Im nearly clear of my Psoriasis!

Posted Sat 4 May 2013 08.51 by essex_luke
Iv had Psoriasis for around a year now it just appeared and hit me hard covering my whole head, i have patches on my face, neck, back, hands

Hi guys I wanted to write a post to hopefully help a few people as many posts on this forum have helped me. I’m 23 and I have had psoriasis now for around a year. I had never had it before and it flared up when I got particularly stressed due to a break up, but when it started it went mad. I started with a few patches on my scalp, this quickly got worse and patches started appearing on my face, neck, back and genitals. I went to the doctors who were not particularly helpful I was prescribed Calcipotriol for my scalp and Dovonex ointment for the rest of my body. By this point my whole scalp was covered in P to the point that I was sleeping on a towel every night as it was cracking, bleeding and oozing so when I used the calcipotriol it stung like hell but once I had got over that it did cool my scalp but I didn’t notice any change in the P. The Dovonex ointment worked very well on places like my face but I was struggling with the rest of my body as clothes and bed sheets rubbed it off. I went back to the doctors and see three different GPs who could do nothing for me eventually I was referred to a dermatologist and then to have PUVA treatment. My p had worsened during this time and I felt like I was stuck in a vicious circle the more stressed I got about the P the worse it got. I then started getting severe ear infections due to P in my ears. The pain was excruciating I had discharge coming out of my ears, could barely hear and couldn’t eat. By this time I was at such a low point I was slipping into depression I didn’t want to leave the house I would cry all the time and wonder why I had to have this condition that I couldn’t fight or get rid of all I could think was I’m going to be like this for the rest of my life. My hair had also started to thin and fall out so before I started the PUVA I shaved all my hair off and was wearing a hat all the time. The PUVA worked well on my body I had 28 sessions of this in total but my scalp was just as bad so I started researching things I could do myself. I had tried various shampoos but I found the best was Capsacal you can get this over the counter in Boots I used this 4 times a day twice in the morning and twice and night along with the night time wash I would rinse my hair with dead sea bath salts dissolved in a large jug I got mine from Holland and barrat they do a large bag that lasts me a couple of months, this stung at first but as my head started to get better I didn’t notice. I also took extra multi-vitamins every morning along with extra 50mg Vit D and 50mg Zinc. I also smothered my scalp in E45 every night and slept on a towel it is messy but it lifts the scab right off. I was still using the dovonex and calcipotriol. I figured that I would attack the P from all angles and not let it rule me it took some time and a lot of persistence but I started seeing results. My doctor has recently but me on Ciclosporin tablets these suppress your immune system and they have really helped clear up the stubborn areas. This tablet comes with a lot of side effects so make sure if you speak to your doctor you know all that’s involved. I still have some patches and I’m still doing all that I mentioned above and I hope to be clear soon. I really hope that this will help someone that has been going through the same thing as me. This forum helped me so much through the down times and made me feel more positive. Things will get better despite what you may think now and with determination you will get on top of your Psoriasis. Someone is always here to support you. Thank you for reading. Luke x

Posted Tue 22 Jan 2019 02.53 by Jeannette50

You are doing the right thing with the vitamins -but have you had your levels checked? Get all your Bs done If your D is low it is likely even at 50mg this dose is not enough. Also look at magnesium as it is required to facilitate function of vit D. Also use high dose vit C. Also have your iron ferritin level checked. Research optimum levels - the NHS often have a huge normal range which is sadly lacking. Guess they don't want to have to treat people to the optimum - too time consuming and expensive (if your prescriptions are free) for them. When you are clear try to look at natural maintenance options including improving your diet and things like organic coconut oil, rosehip oil, vitamin E oil. Buy SLS free shampoos etc. When you find treatments that work mix them up a little as with orthodox treatments P can become 'used' to a particular treatment.

To take part, sign in or register with us