Guttate Psoriasis

Posted Sun 30 Apr 2017 22.35 by Twinkles

Hi, I'm recently experienced my first outbreak of guttate psoriasis at the beginning of March after a throat infection. Initially prescribed Cetraben but went back to GP as it was spreading and itchy and prescribed Dovobet. GP has said I can only use it for 4 weeks. It helped but was still getting new spots everyday. There are spots on every part of my body. Nearly 2 months on, I've just had another throat infection last week and on antibiotics, really hoping I don't get another reaction. I've stopped the Dovobet as had used it for 4 weeks and I'm now getting more spots daily, getting redder and itchy again. Cetraben doesn't really help. Been referred to dermatologist but letter suggests at least a 26 week wait. Anyway I wondered if anyone knew how long I should have a break from Dovobet before I go back on it as it did help but did not clear it completely? Is there anything I can use in the meantime when I cant use Dovobet? Also has anyone had a throat infection since first getting guttate and not had a flare up or is it inevitable?

Posted Mon 1 May 2017 15.09 by SoniaR

I'm currently experiencing my fourth outbreak, all of them followed strep throat, I can only speak from personal experience but these four throat infections are the only ones I've had and obviously I've suffered with guttate psoriasis with each but like I say that's just personal experience 😔

Posted Mon 1 May 2017 20.13 by Twinkles

Thanks for that Sonia its helpful to hear from others, I don't know anyone else who has it. I'm probably waiting for another outbreak then sadly, on top of the first outbreak. It happened a couple weeks after the throats infection started last time. Has anything helped you manage the outbreaks?

Posted Mon 1 May 2017 20.59 by SoniaR

I've been very fortunate in the sense that my first outbreak was in 1999 following strep throat then I didn't have another one until 2007! Again following strep throat and then I had strep throat last year and again the guttate psoriasis followed a couple of weeks later, however this time has come a lot sooner from my last outbreak and it hadn't cleared up properly from the last outbreak so I seem to have it even worse this time round!! I'm very fortunate because I'm undergoing phototherapy at the moment but I've only had a couple of sessions so it's not done anything yet, I'm having uvb which I've had before and to be fare it didn't really do a great deal, so I then went on to have bath puva which was brilliant!! It didn't completely clear it but enough so I could show flesh again lol!! I've used betnovate the last couple of times which works for a while but then I think my skin gets used to it! I do feel your pain it's a horrible thing to have and you just want it to go but unfortunately there's no quick fix! I've also used dead Sea salt in my baths and coal tar, I didn't notice any significant improvement but I think you have to stick with it and I just get so disheartened!! I've found that aloe Vera gel really soothes the itching and I keep it in the fridge so it's extra soothing! I also have type 1 diabetes which is also an autoimmune disease so this probably doesn't help me 😠 I hope you manage to get some help to control yours and hopefully get rid 😘 the next time you get the hint of a soar throat ask your Dr to take a swab to confirm strep throat and then hopefully you'll be able to get on top of it before things get too bad again xx

Posted Tue 2 May 2017 09.17 by Jude_603

Hi, I am 35 and on my second outbreak of guttate both occurred after nasty throat infections. First one only occurred last year had never had any form of psoarisis to that point! I have never been so frustrated. I found after two weeks in Corfu last year and then two months of phototherapy I was completely cleared. The major battle is actual getting seen and referred. I paid privately to see a dermatologist the first time as my wait was going to be 20 weeks!!! This time I am really struggling as it is worse than last time. I have found doublebase gel really effective. I was wondering if anyone has had tonsillectomy to prevent the throat infections as I actually don't think I could go through this a third time?! Xxxxx

Posted Tue 2 May 2017 12.31 by SoniaR

I wondered the same but apparently there's not enough evidence to prove it does make a difference because I believe you can get strep throat even without tonsils but please don't quote me on that it's just what I've read! I find this time of year particularly hard as it's starting to warm up and yet still walking round in full winter attire just to keep covered up!! I hope you get some help very soon x

Posted Tue 2 May 2017 20.06 by Twinkles

It is such a long wait to see dermatologist! I think the GP thought it would be gone by the time I was seen but it's worse than ever although no sign of an appointment yet either. It sounds like phototherapy is needed although even that doesn't seem a quick process. I'm with you on the cover up. The long sleeves and trousers be harder in warm weather. I get self conscious as it's on the backs of my hands and my feet so even trying to cover up doesn't hide it all. Good luck Sonia with the phototherapy hope it starts making a difference soon. Hope you get seen soon Jude xx

Posted Thu 4 May 2017 21.36 by Abbiesilver89

Hiya, signed up to use this forum tonight as i really need advice or just to know im not on my own! Always had psorasis (very minor) however in the last 2 months i have been absolutley covered in what appears to be gullate psorasis. It is everywhere. Cannot believe how much and quick it has spread. I was ref to dermatologist but like many of you have said the wait is a long time, going private at the end of this month so i am hoping and praying that whatever they suggest works quick. As a young woman its completely knocked any confidence i had.. psorasis sucks:(

Posted Fri 5 May 2017 22.00 by Twinkles

You most definitely are not on your own. It's understandable that it's affected your confidence especially if like me you don't feel you can wear short sleeve tops or skirts/dresses. I feel like everyone is staring at my hands and feet but people say they don't notice. Not sure if they just saying it or I'm just more aware of it and think everyone else is too. Hopefully private appointment will be a success and you get rid soon. Do you have to pay for all the treatment too if you go private or just to see dermatologist? I'd consider going private but read treatment may not be a quick fix sadly so worry it'll be really expensive. Good luck with appointment. Be good to know what treatment they recommend and if it works. Wish you well x

Posted Mon 8 May 2017 20.30 by Abbiesilver89

Thanks for your reply. I feel like the conditon is worsening day by day and with nt final university exams looming, i think thats making it a whole lot worse :( I have to pay for the initial consultant appt. 180 pound, not sure on treatment but at this private hospital NHS patients can visits i just want to start the ball rolling. Cant stop scratching everywhere and its all bleeding:/ aahhhh . Anyone who has had treatment- are you scarred from the psorasis at all? Thankyou!

Posted Mon 8 May 2017 21.21 by SoniaR

Aw bless you lovely, I'm really itchy this time round and it drives me crazy 😩 I wouldn't say I've scarred from past bouts but the pigments in my skin have been a slightly different colour - where I've had light treatment and I've tanned as the psoriasis goes the patches are paler than the rest of my skin in some areas but that's with guttate psoriasis which is obviously very wide spread and more spotty than plaque psoriasis! I guess it's different for fdifferent people 😕 I'm currently having uvb light treatment and just feel so fed up at the moment because I'm sure it's still coming out but I know I'm lucky to be receiving this treatment and I just have to be patient! I hope you can get the help you need soon xx

Posted Thu 11 May 2017 14.53 by RR2691x

My first 2 outbursts came after a throat infection where I was given light treatme t. Third outburst came from no where and was given methotrexate which cleared it, but came back not long after. 4th outburst came from no whete. Currently covered in spots and am using dubovet. Haven't been told I can only use it for 4 weeks, just that I can only use it once a day. Seems to be the same time of year for me, is this the case with anyone else?? I have a holiday coming up which usually ends up clearing my skin after sitting in the sun but is awful embarrassing standing in a bikini with spots everywhere! Glad I'm not the only one! Thanks guys.

Posted Thu 11 May 2017 16.15 by SoniaR

That's really weird mine always start in April!! Just as the weather starts to warm up a little! And I appear to be the only person walking round covered up head to toe lol! I've had to go on holiday covered in spots and you're right it's embarrassing but does it the world of good! Mine has never cleared up completely after my very first outbreak but has been under control enough for me not to be self conscious - hopefully I'll get to that point again! I'm sorry other people are going through what I am but is nice to know I'm not alone!! Xxx

Posted Fri 12 May 2017 11.47 by Bamboosgirl (edited Fri 12 May 2017 11.48 by Bamboosgirl)

Hello everyone, I have registered today as I am now on my 3rd bout of Guttate Psoriasis. This one is worse than the others and I am totally covered from head to toe. It is all over my face which is very embarrassing. I am a mature student nurse and it is on my arms and now one of my hands has some break outs too! I wont be able to go on placements with it as the arms below the elbow need to be bare. I am so distressed with it. I too think it has occurred at the same time of year which is a very interesting fact. I have been referred to Dermatology but the response could be a long time before an appointment is given. I cant bare the itching, it is horendous. I have tried homeopathy which didn't work. The doctor has given me antihistamines that don't work. I am at my wits end with it. It concurred after Strep throat infection each time, this time was about 7 weeks ago, the spots started to appear about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Stress doesn't help and also the warm air as I too cover up everywhere I can. I had my tonsils out years ago so have it them removed will not help stop the strep throat infections. How long am I going to suffer with this before it disappears? Can anyone help me please?

1 Posted Fri 12 May 2017 12.41 by stowens

I have had very bad long term experiences with Dovobet and would highly recommned avoiding it at all costs. I have had Guttate psoriasis since I was 15 and over the years had various outbreaks with at points it covering most of my body and moving to my face. I have always used Dovobet on my body and it has helped temporarily relieve it but long term it just comes back. I had a case last year where I started getting small patches on my face, I stupidly took to applying Dovobet to these areas and on my body, again it relieved the patches till it got to a point where I run out and it wasnt really working. Fast forward a few weeks and my skin started getting worse and worse to the point where my eyes were surrounded with Psoriasis and were swollen. It looked like an allergic reaction and I couldnt work out what had happened. I read and saw things online where people have had withdrawal symptons to Dovobet. I then worked out that this is what had happened as there was no other reason for it being so bad. After not touching Dovobet and just applying Coconut oil and Cocoa Butter every day to soothe my skin and ate alot healthier my skin cleared to having one or two small patches on my whole body.I had a similar thing the year before but at the time I put it down to hayfever (silly i know) but never for one minute thought that the ointment would cause such a bad outbreak. I now wont touch Dovobet ever again, I am currently experiencing an outbreak due to having Tonsilitus and am dealing with it and am taking antibiotics to cure the infection but wont revert to steroid ointments as I know what will happen. My advice is to relax, keep soothing the patches, cut back on sugar and coffee and start taking Acidophilus 5Billion capsules, I take 3 a day and this keeps the bad bacteria levels down which from research have found that is one cause for guttate psoriasis and can really help, it will take time for any flare up to go down but please from experience do not use Dovobet it will only suppress the Psoriasis and will come back even worse.

Posted Fri 12 May 2017 19.38 by Bamboosgirl

Thank you, that was very useful, I have not used dovobet, just oilatum. Though I was given steroid tablets for 1 week with no effect. Maybe that ha made it spread worse. I am worried about my face as I do have some small and growing patches near my eyes. What food did you eat?

Posted Fri 12 May 2017 20.06 by stowens

I understand completely how you feel since my outbreak last year I have had a small one under my eye that won't go, as of last week I have a couple more on my eye lid which is unfortable. The best thing I have found is coconut oil but not too excessive and it's natural. I basically cut out sugar and certain carbs like potatoes bread so wheat and gluten and ate more fish and vegetables. I think it helped but time was more of a key thing to the recovery, it's a real frustrating thing, I have been so happy for 6-7 months with hardly anything and since I was ill last week it's just erupted and it's amazing what it does to your mood etc. Try and stay positive that's what I'm doing right now and try not too stress. I find having Epsom salt baths really relieves my skin too.

Posted Fri 12 May 2017 20.37 by Twinkles

I've found that within 2 weeks of stopping Dovobet my skin was worse and terrible itching so it definitely looks like it helps short term but not in the long run. I've started using it again cos can't bear the itching and my hands and feet get so red, not found anything else that helps yet! Really want to see dermatologist... sick of it now!

Posted Fri 12 May 2017 20.46 by stowens

I have been down every avenue believe me, I did the methotrexate and it made me very sick and all it did was suppress it, I know it's hard but the only way your body will heal itself is by stopping the dovobet because at the moment your in a vicous cycle and it is so hard to break it but long term your skin will only get worse. Dermotolgists only have treatments at the moment which are the drugs and steroid which suppress it they won't fix it. Natural is the best way I have found I have had it for 10 years now and also have had to deal with bad acne too but you just have to stay strong and be positive

Posted Sun 21 May 2017 20.38 by Bamboosgirl

I have been using Vaseline with Aloe Vera petroleum jelly on my face over night and the Vaseline Intensive care with Aloe on my body. It really has kept the patches from taking over on my face and has eased the itching on my body. The redness is fading on my arms. I am not sure though if this has anything to do with the hydrocortisone cream I found from a previous attack that I tried in desperation once. However, my arms do seem to be reducing. It could just be a time thing too. It is so hard to determine what is actually working. My legs however, still have big dark red patches, some joining with others and look horrific. My back is more scaling because I cant reach some of it to put the cream on, however does look less red too. Let's hope things are looking up and it is slowely disappearing. I just wanted to tell anyone interested that using the Vaseline petroleum jelly (lip therapy small round tin) with Aloe Vera had definitely helped. When I did not use it, my patches on my nose and eyebrows etc did start to re-appear. Using it again took it down again.

To take part, sign in or register with us