Exercise for newly diagnosed

Posted Sun 13 Aug 2017 17.09 by Juju45

Hi recently been diagnosed and I am also bipolor and the meds are a weight gainer. Just wondering what exercise ppl do that's suitable for the arthris?? I'm not near a gym but wouldn't use it tbh. It effects my feet so walking might not be the best? Any advise gratefully received Thanks Julie

Posted Tue 31 Oct 2017 17.52 by comorbid

Hi I recently had my Ostia-arthritis diagnosis changed to Psoriatic arthritis when a wrist joint swelled up which was actually very helpful. Can I ask are your feet feet affected by Psoriasis, arthritis, or both, regarding exercise my experience has been to explore low impact type which don't put to much load on the feet if you don't swim Tai chi type may be helpful. I understand a little about bipolar from a friend who has it so would suggest if you don't keep a record of when episodes occur it may be helpful to pin down triggers which are best avoided.

Posted Tue 31 Oct 2017 18.14 by Juju45

Hi thank you yes my feet are effected by the arthritis my 4th toe on each foot are swollen and tender. My ankles are swollen and it's painful under the heels. My feet in general are very swollen. My back is worse effected ( the tailbone) and buttocks. Also thumbs are swollen and sore and hands swell up. I take strong painkillers and morphine at night. I don't suffer with scaly skin but my scalp gets very itchy and sore and I have suffered with the itchy scalp for years before I got the arthritis. I'm only 45 and am having to use a walking stick when it's really bad which I find embarrassing. My knees seem to affected too and i have two flights of stairs which I find hard too. I will look into the suggestions for exercise see it helps.

Posted Thu 2 Nov 2017 10.58 by elissawilliams

I understand your condition. Doing exercise is the more important for living a happy life. My suggestion is early morning breathing exercise and walking less distance is the perfect choice for you.

Posted Wed 8 Nov 2017 09.40 by Macka65k

Like comorbid says, if you can get to a pool it should help. My knee's and ankles give me curry if I walk on hard surfaces, so I go to the pool three times a week and walk up and down the 50 metre pool in a weightless environment for 45 minutes. You could do your breathing exercises while doing this. The pool I go to plays music that you can boogie to too. It's good to get out, see the regulars and I always feel a little invigorated when I leave. Good luck with your goals.

Posted Wed 8 Nov 2017 10.20 by Juju45

Thank u for your comments x

To take part, sign in or register with us