Breastfeeding with psoriasis

Posted Sun 13 Jan 2013 21.53 by Weejen77
Since aged 8 Cleared completely with pregnancy but returned with a vengeance afterwards

Has anyone any advice on this? went along the doctor for six week check after having my baby and explained that my psoriasis had returned and was on my chest making feeding sore. Was proscribed dovonex but it says not to use it whilst feeding. I've had psoriasis a long time and I'm really not keen on steroids whilst breadt feeding! and it's the same old treatments that are prescribed again and again - surely there must be alternatives ? I'm positive the doctor actually sighed when I said I had psoriasis!

Posted Mon 14 Jan 2013 18.03 by sarah (edited Fri 8 Feb 2013 13.22 by maazchowhan)
I have plaque, guttate, inverse and scalp psoriasis that covers all of my body. I've had it for about 10years but on New Years Day it flared

When I had my son, I too wanted to breastfeed and was told to use aloe vera and rub breastmilk around my nipples to help stop them cracking. I don't think it would work now as my psoriasis is much worse, but it wrked back then. I bought a big tube of aloe vera gelfrom Holland & Barrett for about £3 and it lasted ages.

Posted Fri 8 Feb 2013 13.27 by Weejen77
Since aged 8 Cleared completely with pregnancy but returned with a vengeance afterwards

Thanks for the aloe tip. Here's an update...psoriasis has now got much worse so went back to same doctor to ask for light treatment - this has worked in the past. Asked doctor if I could be recommended as soon as possible as breast feeding is very sore. Doctor said there's a three month waiting list and they are very busy and I have to realise this. She hoped I wouldn't have to give up breast feeding but there might not be an alternative. Really upset as I managed to feed my first child or a year through having light treatment. Does it depend on the doctor? Should I see someone else??

Posted Fri 11 Oct 2013 08.17 by Laura82
Had p since aged 4, so 27 yrs, had loads of treatments including topical steroids, uv light, PUVA, oral methotrexate, injected methotrexate

I have chronic p, struggled with bf and no treatment for 3 months just epederm thankfully got light treatment and got skin manageable however when stopped p has returned really bad covering my whole body, started on humira again still feeding and using epederm just hate how little on is covered in skin after feed. Hope ur doing ok.

Posted Fri 11 Oct 2013 10.48 by scabby cow
Palmar pustular psoriasis and a job that involves a lot of walking/handwashing. Throw a toddler into the mix so not enough rest!

I cant really help as I have pppp but just a thought I think my trigger was my multivitamin I used are you taking one? Have you tried shea butter also? Its edible and may help with the soreness if it doesnt flare you up. Also I use the superdrug dry skin stuff for work (white bottle) and one of the girls with p on her face tried some and it really helped instantly so maybe something else to try in the meantime. Makes me sad to read this because bf is such a special time for you, probably sounds like a none issue to most people but I feel your pain.

Posted Fri 11 Oct 2013 10.50 by scabby cow
Palmar pustular psoriasis and a job that involves a lot of walking/handwashing. Throw a toddler into the mix so not enough rest!

Also contact UNICEF and ask for the list of potential savings to the nhs by breast feeding a baby ;) show it to your dr and tell them you want to help.

Posted Sun 20 Oct 2013 19.48 by Weejen77

Thank you for your helpful comments! Well still breastfeeding after almost 11 months! :) Got light treatment which gave me 3 months P free then came back with a vengeance ! Phoned La Leche who we're brilliant at finding out what I should and shouldn't use on my skin whilst feeding also there is a breastfeeding 'guru' called called Dr tom Hale who has carried out extensive research into what medicines are ok whilst bf. If you're in the same situation please preserve with the bf it's the best for you and your baby and may even help prevent them from having skin conditions and has lots of other health benefits.There is help out there. I found a more sympathetic gp and got a referral to a dermatologist eventually so don't be fobbed off. I was told once by a dr that psoriasis was not a serious condition as it wasn't life threatening and I was just to cope with it - I was shortly after hospitalised with 80% coverage! The more people we educate about this condition the better.

Posted Fri 16 Jan 2015 02.45 by NadiaT
I have had psoriasis since the age of 8 and battled with it since.

I have had psoriasis treatment orally. It's a tablet called cyclosporin and works well for me however now that I'm breast feeding I am not taking it. The flare up has gotten horrendous and I've had to mix feed lately but I really don't want to give up on breastfeeding! What do I do and How can I manage this situation! Please help!

To take part, sign in or register with us