Please help with my scalp psoriasis!

Posted Mon 9 May 2022 13.18 by rich-sucks

Hi all, I have suffered fairly quietly with scalp issues for years but now I'm ready to blow. I have a very sensitive scalp and fair skin. The primary beef I have is the crown of my scalp which you can see here: https://ibb.co/L5CVLGM I'm getting nowhere with all the shampoos, treatments, my doctor thought it was lice and now I'm hoping you can help me. Any ideas if it is psoriasis and anything I can do to sooth it? My hair is falling it in clumps!

Posted Mon 9 May 2022 16.13 by Niles

Hi, I had bad psoriasis on my scalp last summer, i didn't realise what it was at first and it got to the stage where my hair began to fall out too and I had bare patches on my head. I oiled my scalp initially with olive oil. I would leave it on overnight and this helped to loosed the scale, so that when I applied the dovabet gel, a few weeks later, it was getting straight onto my scalp rather than the scale. I also looked at my diet and have changed several things about it. I am still getting a bit of light scale on my scalp, which I am managing with the oil at the moment, but most importantly my hair is growing back. It might be useful to go back to the doctor and see if you can get it diagnosed properly and then you can move forward with some kind of treatment. I know everyone's experience of psoriasis is different and what works for one, doesn't work for another, but thought I would share what seems to be working for me. Good luck.

Posted Tue 10 May 2022 09.49 by leejacks

I use betamousse for flare ups, can't use it all the time, and capasal shampoo maybe 3 times a week. Can be a bit flaky sometimes but rarely itches.

Posted Mon 23 May 2022 15.50 by rich-sucks

Hiya, I think its folliculitis - any advice please?

Posted Thu 2 Jun 2022 06.01 by gilteva

Use coal tar shampoo. Like t/gel And stay in the sun to get vitamin D3. Or search for lamp for Psoriasis

Posted Sun 5 Jun 2022 11.49 by Mark

Hi You could ask your GP to refer you to a dermatologist to have it diagnosed correctly. Good luck

Posted Mon 6 Jun 2022 22.17 by Anon0412

Hi my husband suffered from terrible scalp psoriasis! Shampoos never worked and the thick dovobet gel he was prescribed was just too tricky to use through hair. My mum has a friend who had it terribly on her arms. She gave me some Dovobet Gel…liquid gel not the horrible feeling thick stuff. I have read a lot of people don’t want to use this due to the steroids. But also a bottle of epimax which is an emollient cream. We tried the gel which was so much easier to apply than the thicker stuff and alternated daily with the epimax cream which again is so easy to the scalp. We have literally got rid of it all!! And Epimax is sooo cheap to buy. Apply epimax into scalp and leave overnight. This moisturises the scalp. Following night apply the watery gel to the real bad areas. My husbands scalp psoriasis has gone within a week of doing this! It’s incredible. Will now only use the gel or cream when really required but will continue to use Epimax. Appreciate not everything agrees but totally think it’s worth a try…and no horrible smells Just using the cream majority of the time, his back is completely scale free. Just waiting for the redness to disappear. Good luck!

Posted Fri 17 Jun 2022 21.15 by VickiA

I use polytar shampoo for my scalp and its great for clearing psorasis. I cant smell it after using and really does help.

Posted Sat 18 Jun 2022 17.50 by Hpw

I’ve suffered with my scalp for years - in fact it was the first place where my psoriasis started. What I’ve found to help is only using shampoos which are free from SLS (sodium laureth sulphate). Rinsing with apple cider vinegar can help but if the patches are raw it stings - and definitely stings if it gets in your eyes! When it’s really bad I use almond or coconut oil on my scalp. I apply, leave on over night then wash my hair in the morning. Put shampoo onto dry hair when doing this so the oil comes off (a lesson I quickly learned!) then wash, otherwise you look like you’ve dipped our hair in a deep fat fryer!

Posted Sun 19 Jun 2022 01.54 by JamesFoster

I would say use Sebco on the plaques for a few hours. Then I would recommend Alphosyl shampoo. And occasional use of betnovate scalp application. If it spreads and gets worse then there are things like Etrivex and Enstilar. I myself used T Gel and betnovate for over 25 years. But then the PS spread to my face, genitals, elbows and knees. So I went on Methotrexate. That helped but triggered side effects. So now I'm waiting to receive Skyrizi after my Consultant recommended it.

Posted Tue 5 Jul 2022 21.45 by Jeanneq09 (edited Tue 5 Jul 2022 21.46 by Jeanneq09)

Hi, I am suffering with my second flare up of guttate psoriasis and my hair line and scalp psoriasis went crazy. I was recommended Philip Kingsley flaky scalp range, I use the shampoo and toner, it’s AMAZING, I really really recommend it! If your hair line is bad like mine, I would suggest investing in a hand healed uvb light, got mine from uv derma, as I need it for other parts of the body. You can also use tea tree based shampoo but to be honest the PK stuff is even better. Here is a link, and all the best https://www.philipkingsley.co.uk/concern/scalp-problems.html

Posted Sun 7 Aug 2022 04.58 by Mary1968

Hello there Oh poor you. Scalp psoriasis is the absolute worse thing. I use to have it REAL bad, and was forever picking my head. Drove me nuts. When I cleared with diet and supplements, my scalp was the very last area to clear up. It was just so stubborn and lingered on for months after the rest of my body had cleared up. I had to see a dermatologist yesterday for another skin issue, and he checked my scalp and said he could not see a single trace of scalp psoriasis. I definitely had a small patch there last year Over winter, I have been taking Vitamin C, Zinc, Vitamin D3, Vitamin K and Marine Collagen. I have never taken Vitamin K before. I am taking it for gum health. I just wonder if the combination of Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K taken together, has helped clear up that patch.

Posted Sun 7 Aug 2022 10.56 by rich-sucks

Thank you everyone for your replies. I went to see a trichologist the other week who has said it's folliculitis and has recommended to the GP that I take Lymecycline until I see some improvements. The patch blows up in the sun. Has anyone got any recommendations for what else I can use to help? I thought of scalp moisturisers but which? Thanks again!

To take part, sign in or register with us