after 4 weeks using Enstilar...

Posted Tue 5 Jun 2018 17.19 by mr.m

hi ive just joined this forum .ive suffered from P for 6 or 7 years now and its got worse over the last few months ive got it on my head and face and all my body except my toes. ive just been to docs and he said creams will not work its that bad . I have an appointment with a dermatologist in a weeks time and to ask for tablets in the mean time the doc has gave me ENSTILER . I hope it will make an improvement

Posted Wed 6 Jun 2018 09.14 by Ellisjay

I have had psoriasis for 14 years, and have had dovobet for about 10 of those years. I recently visited the doctors for another matter, the doctor was trying to link my symptoms to my 'flare up' (which wasn't a flare up to me, just how I live day to day). Anyway, I mentioned the Enstilar foam to her, thinking I'd have to fight for it, and her response was great.. I have been using it for 10 days and the results are AMAZING! I have plaque and guttate lesions, they were 50% better after 3 uses, and 90% better after a week. I was recommended to use it every night, which I don't do.. probably every other.. I spray a small amount on each patch, rub it in and let it soak in for 20 minutes or so, then go over it with doublebase to seal it in (which is what my doctor suggested). Its a cold foam that crackles as you rub it, It definitely isn't as greasy as dovobet but is still a bit sticky. I'm not sure how easy I'll find it to get Enstilar on repeat...

Posted Wed 6 Jun 2018 09.22 by Itchy and scratchy

Enstilar foam is great we just need something to reduce the blood vessels under the skin aswell

Posted Tue 19 Jun 2018 14.35 by Matt

Hello, Just been diagnosed with Guttate Psoriasis, I actually got it from having Strep Throat and been using Enstilar for 3 days, no improvement so far, My psoriasis isn't too bad from what I've seen but looks like it may be slowly getting worse. Just wondering if anyone has had minor/moderate Guttate Psoriasis (chest, stomach, arms and legs) and had any luck with this? If so, has it gone? Did it come back? Am I a goner? My doctor is always going to give me the most hopeful advice but I would rather hear realistic advice. Please help me :) Thanks

Posted Thu 21 Jun 2018 10.31 by AndrewCatalin

I've used enstilar for the 4 days last week and results are just amazing, most of them dissapeared on my back, chest, arms, legs and head but i've stopped it for 3 days and they coming back quickly, itching me quite bad, i'll just start it again tonight and carry on with it until they competely dissapear hopefully they ll be gone forever, i felt sooo good when i saw them going away but i thought a little break should be good as my doctor said don t use it too often before the body gets used to it.

Posted Thu 21 Jun 2018 10.59 by AndrewCatalin

The best thing to do with enstilar is you spray it on the area affected and wrap it around in something convenient to you so it sits there for a few hours and it doesn't get wiped by clothes, i did that and it worked a lot better than before putting my clothes streight on.

Posted Thu 21 Jun 2018 11.10 by OhNo_NotAgain?

In reply to Andrews post : NO! Check first with your dermatologist or whoever prescribed it . I read up on Enstilar and other treatments and it specifically stated that you should NOT wrap steroid treatments like this as you can increease the time that it is in contact with the skin and actually increase the likleyhood of damage to the skin. You should apply steroids as prescribed and gently run/massage until they are absorbed.

Posted Mon 25 Jun 2018 19.34 by jedders26

After 3 years of being told I have linear p, I’ve now been told it’s chronic plaque p. I’ve been advised to start using Enstilar again every day for 4 weeks. My p. Is getting worse but it’s only on my leg. Has anybody please got any self remedies for chronic plaque ?? 🙏

Posted Wed 27 Jun 2018 20.49 by Mark

Hi Jedders26, I've had plaque p for nearly 30 years; the Bain of my life.. I have tried many things.. from self help, to dietary changes, to behavioural observation modification, and changes in medications because they aggravated my psoriasis. Constant pressure on one spot of your body will cause psoriasis to develop in that location. This is a known medical phenomenal called the Knobner (sp?) effect. When sitting, I used to rest my leg on the table leg near my feet. Well, I developed psoriasis in that rub spot. I changed my behavior and stopped putting my leg into that position and the psoriasis spot went away. Same with psoriasis on my scalp. I changed my pillow to a thinner pillow so my head would not be raised so much, and thereby reduce the pillow pressure on my scalp. My scalp psoriasis went away. The best natural remedy is natural sunlight right on the new skin from a psoriasis lession. When the new skin turns pink it's on the the way to becoming normal again. The thing I noticed most is.. it's all about mood. Get stressed and 30 days later you get a flare-up. I have also changed my blood pressure medication because it gave me a flare-up. My doctor didn't believe me but drug had psoriasis listed as a side effect even. I had the doctor reluctantly change my meds. But the lesson here is you are your own best advocate. I read a book called Healing Psoriasis the Natural Way. It was informative. It says psoriasis is mainly caused by your body's reaction to diet. The book says evacuate (poop) as often as possible to get out the stuff that causes psoriasis as quickly as possible. But the book mainly says stay away from tomatoes, citric acid, and sugar. It's difficult... The book also says you should clear out your intestines of all the poisons you eat once a year using a cleansing diet. The diet is to only eat RED grapes for 7 days. You can eat as many and as often as you like but it has to be red grapes as the skins cleanse the intestines. I've done this and I'm honestly not sure if it helps but hell, I'll try! Lost about 5lbs too.. The main thing is... When you get a psoriasis breakout try to think about what might have caused it.. - was I stressed 30 days ago? - was it something new I have been eating starting about 30 days ago? - is the spot caused by a pressure point like by resting my leg against an object always on the same spot? Mine started small, a couple of spots on my hand where I had cut it on a raspberry bush.. then it got worse, then it went away, then it came back, repeat on like a 5 year cycle. Just remember, it takes about 30 days for a psoriasis spot to appear. Then you need to change your behavior and see if the spot goes away in 30 more days..

Posted Wed 27 Jun 2018 22.56 by jedders26

Hi Mark, thanks for your prompt and thorough response. It’s interesting that I think no two people suffer the same and prescription creams etc work differently on us all. I’ve used UVB skin therapy now for almost six weeks (which I hired privately) and guess what it has NOT cleared it, intact only made it worse. Arrggghhhh it’s so frustrating. Also natural sunlight has no effect whatsoever. Nothing at all helps. I wish you all the best and thanks for your advice..

Posted Wed 27 Jun 2018 23.10 by Mark

Hi Jedders26, I hope the best for you on your journey. To get through a tough spot, sometimes I apply Enstilar to a waterproof bandaid and keep it on for a couple of days and repeat. This normally clears up those stubborn spots really quickly. If I have an odd shaped spot or don't want to spend money on more Band-Aids, I've even cut a paper towel to size, applied ointment to the paper, then duct taped it on for a couple of days lol. It worked really well.

Posted Thu 28 Jun 2018 09.13 by jedders26

Many thanks 🙏 Mark for your self remedy & I will certainly give this a try. I have stubborn aggressive spots where my work boots rub. Great tip❗️

Posted Thu 28 Jun 2018 11.53 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Mark and Jedders, I know that people often leave coal-tar treatments on overnight and wrp their hed in a towel etc. BUT I have read on various "medical/pharmaceutical" sites that it is recommended NOT to apply steroid treatments underneath a dressing in this way. I would advise to talk to your GP or whoever is treating you about the advisability of doing this in your particular circumstances. I recall reading that doing this increases the concentration of the steroid being absorbed by your body - and can increase the amount entering your bloodstream. This can cause further health problems. I do not remember all the details - but in any case I would advise you to get professional medical advice.

Posted Thu 28 Jun 2018 14.53 by Mark

Hey, check this out.. Many articles do say talk to your doc... Here are some articles below. But hey, if the spot is where your boots rub, try to get a new pair of boots that fit slightly differently. Then clear up the spot and rotate wearing the boots a month at a time. An occlusive dressing is when you cover a spot with like a bandaid. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7534777 An occlusive dressing that is both cosmetically acceptable and long term is needed for psoriasis treatment. ... CONCLUSION: Prolonged occlusion is an effective therapy for psoriasis either as monotherapy or in combination with a high-potency topical corticosteroid. ---------- Treatment of psoriasis | DermNet New Zealand https://www.dermnetnz.org/topics/treatment-of-psoriasis/ Occlusive dressings Relatively small, localised patches of psoriasis may improve with occlusion, for example using waterproof adhesive dressings. ---------- Occlusion Information about the use of occlusion in the treatment of psoriasis. https://www.psorsite.com/docs/occlusion.html

Posted Thu 28 Jun 2018 20.56 by jedders26

Many thanks Mark and OhNo_NotAgain?

Posted Sat 14 Jul 2018 00.21 by PappaCanoos (edited Sat 14 Jul 2018 00.31 by PappaCanoos)

OK, So I've suffered with 'P' for nearly 12 years and have only just found this forum. Recently moved house and extended and had my 4th child, I think that all of this has contributed to my recent flare up. A week ago, I was covered by 60% and my meds where doing nothing at all. Went to Doctors 4 days ago and got prescribed Enstilar, I nearly broke down in the doctors as I'm on holiday in 3 weeks and I couldn't bare not going in the pool with my kids etc. Anyway, after 4 days of applying twice a day, my skin is looking great. I was advised to apply twice a day for 4 weeks to start, then drop down to just twice a week. Great, I might get in that pool !!! Now heres the problem, I was only prescribed a 60 gram aerosol and I can only have this once a month ! I was told that only a Dermatologist can prescribe more, my appointment with the Dermatologist is in Jan 2019. I've finally found a 'Wonder Cream' and I can't get any more if it !!!! On a separate note, I work with a lad (in his 30s) who is also a sufferer and we confide in each other etc,,, He got prescribed 'Humira' 6 months ago and his skin is as near to perfect than I can ever dream of. How bad do I need to get before I can get this £10,000 a year drug ? I have contemplated suicide on more than one occasion in the past year and my wife and kids are the only thing that stop me if I'm honest. Am I not worth £10,000 a year for a drug that could potentially give me my life back ? Sorry to rant on, but I've been carrying this burden for years and have nobody else to talk to..... Thanks

Posted Sat 14 Jul 2018 00.22 by wendyloish

Hi everyone, I have just read all the above for the first time. I Wikipedia-ed Enstilar and found it was a vitamin D lookalike plus a steroid. I wonder why people are not taking Vitamin D. The steroid may be why the reluctance of doctors to repeat prescribe. The UV part of the treatment is about starting the chemical cascade that ends up with vitamin D (the sunlight converts cholesterol into a precursor vitamin D). Long term inflammation may have caused the liver to be under stress, resulting in lesser effect for some people of light therapy. Vitamin D tablets are an intermediate stage precursor vitamin D that is produced by the liver. So the tablets can short circuit any liver problem. But the kidneys still need to be mobilised for the final vitamin D to be made. You can thus see that a kidney problem will result in vitamin D deficiency which cannot be fixed by the tablets. So I suggest taking a vitamin D supplement. The results may vary, but you will not know until you try. Give it time to start to work. And remember that all the UV, B or otherwise, will not be of much use if the vitamin D trail is broken by liver or kidney malfunction. Personally, I am working on diet to hopefully fix my autoimmune problems, which at 71 are now affecting many more things than my skin. All my organs and glands seem to have been affected by a lifetime of inflammation. After 3 months on FODMAP I am already much better - less pain, less inflammation, beginning to lose weight. I think my liver might be starting to function properly again. My advice, lowest carbohydrates, eliminate as much fructose as you can, no gluten, no lactose. Look up FODMAP for yourselves. It is actually for irritable bowel syndrome. You will be surprised to know that your guts have the same epithelial cells as your skin. Why would psoriasis affect only your outside, and not those cells as well? Good luck wendyloish

Posted Sat 14 Jul 2018 11.16 by RascalNJazz2

Hi PappaCanoos First of all let me say just how much I and I am sure many other Psoriasis sufferers can sympathise and empathise with how this condition can seriously effect ones life. I have suffered from Psoriasis since I was about 20 (43 now with 2 children and another on the way) and know full well how depressing, self-conscious and hopeless it makes one feel. At its worst it was covering at least 65% of my body. As with many sufferers I spent years and years trying all manner of ointments and steroids and light therapy twice. As usual they only had a temporary and limited amount of success and as everyone soon finds out it usually returns. Like yourself it left me feeling depressed and helpless. I managed to get a referral to a dermatologist who prescribed me some oral drugs and when that didn't have any effect we tried a different combination which didn't help either. Eventually he prescribed me Humira. Wow!!! It had a dramatic effect, within 4-6 weeks most of my Psoriasis had cleared, by week 7/8 my body was completely clear apart from some very small spots. A bloody miracle!! I have only had Enstilar once delivered to me after it was prescribed by my dermatologist and only used it a couple of times for any small spots of Psoriasis, so I havnt yet myself been told how I would get another prescription. My first piece of advice would be to contact your doctor first of all and see if you can have a repeat prescription for the Enstilar, I'm not convinced that it can only be prescribed through your dermatologist each and every time. I would hope if you explain your concerns to your doctor, he/she should be able to sort something. I have heard a lot of good things about Enstilar and I'm so pleased that its having such a positive effect for you, I really hope you can go away on your holiday and feel comfortable enough to get in that pool with the kids. My second piece of advice would be to make sure you reach out to your doctor/dermatologist as soon as you feel that the Enstilar is no longer having the same positive results - this might happen with continues overuse - or if you feel that it is not helping you enough. You MUST be open and honest and tell them exactly how this condition is effecting your life and well being. They have to take notice., especially if you feel suicidal. Ask them about Humira and if it would be appropriate for you, Humira is not a drug that can be given to anyone, it very much depends on current health and any previous illness that may have effected your liver or kidneys, although this wouldn't all together rule out this drug as there are variants of Humira and other similar biological drugs. Basically, my Dermatologist told me we had to pretty much try every kind of treatment before he could give me Humira due to the the expense, but be persistent and insistent and hopefully you will get it. Good luck my friend and I hope you get to enjoy your holiday.

Posted Thu 19 Jul 2018 06.22 by PappaCanoos

Rascall, Thanks very much for your response, Managed to get another 120g of Enstilar but I've been told that I can't have any more until I've seen the Dermatologist. Thats still in Jan 2019 so when these two cans run out I'm not sure what I am going to do ? My GP needs to take this very serious and see how it is totally affecting my quality of life in every way possible. For a refferal to take 6 months is a bit of a joke, especially when the Dermatologists secretary has apparently triaged me without even seeing me. Maybe if they even just asked for a patient to send in a few pictures first, they would see how serious everyones case is ! Hope all you sufferers out there find that something works :-)

Posted Mon 23 Jul 2018 11.39 by mnf441

I was given Enstillar for about 3-4 months. It was of moderate success, but the withdrawal (as it was a steroid), was horrendouse and I wished I never went on it in the first place (anxiety, depression, blotchy skin, especially on face). I have been with my consultant since circa February this year, she put me on Methrotrexate and Cyclosporine, both of which, whilst given OK results, were slowly strangling my kidneys, so now I wait for biological treatment, which has promising results.

To take part, sign in or register with us