New to having PsA and looking for answers 😊

Posted Sat 1 Jul 2017 23.35 by Nicole (edited Sat 1 Jul 2017 23.36 by Nicole )

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum, joined a few minutes ago. My diagnosis of PsA is also new. I was diagnosed with having an autoimmune condition in 2015. At first my rheumatologist thought it was lupus, then RA and now within the last 3 months PsA. I don't have any signs of psoriasis, so at first found it difficult to agree with my rheumatologist diagnosis but, my mother has suffered with psoriasis all her life. I remember as a little girl helping her to comb the huge flakes from her scalp. My rheumatologist thinks that in a few years I too will begin to have visible signs. But in saying this I have all the signs and symptoms of arthritis - horrendously painful joints, fatigue, and aching muscles, sometimes so painful I can hardly walk up the staircase. I have been on treatment for the past 2 years, with NSAIDs (had various types), cocodamol, hydroxychloroquine and a few others drugs for my chronic back pain caused by degenerative disc disease. I have also had a few small flare ups which I managed OK and one huge one recently (well huge for me) which took me out of work for 9 weeks. What I really want to ask is what makes PsA different from the other forms of arthritis? From what I've read, other than psoriasis the symptoms and treatment seems similar to other forms of arthritis. But I'm sure there is much more to having PsA than what's written on webpages. It would be greatly appreciated if someone who has had PsA could share their story with me. Nicole

Posted Sun 2 Jul 2017 14.24 by thin-skinned
Irascible septuagenarian fed up with the psoriasis constantly at me :wink:

With copious NASID treatment please consult your GP about proton pump inhibitors before you end up with gastric tract ulceration. It happened to me and now I'm on lansoprazole for the rest of my life!

Posted Sun 2 Jul 2017 14.49 by Nicole

Thanks for replying. I have taken Omeprazole for many year with NSAIDs, but my new drug Etoricoxib (sold as Arcoxia) is apparently friendlier to your stomach. Nicole

Posted Sun 2 Jul 2017 15.16 by thin-skinned

I hope you have better experiences with your COX2 inhibitor than I did. It gave me kidney stones which had to be broken up and then flushed through. It caused me violent back ache which of course was the kidney stones forming. Yes, it was stomach friendly BUT the other damage it did was causing me more pain that it was supposed to relieve. I believe there were/are court cases in Australia against Merck for heart attacks that were COX2 related.

Posted Thu 13 Jul 2017 22.57 by Gillikins

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum. I have been diagnosed with PSA May 2017 having suffered symptoms for 7years plus and had 2 knee replacements. I did not have Psoriasis but my mum has it, although I was never asked about this so it has taken over 7years to diagnose. This condition seems a bit scary but my Rheumy is very positive in my future so I am living in hope. Just had steroid to test the response and gauge the reversibility of it. I am so frustrated that I have been left undiagnosed for so long and the key to managing this is early diagnosis !

Posted Fri 21 Jul 2017 18.32 by Fruitbat1 (edited Fri 21 Jul 2017 18.36 by Fruitbat1)

Hi all, I have this for 30 years now (i am nearly 50). It is naff and boring !! People think we are mad or hypochondriacs. We are neither. Don't go down the road of methotrexate because its useless in our arthritic complaint. All it may do is improve your psoriasis but thats it. It's a effing nasty drug to just elevate a skin problem, trust me........i have been there. Today i found that Philips have a new light therapy device on the market that has no nasty uvb/uva rays to worry about, so cancer of the skin wont be an issue YEAHHHHHHH ! I have bought it on the 90 day free trial so will keep you all informed on how my treatment goes. Please don't dash out and buy one just yet........let me be your guinea pig lols x As for pain, then you all need to try Amitriptyline.................Yes it is an antidepressant but it works wonders for pain relief from psa. Ask your doctors and they will tell you this !!!!! Good luck to you all and message me for any further advice or just friendly chat xxxx also.............................amitriptyline is NO issue on tummies, i have had it for years now with a stomach ulcer (caused by all the other shit they gave me ) and its wonderful !!!!!!!

Posted Thu 3 Aug 2017 14.46 by AJW

Hello also new here and awaiting results from blood and xrays though being treated for PsA. On and off for the last 10 years I have had what I called sausage fingers and lollipop toes. Painful swellings that doctors have not taken very seriously and frankly seemed clueless about, and I was never asked about psoriasis either. Has anyone else had experience of these and been told they are PsA?

Posted Thu 3 Aug 2017 15.00 by thin-skinned

While you are waiting for a proper diagnosis, you might find this link offers a good description and lists possible treatments. . . it also refers to it as 'sausage fingers' https://www.psoriatic-arthritis.co.uk/what-is-psa.aspx

To take part, sign in or register with us