Lotion Recommendation for Psoriasis?

Posted Tue 11 Jan 2022 07.51 by AaronColquitt

Hi I am looking for a cheap recommendation for Psoriasis, Is there any products that is recommended for psoriasis? I read this article and it says Lotion can help. Read more here: https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/psoriasis/prevent-flare-ups

Posted Tue 11 Jan 2022 08.21 by Greytop

Hello, Blueberries help my condition greatly, though my psoriasis is quite mild.

Posted Tue 11 Jan 2022 13.05 by lizziep

Hi Aaron - your Doctor is the best person to give you advice on what to use for Psoriasis.

1 Posted Sun 23 Jan 2022 01.47 by Mary1968 (edited Sat 18 Jun 2022 13.25 by Mary1968)

Aaron. Don't just rely on your doctor. They will just give you a steroid cream, which will have side effects. Food grade cold pressed virgin coconut oil is reasonably cheap, but works out cheaper as a little goes a long way. Helps enormously and with no side effects. EDIT: Cannot believe some nobb gave me a down vote for this!!!??? Coconut oil WORKS extremely well with NO side effects..........what could be better than that.

Posted Tue 7 Jun 2022 21.13 by Anon0412 (edited Wed 8 Jun 2022 22.24 by Anon0412)

Epimax Lotion has helped wonders for my husband and my mums friend. A small amount goes far and is very hydrating. It helps other cream treatments absorb more easily. I use it myself on my legs after shaving and it seems to soothe and keeps skin moisturised for ages. Easy to rub into scalp area and leave overnight. Wash out following evening if you can. But next morning would be fine. Just repeat as often as possible. This is literally £4 for a 500g bottle! It’s amazing!!

Posted Tue 7 Jun 2022 21.14 by Anon0412

I also agree with the cold coconut press too

Posted Wed 8 Jun 2022 22.17 by Orlaith&Emma

My little girl has psoriasis on her hands and feet and we have tried lots of prescribed creams. However, the last week we have tried Sudocrem and it is working a treat!!

Posted Thu 9 Jun 2022 07.19 by SharonG

Flexitol

Posted Wed 15 Jun 2022 22.49 by Lauren.E

Aveeno worked great for me, £10 for a big bottle and lasts ages, but you can get it put as a repeat prescription from your GP.

Posted Mon 4 Jul 2022 22.13 by Rads68

Hydromol cream. Not ointment.

Posted Tue 5 Jul 2022 04.37 by gilteva

If the medical library does not say that something is good for Psoriasis, it means that it is not good for Psoriasis. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=Hydromol+psoriasis

Posted Tue 5 Jul 2022 21.51 by Jeanneq09

I agree with someone above, GP suggestions and from dermatologist are useless, here in the U.K., I was given years ago samples from a pharmacist for frezyderm psoriasis range, it’s very good, it’s a Greek brand and it’s what dermatologist over there give for psoriasis. It’s a 4 step range, and really take most of symptoms away without damaging the skin (which steroid creams do).

Posted Sat 9 Jul 2022 13.19 by JohnnyV

I don't think we should dismiss all GP's and dermatologists - although some may try and appear more knowledgeable than they really are. The truth is its difficult to treat a condition when the cause isn't known and each sufferer is effected differently. You shouldn't be struggling to pay for treatment - that's why visiting your GP is vital although I know its not easy to get an appointment right now. But you could at least try and get a video call or an appointment with a practice nurse. I do think using lotions is a good idea but in my experience they only really help when the condition is in remission anyway. GP's don't only prescribe steriod creams. I was given QV cream (made by ego) which i think is very good. I think its used widely in the health service. They also make a gentle wash which is equally good. I hope this is useful.

Posted Sun 10 Jul 2022 11.40 by Jill

Base Glaxal lotion and Base Glaxal cream works great for me super hydrating and not greasy.

Posted Tue 12 Jul 2022 14.27 by Mandylifeboats

I have used everything I think. Steroid ointments did clear my plaque psoriasis but, my skin got used to it and it's not so effective anymore. TBH petroleum jelly is great to stop skin cracking but - I would advise seeing your GP they will advise

Posted Fri 15 Jul 2022 20.00 by Fabio116
Yes, all my life.

I have tried all possible moisturisers, the one that works best for me alongside the shower cream is from La Roche posay. Frankly the cheaper moisturisers like E45 are not effective enough. Hope this helps. Fabio in London.

Posted Sat 16 Jul 2022 10.18 by Reuben82

Hydromol and enstillar can be very affective when used together

Posted Mon 18 Jul 2022 18.26 by LaughingFlea

I tried CerkoDerm30 which is a moisturiser with 30% urea. It softens the psoriasis which comes of easily, but does not stop the re-grows. Dovobet gel does work but you can only use 5mg (tea spoon) over 24 hours. This is not enough to treat my whole scalp. Also it cannot be used for a long time. My hairdresser recently recommended pure organic coconut oil. I dab the skin at night before I wash my hair in the morning, not every night, about twice a week. I have just started this regime, but the scalp is much clearer and normal after the treatment. I want to see if there are any long term benefits. I will look into Frezyderm for psoriasis as it sounds good, but I need to find out if there are any side effects first.

To take part, sign in or register with us