it up over time I have had psoriasis for quite a few years now and tried all creams etc and use Dovobet, but thought need to try something different

Posted Wed 19 Jan 2022 12.23 by osta

Hi Ryan, I am also using a handheld device,( Saalux) for psoriasis and had the same question. I called the retailer, MBS, I bought it from and he advised me to use the timings in the handbook that came with the device but listed in the chart for Vitiligo. These start at 20 seconds for session 1 and go up in 20 or 30 second stages each session until at session 10 your on 4m 20 secs. If your handheld device is not a Saalux UVB comb your timings might be different as it probably won't be the same wattage and output so make sure you check with the manufacturer or retailer. Hope that helps.

Posted Sun 27 Feb 2022 19.14 by Carljones640

Hi I've just ordered 18 replacement 6ft 100w TL 01 UVB tubes for my sunbed Which means I'll have 18 used ones to give away if any wants them . However they are over 10 years old so unsure how effective they will be for new owner , my current exposure is over 7mins per side . The new owner can collect or send courier , ill package them in the packaging that new ones come in . Regards Carl

Posted Fri 4 Mar 2022 21.54 by JamesScotland

I would love one of these units to use at home, but cannot afford £2k. I have just been put on NHS waiting list for light treatment, however if I’m being realistic I cannot commit to 3 days a week for 2 months treatment, my job would understandably not allow this. So, I am wondering, can I not just order 9x Phillips tubes for £90 each and replace the tubes in my wife’s unused 6ft tanning bed?! Surely it’s all about the lights and not the frame that holds the thing together. Or am I being silly and missing something really obvious here?? I would love to hear people’s thoughts on building one DIY, using the correct tubes of course..

Posted Fri 4 Mar 2022 23.15 by TinaT

Hi James, I have heard of people buying old sun beds and putting in the TL01 tubes, so I’m sure it’s a thing you can do, With regards to the light treatment at hospital, it might not take 2 months. My own experience was 3 times a week, but my psoriasis cleared after only 2 weeks and at that time it was quite severe. Good luck

Posted Sat 5 Mar 2022 10.25 by Carljones640 (edited Sat 5 Mar 2022 10.27 by Carljones640)

@Jamesscotland I built my own sun shower 15 years ago without any issues. Contact me directly if you Need any TL01 tubes for free as I've just replaced 18 of mine Carl.jones640@ntlworld.com £109 each I paid unsure where they are for £90

Posted Sat 5 Mar 2022 10.56 by osta

I've just hired a uvb sunbed and would appreciate any information from people who have gone through the NHS process how they go about deciding how the timings work, Did it start with just a few seconds and then build up to minute in a day, week? That kind of information would be very useful. Thanks.

Posted Sat 5 Mar 2022 11.03 by Carljones640

Increase the time by 20% each day until you reach erythema or slight warmish and redness of skin then stay there and increase again when use to the exposure time , thats what I do . I've just installed 18 brand new ones on mine and started on 1 min yesterday so I'll increase today as use not felt anything however if your light skinned start a lot lower and increase each day if that makes sense, how long fo you have lamp for ?

Posted Sat 5 Mar 2022 11.18 by lizzieg

Hi Osta. I bought a uvb bed from MBS last year. Pretty similar to NHS timings dependant on skin type. Start at 30 secs and increase by 10 secs per session (front and back) I stick to 3 sessions a week as that is what I did at hospital in the past. I usually do Mon, Wed and Fri! Up t0 30 sessions in a treatment.

Posted Sat 5 Mar 2022 11.23 by Carljones640

Only problem there is if she/he is paying a lot on money for it and not getting the benefit from it using it 3 days a week for secs ,

Posted Sat 5 Mar 2022 11.34 by lizzieg

🤷‍♀️ I was told to leave at least 24 hours before each session and no more than 4 times a week. NHS offer you 3 times a week. One session a year safest to avoid skin cancer. Just passing on what I was told by NHS which is what they asked.

Posted Sat 5 Mar 2022 11.55 by TinaT

Hi Osta, I was on puva treatment at hospital, where you lay in bath of medication before going into light cabinet. They started me on 15 seconds and I only got up to about 30sec. But that’s because the medication makes your skin extra sensitive to the light. After waiting what will be 2.5yrs for more treatment on NHS I purchased a canopy from MBS recently. As others have said, I leave 24hrs between each session and have been increasing by 10sec every other time. I’m only up to 1min 20sec now, started at 30seconds, but can see a big difference already! And thankfully the itching has almost stopped . Hope that helps

Posted Sat 5 Mar 2022 13.48 by osta

Thanks to everyone who's replied to my question. Another one for you kind people. If you have psoriasis on the sides of your legs and chest is it good enough to just do your front and back if you have one sided flat facing sunbed. or do you have to do four positions (front back and each side)?

Posted Sat 5 Mar 2022 14.44 by Tracyjane

We hired a machine it was £1000. My son had to to 4 times to treat all parts of his body. It worked so far is clear x

Posted Sat 5 Mar 2022 15.56 by TinaT

Osta I would just try front and see if light reaches round the sides. Especially if you don’t have any on your back. I would be a little worried doing each side on. Would you be giving parts of your front and back some double exposure? Last thing you want to do is burn yourself. Why not try to seek some advice from someone like MBS who understand the beds and way light reflects. They are so helpful I’m sure they would advise you

Posted Sat 5 Mar 2022 17.35 by Carljones640

Bloody hell £1000 to hire one , buy a second hand sunbed canopy of ebay and purchase 9 Brand new tubes TL01 for £110 each and own your own How long is the hire for ?

Posted Sun 6 Mar 2022 08.33 by lizzieg

Also a tip not to over expose your arms, make sure they are facing the same direction for front and back exposure. So I stand with my palms facing the machine for front and then turn around but keep same position so backs of arms/elbows get exposed. For sides, I have done less exposure time in the past if needed. So for example I have had in the past some stubborn spots, I have guttate on the side of my thighs, I will stand side on and expose these for 10 secs each side but towards the end of my treatment when I have built up to 3 mins or so. Seems to work without burning me. The nurses used to burn me lots at hospital, increasing me too quickly, I have learnt slow and steady is the way if you have the time.

To take part, sign in or register with us