From 95% covered to 99% clear in 3 months. My story and treatment.

Posted Sun 21 Feb 2021 06.16 by Northerner21 (edited Sun 21 Feb 2021 07.39 by Northerner21)

Hiya everyone I'll try and keep this pretty brief but I will answer any questions in future if you have any. My Psoriasis started about 3 years ago and it's been a nightmare as you all know. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Mine started off pretty slow in my early 30's, I dont know why as none of family had a history of it as far as I'm aware. What seemed like in the space of few weeks it exploded. Massive flare up big time. Covered head to toe, lost all fingernails and toenails, had it on my scalp, hair was falling out in clumps, it was horrendous for about 7 months which culminated in me having an erythrodermic reaction which I belive almost killed me because of the inflammation and fevers, my resting heart rate was 125 for 3 months after that and I had fluid retention in my legs and gut making me think I had heart faliure. Never went to hospital or the doctors but hey ho I survived. I just didn't want anyone to see me in that state I'd rather had died tbh, I was so depressed. Large sheets of skin dropping off everywhere I moved, I was red raw with cuts opening up all over my body around my joints. My plaque psoriasis had turned into palmoplantir making me feel like I was walking on broken glass, then went erythrodermic which leaves you looking like you've bathed in acid its terrible. I found this place, I was desperately seeking help I did the blueberry thing for a while along with taking multi vitamins, cod liver oil and 1000 strength vitamin d. After about 6 weeks my inflammation was settling down, as was my heart rate and psoriasis got less aggressive. I got cocky, stopped taking vitamins and blueberries at the start of last year, I was just glad to be able to walk about again, and it came back just as bad if not worse.... So anyways... after this covid nonsense I've been left in a position where I couldn't afford to eat blueberries regularly anymore. But I decided to hit the vitamins again. Especially Vitamin D, it comes naturally from the sun and as sufferers of psoriasis we tend to cover up a lot, some of us like me who had it so severely don't go out at all. So this time I went for the full strength 10,000 iu vitamin d3 capsules. I also take a multivitamin with cod liver oil. I'm completely clear in 3 or 4 months. My vitamin d 10,000 iu d3 cost me £15 for 365 capsules. Multivitamins about a fiver for 90. A lot of new people to psoriasis dont realise that its an autoimmune disorder, its your body attacking itself from the inside out. Vitamin D helps with normal immune system functionality. The best time to take vitamins is in the morning after a meal, I have porridge with honey. Even if I don't wanna eat I force myself. Oats are supposed to be good for the skin too. I've always had dermo problems but my skin is so clear at the moment, best its ever been actually. There is some pinkness left from the scarring but I believe that will fade in time. I plan on getting some sunshine this spring and summer at which point I might only take 3 of my vit d a week. Please try this guys, I know how badly you're suffering. At the very least get a vitamin d test from a good doctor. If you do try this then please keep this thread going so people can see it. BTW I drink and smoke and pretty much eat what I want. Don't give kids anything without proper advice from a doctor. Take care.

Posted Sun 21 Feb 2021 12.51 by SharonG (edited Sun 21 Feb 2021 12.55 by SharonG)

@Northerner21 Found your thread :) This is really interesting - I do take vitamin D have started just this last 6 months but only 1000mg along with Cod liver oil and a multivitamin. I have also been having BB's for about 8 months - it could be a combination of all these things that is keeping my pustular psoriasis at bay right now - it is not completely clear but 100% better than it was last summer - I have it on my feet and I could barely walk as the flare up was so bad - cracked and bleeding nothing I put on would keep it moisturised - it felt like I was walking on glass!! I do still get the pustules but it hasn't progressed to cracking and bleeding since eating the BB's. So thanks for this information next time I order Vitamin D I will go for a stronger mg. So pleased you are feeling better with it - long may it continue.

Posted Sun 21 Feb 2021 13.58 by Steview
A P sufferer for over 30 years, through good and bad times.

That is fantastic that you have found your own remedy Northerner. I have read many positive posts recently about Vit D plus diet etc. Of course what works for one may not for another. Personally after 35 I would not stop meds to try an alternative supplement and diet regime as I know how my body reacts. I am very surprised that you did not seek medical treatment when you thought you had heart failure or were erythrodermic but your choice. Seems like you have found yourself a winning formula.

Posted Mon 22 Feb 2021 21.45 by Northerner21

A little thing about Vitamin D toxicity I found after my original post if it concerns you guys. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamin-d-side-effects

1 Posted Sat 27 Feb 2021 11.49 by Rob

@Northerner21 What brand vitamin d3 are you using? Im currently using vit d3 at 3000iu per capsule, be easier to take 1 than 3 of mine a day so wondering what brand your using, thanks.

Posted Sun 28 Feb 2021 17.52 by Northerner21

Hi Rob, Mine are from a company called Nu U Nutrition. Any reputable place should be ok. How are you getting on and how long have you been taking the vitamin D?

Posted Sat 13 Mar 2021 06.12 by Northerner21

I am mate thank you, I'm sorry to hear you are suffering. Hopefully you find something that works for you soon. I must add, if you are vitamin D deficient its best to take high strength ones like I did to get your blood levels up to normal (10,000iu for adults) I had to order them online because they weren't available in the pharmacy or supermarket. Also, vitamin k2 helps the body process vitamin D which is found in multi vitamins. Vitamin D helps with normal immune system function, so I'm not sure if they would be effective on not if taken with biologics or an immunosupressant like methotrexate or cyclosporin. You would have to speak with a doctor and get your vitamin D levels checked while you're at it. All the best.

Posted Mon 15 Mar 2021 18.29 by Rob

Hi Northerner, sorry for the late reply been hectic going back to work after so long off with the covid. Ah I already use Nu nutrition for all my vitamins, I use their multivitamin, zinc, vitamin k2, their 3000iu vitamin d3 (hence my question on the 10000iu brand as didn't know they do that dose) and I use their fish oil capsules. I was diagnosed with guttate psoriasis back in January 2020 after my first ever bacterial tonsillitis (strep throat). I was covered in it at the start, was referred to my dermatologist who started me on the low to medium topical creams, eumovate then becnovate (not sure on the spelling of those, sorry haha) they seemed to work but kept coming back so I then started using enstilar which cleared it all within 2 weeks. Now I got to watch my triggers as it still comes back till this day if I eat too much sugar, saturated fats etc and when they do come back I use the enstilar for a few days untill they go again. Sort of getting there with triggers as sometimes I don't use enstilar for month at a time untill I trigger it off again. Completely clear at the moment. So just stick to a clean diet along with supplements and moisturizing twice a day even when clear as best I can and cut out the usual suspects of foods and I can manage it, if they do come back few days of enstilar they go again. I'm going to order a home test kit which they sell in my local pharmacy for vit d3 check soon as curious on but vit d levels as been using d3 at 6000iu a day for a while now

Posted Tue 16 Mar 2021 09.51 by Northerner21

Nice one Rob, great to hear you've controlled it and nailed down your triggers right away. Keep it up! I had no idea you could check vitamin d levels at home, will have to look into it. As for vitamin d3 levels there's loads of new studies coming out all the time that what was considered a 'normal' amount in the blood, I.e 30-70 is underestimated and around 100 is probably more like what is needed. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Posted Tue 16 Mar 2021 10.08 by Rob

Thank you. I'm still learning the triggers as its disheartening when they return but when they do I'm not back to the first stage il probably have a couple of spots here and there. Now I know what causes it its alot easier to deal with when they do come back. Yeah the ones they sell in my pharmacy are medically assured and tested https://www.glucorx.co.uk/shop/vitamin-d-home-test-kit/ I'm still getting used to the almond milk after reading your post. I love porridge oats so looking around for gluten free oats to have, seen a few online. It's crazy how expensive allergy foods are compared to day to day food. Never suffered with no allergy and could eat what ever I wanted before I had this so I'm still learning and found your post on here very helpful.

Posted Tue 16 Mar 2021 10.45 by Northerner21

Cheers for the link Rob. I'll be honest I rarely even have my oats now unless I fancy them for breakfast, they soon get boring every morning, maybe once or twice a week now but most of the times I skip breakfast. My diet is not healthy, I have stuff like sugar, dairy and fatty foods all the time to be honest. And I enjoy a drink once or twice a week and smoke. I went down the road in the past of cutting out dairy, sugar and bread and stuff, I went through a stage of only eating meat and vegetables with some blueberries for desert because of the blueberry thread on here. One thing I knew for certain was my body was broken from the inside out so the idea of applying steroid creams and stuff didn't make sense to me. I saw the dermatologist once at my local hospital and she basically gave me 2 options, methotrexate or light treatment. The light therapy sounded best to me because of the damage methotrexate can do to the liver and kidneys. After getting home and researching the light therapy I read that it would help people, but the psoriasis would come back soon after and you were limited to the UVB light exposure you could have before they moved you onto the next option which would have been methotrexate for me before eventually been moved onto cyclosporin (another drug I didn't want to touch with a bargepole) then eventually biologics which is what I felt I needed in the first place but they delay that because of the expense to the NHS. That's when I changed my diet and went onto vitamins, at first it was multivitamins and 1,000 iu vitamin d3 + the diet and I started getting a bit better, that was winter 2019. I stopped with the diet and vitamins even though I was only 40% recovered but at least I was mobile again and not bed bound! I was a fit and healthy active individual running my own physically demanding business before psoriasis and never needed a healthy diet to be fit and strong. The psoriasis destroyed me! It was back in about September last year I ordered my supplements again and this time the 10,000 iu D3, no more blueberries or diets. The oats were purely to get my supplements down at the best time of day. These days I just have my vitamins after my first meal of the day which could be anytime to be honest. Sorry for the longish babble of a post but it's just more information to read for people. Cheers

Posted Tue 16 Mar 2021 11.05 by Rob (edited Tue 16 Mar 2021 11.07 by Rob)

Its not babble mate its experience which we all have differences with and when they are shared it helps other people try things, I feel for people with more serious cases especially making you immobile. I've normally kept to a clean diet as I body build. But since lockdown and gyms shut I've eaten more crap than I normally do.. I normally eat a fairly clean diet ie chicken,turkey,salmon, steak untill I had this so stopped that as red meats can cause an inflammatory response, I eat alot of sweet potato and rice, oats and also eat your usual veg, broccoli, kale, peas, csrrots etc the only fruit I eat are blueberries and strawberries and cook with extra virgin olive oil. I used to have one big "cheat meal" at the weekends whether that be a take away or our own cooked take away that's when I noticed triggers to be honest. I've been drinking mostly every weekend too only a Friday this also has been a trigger but a few days of enstillar it all goes again untill I trigger it off. So diet definitely helps, along with supplements. I still have 2 sugars in my morning coffee but no sugar for the rest coffees I drink and I also drink 3-4 litres water a day or sugar free squash for some flavour. So at the moment you eat what you want and the high dose vit d works and keeps you clear?

Posted Tue 16 Mar 2021 12.46 by Northerner21

I'm 99% clear yes the last bit I'm struggling to shake off is around my chest but even there it is nothing to how my chest was. It's more like spread out small spots the size of a bout 1-2mm diameter that don't bother me at all. I'm looking forward to the summer to get some real sun for that area and also to fade the pink scarring left behind. The other thing I've noticed with my high intake of vitamin d3 is my energy levels, I've not felt this good for about 15 years. Before the psoriasis I thought I had chronic fatigue syndrome or low testosterone. I've always suffered with depression and anxiety too since my teens which seems to be gone! Makes me wonder if it was just vitamin d deficiency all along. All the best mate.

Posted Tue 23 Mar 2021 11.36 by Bramhall17

Very interesting Northerner21 ( btw I'm a Manc !) . I've had mild to medium psoriasis for some 30 years. Twice it was eliminated completely without conventional treatments . First back in the late nineties, a cranky old herbalist in Stockport ( Walter Worthington) gave me an awful tasting black liquid which I had to initially take 3 times a day for 2 months-- then it would be reduced. He looked like a geriatric Einstein !! and his place was pretty run down. I was not at all convinced but stuck with it and amazingly, despite having heavy lesions, it all completely disappeared. Alas he died before I could taper the treatment to a tick over level. Apparently he was 96 and sadly his knowledge died with him. I tried various other herbalists but to no avail my P crept back during the next year. Secondly 3 years ago whilst we were in Peru for 16 days at altitude ( no alcohol ,lots of water and local produce plus drinking the local Coca teas to ward off the effects of altitude) it virtually just disappeared again within the 16 --20 days !! So like you, I am convinced as the legendary Walter said " you have to push it out not in". Mine is not extreme like yours was but it is still embarrassing in summer and inhibits me from activities like swimming at my local gym etc. I've investigated the D3 route and feel it has great potential but was wary of high doses due to the potential for Atherosclerosis . Personally I'm persuaded that I need to take K2, if I sustain above 4000IU/p.d. There are two very inexpensive eBooks you can buy on Amazon ( Kindle) 1) Vitamin D3 Miracle by Jeff .T. Bowles 2) Vitamin K and the Calcium Paradox by Kate Rheaume-Bleue . Both very educational but to be clear not from medical doctors. My current regime in preparation for post lockdown is 1) Slippery Elm Back drink ( x2 AM) . Scaling up my water consumption quite aggressively . Cautiously increasing daily intake of D3+K2 and also from what I found was a very impressive and sensible book 'The Four Horsemen of Psoriasis' Dr. Howard Rybko using his topical Gly-Mag skin treatment ( glycerin oil and magnesium tablets and Dead Sea Spray) which apparently he has had success with for his patients. I have also substantially reduced my alcohol and sugar intake and Pagano like, am very wary of many of the 'nightshades' especially peppers which cause flare ups for me. I'm not convined that potatoes or pasta or rice have a detrimental impact on my skin. I'f your wondering the 4 horsemen are 1) Diet 2) Stress 3 ) Exercise 4) Sleep . My psoriasis is improving significantly as I lock in this natural approach. All the best ............... B17

Posted Thu 25 Mar 2021 14.44 by Northerner21

Good stuff mate, keep it up! I read that that 10,000 iu is the upper limits of safe consumption, drinking plenty of water is definitely recommended. My sleep and stress levels have gotten loads better since I sorted my vitamin d3 deficiency! All the best pal, keep us updated.

Posted Fri 2 Apr 2021 07.14 by Psoriasis boy

@northerner21 just ordered multivitamins, cod liver oil and vitamin d3 10000 IU from nu. My question is do you take 1 of each every day?

Posted Fri 2 Apr 2021 08.07 by Bramhall17

Hi PB --- 'Northerner21' will clarify for himself but personally I take 2x 4000IU Vitamin D3 tablets and 1x Vitamin K2 ( 600 MCG ) per day. Be aware that the recommended D3 daily dosage is 4000, Personally I take the K2 because it is supposed to help to direct the calcium to the right places. At least that is what is postulated in the eBooks I mentioned above in this thread. I'm no doctor but it made sense to me. I also take a Turmeric tablet separately once per day. For me flushing my system by drinking more water also made sense and changing my diet to reduce the toxic overload in the first place also made sense. It is slowly working but no doubt U.V. treatment is also something to think about if you have real issues.

Posted Sat 3 Apr 2021 10.53 by Northerner21 (edited Sat 3 Apr 2021 18.45 by Northerner21)

@psoriasis boy Yes I took one of each, each day for a good 3 months, I skip days here and there now but have them at least 4 times a week. Bramhall17, It's really great to hear you are improving bud, keep at it... My next mission is cutting out alcohol and smoking which is going to be tough. I also drank loads of water when I started with my vitamins but I've been slacking. All the best

Posted Thu 27 May 2021 09.22 by Kelly90

Hi everyone :-) I read things about vitamin d3 and cod liver oil here. I have been taking vitamin D for a while, but I never thought of cod liver oil! While you hear a lot of positive things about it (even from people who used to get it, that they were young). I immediately ordered capsules, because it seems interesting to try. Also because cod liver oil also contains vitamin D, but besides that also vitamin A, which seems to be good for the skin! How long did it take for you to notice any difference? I'm not someone who give up after a month, but im a bit curious! :-) Kelly

Posted Thu 27 May 2021 19.25 by Psoriasis boy

Hello everyone! I'm back with an update. I basically suffered from an infection in February and my psoriasis came back with vengeance. Mind I was clear for 5 years. It spread all over my face and arms and a bit on my legs and on my groin. It got so bad that I had to take a break from uni ( even if it was online. I couldn't make myself sit in front of a computer due to the pain, intense itching, depressed and ashamed to turn my camera on for zoom). So bought the multivitamins, vitamin D3 10.000 ou, cod liver oil and vitamin K from nu mid march if I'm not mistaken. I've been taking 1 of each except for vitamin d3 which I take 4. I can happily say now as I'm writing this my face has cleared completely, my arms where the legions were red, scaly and flakey have turned to grey purple (I'm Indian Portuguese so have brown skin, hence the colour.) with no flaking and my legs have cleared too. For my diet I've followed a keto diet but with a spin. I don't eat rice or oats. I eat chicken, turkey and fish for meats, apples for fruits and all the vegetables except for nightshade. Since I go to gym and a road cyclist who races I eat sweat potato for my carb intake when ik I have a tough training session. I don't drink, not smoke and no dairy. I eats nakd bars here and there cause it has dates and nuts which are good clean source of sugar and I haven't had a flare up yet. I also take l glutamine in water before I go to bed about 30g. So clean diet, supplements and excersise are all needed for clear skin. Being young (I'm 21 ) ive got the willpower to stay away from the crap that makes my skin go bad. Hope this helps everyone on here and I pray for your speed recovery!

To take part, sign in or register with us