Scalp psoriasis....Any suggestions??

Posted Sat 8 Jan 2022 09.28 by Sam
Still got it ;) (the psoriasis I mean..)

Morning all, I’d appreciate some advice! I’m having difficulty getting my scalp psoriasis under control and was prescribed a “regime” by a dermatologist a month ago. 7 days of Betamousse, then 7 days of Locoid scalp lotion and then alternate nights of locoid and use sparingly to maintain improvement. What improvement!?? The back of my scalp is tight and unbelievably dry and sore. My hairdresser who can see my scalp psoriasis at the back in all its glory was pretty shocked at how it had changed in the space of 5 weeks. I’ve stopped using the locoid and awaiting a call back from the consultant. At my wits end as I really thought this would help.

Posted Sat 8 Jan 2022 13.16 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Sat 8 Jan 2022 13.17 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

Many people have found Betamousse to be excellent. Many also find coal-tar based treatments to be effective. One such is Cocois or Sebco (two brand names for the same treatment). I did not find it easy to use as I live alone and have a head of thick hair. It might need a second person to part your hair to be able to apply it to the scalp. Trying to do it myself, I found most of it wound up on my hair and not on the scalp. I also used T-Gel shampoo. I had few plaques on my scalp but terrible itching all over. I started using Alphacade PSO shampoo and it gave great relief without drying out my hair - and it smelt pleasant also: https://www.cocooncenter.co.uk/item-dermatologie-alphacade-shampoo-pso-severe-cases-of-dandruff-200ml/14313.html If you want to buy it, search online and compare prices, some places offering it as asking stupidly high prices. I bought from the link given.

Posted Sat 8 Jan 2022 13.37 by Sam
Still got it ;) (the psoriasis I mean..)

Thanks for your reply.. I found as soon as I stopped the betamousse and switched to locoid, that was when the tightness, dryness and itching returned. I’ll speak to the dermatologist regarding the cocois as my scalp definitely needs something to soften the lesions. I used coal tar for ankle lesions many years ago and found it be very effective. Thanks again

Posted Wed 12 Jan 2022 12.38 by Tobysgranny

I found using Dovobet Gel helped clear my scalp psoriasis and Capasal shampoo applied neatly onto the affected area got rid of any greasiness.

Posted Sat 15 Jan 2022 23.32 by ItchyA

Hi, been having a scalp breakout recently with thick scales, enstilar foam is working really well, shame it's not doing the same for my legs. Worth a shot! There's also diprosalic scalp application, which contains salicylic acid to breakdown scales. Both are prescription medications.

Posted Thu 30 Mar 2023 19.51 by Ntsh

I had one/first scalp flare-up only at the back of the head, very very itchy and very dry. I usez a zinc pyrithione lotion (Blue Cap): 3 days of use cleared 90% of the affected area, then another 10 days of the same lotion (2 times a day) and I have a clear scalp with no itching and dryness. This lotion does not actually dry the skin but keeps it moist. It helped a lot with itching and dryness. It looks so far like a remission. Been hearing that Blue Cap has really good feedback but it’’s been forbbiden in USA due to (my opinion) “political” means. I also used Blue Cap Shampoo, alternating with Dercos Pso. I had the luck that the first product I tried actually worked really well. I can see a lot of people here are struggling and I am sad for everybody that has to go through this. Be strong!

Posted Mon 3 Apr 2023 15.50 by Jay

I have had scalp psoriasis for 3 years now. Recently I started using dovobet ointment but I am worried as I haven't seen any significant changes yet. I couldn't get dovobet gel so I got the ointment to use on my scalp I don't know if I should be worried.

Posted Wed 12 Apr 2023 16.34 by Peter S
I have psoriasis on about 1/3 of my body...have had it for over 10 years and its getting worse.

I find that Dovobet works completely differently depending on where I apply it. I had bad psoriasis on my ears and eyebrows, and just a tiny amount of Dovobet makes that go away for weeks. It works well also on forehead...but on the rest of scalp it has little effect. Same with body. Around my middle, stomach and sides, Dovobet works very well and quickly....but on my legs and back it has very little effect.

Posted Fri 14 Apr 2023 10.15 by freecat2k@yahoo.co.uk

I have had scalp psoriasis mostly in rather than off since the age of 7. After abandoning coal tar treatment as a child nothing was px for many years but I found changing shampoo frequently helped and using poly tar shampoo once a week maybe. I have used dovobet to good effect at times. Best of all has been finding shampoo with few additives. Currently I use ethica baby solid bar for hair and body and Olsson sensitive shampoo. Hair conditioner is also a psoriasis activator for me . I use the Olsson leave in conditioner for the least irritation. Good to hear other experiences of this annoying problem

Posted Mon 24 Apr 2023 15.21 by PrincessDi

I live in the US but if available, Dermarest shampoo seems to help

Posted Thu 27 Apr 2023 20.23 by LaughingFlea

I use Epimax Isomol Gel, which is great for softening the scalp. It leaves the moist feeling on my head. I also have the Dobovet Gel as well, but I do not use it often, as I work and would have to wash my hair every morning. My scalp psoriasis seems to be bad for over the year now. I might start an intense treatment when I retire, not possible at the moment.

To take part, sign in or register with us