Resuming Methotrexate After a Break

Posted Thu 21 Oct 2021 00.09 by SammieJ (edited Thu 21 Oct 2021 00.23 by SammieJ)
Psoriasis (guttate and plague) and PSA . Struggling!

Hi. I have been unwell and decided to have a break from the methotrexate. I was trying to see how my skin and joints would be without it as the side effects were ruining my life. I’ve been so much more unwell since I had C-19 in January 2021 mostly feeling run down and very tired in top of the increase in psoriasis severity and the widespread pain and stiffness. It tipped me over the edge when they added sulfasalazine and I collapsed; I just couldn’t take anymore amd don’t think I was strong enough to cope with the side effects so I stopped everything. I’ve had a little bit more energy and am less depressed but the flare has now reached a level I cannot manage and my quality of life is still rubbish. I have asked for help from the rheumatologist but not heard anything so I have written to them to ask if I can be considered for different treatment so I can have some sort of life. I’ve been on methotrexate for 3 years and take 20mg weekly by pen injection. As I’ve had a break for a good few weeks, do you think I will be safe to restart it at the same dose? I have not done this vis my GP or consultant as I feel they just don’t understand how I feel. I appreciate any help or advice anyone can give based on experiences etc Thanks in advance. X

Posted Thu 21 Oct 2021 08.42 by lizziep

I am so sorry to hear that it is getting you down so much. I too stopped my medication (skilerence) at the beginning of the pandemic and wish to go back on it. I too wrote to my Consultant, but I am told that it will be at least 12 months from when I wrote last April before I will be seen again. I still have the medication, but I don't think it is a good idea to start taking it again without supervision, so I wont be restarting until I have been seen. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but these are powerful drugs and we do need monitoring. If you cant get to see the Consultant, the GP would be able to advise you, I am sure. Try to stay positive. You have survived COVID - things may start looking better for you soon.

Posted Thu 21 Oct 2021 09.12 by SammieJ
Psoriasis (guttate and plague) and PSA . Struggling!

Lizziep thanks so much for the reply. I agree as I was on a high dose. I think will contact my GP and ask being as rheumatology is so unresponsive at present. I am hoping the letter I have done will get me a response soon and I maybe offered a change in medication as I have requested that as an outcome. I’ve only been offered the first line of treatment throughout so I am sure that I am entitled to ask for a review so I can try and find one that sorts out the condition but doesn’t make me so unwell as a result. Right now it’s a choice between the disease attacking me and making me unwell, or the disease symptoms reduced a little but the side effects making me unwell. I feel that having had covid I should be able to have something to celebrate about my health as I was so lucky to be able to come through that without complications, just it’s accelerated my psoriasis and PsA so I am sure I’m entitled to ask for further help at this stage. Here’s to getting heard and having a better time ahead! Xxx

To take part, sign in or register with us