Embarrassed to get scan done at hospital

Posted Mon 16 May 2022 19.36 by Marko2022

I am wondering if anyone else has been in this position? I have to get an ultrasound scan done on Wednesday for a different health issue and this will require me to show my legs. I have large red patches on my calves and knees, I managed to get rid of the skin flakes with the gel the doctor prescribed me but it didn't remove the red patches. The thought of having to expose my psoriasis to the radiotherapist and whoever else is in the room is a terrible thought. They probably have seen skin conditions before in their job but it would still be very awkward for me. I am more worried about that than the reason I am actually getting the scan done.

Posted Sat 28 May 2022 04.08 by Mary1968

Hello You will just need to get over your awkwardness. Simple as that. Otherwise you will be feeling very unhappy. Better to not give a damn. As I always say to myself when worried ........Take a deep breathe, pull up your big girl panties, and power on. You will see these people for 30 minutes or so out of your life, and not likely to see them ever again. Why would you care what they think? They will have forgotten about you by the next day, as have loads of patients to see, with all sorts of other weird and wonderful health issues If you are that worried, I suggest speaking to the radiotherapist prior, and advising you have psoriasis on your legs. I find it always better to take ownership, than leave something to the reaction of others Whenever I use to make a massage or hairdressers appointment, I always said outright that I had psoriasis, and did they have any knowledge or experience of it. Usually they did and told me not to worry. And if no, I would simply say it was a non-contagious skin condition, that may be a bit confronting for them. If they know what it is prior, they are likely to be professional and not react. :) Try being braver and forthright about this - it makes life so much simpler and stress-free for you Good luck

To take part, sign in or register with us