Hospital UVB Phototherapy

Posted Thu 17 Aug 2017 17.03 by Naomi-Jayne

Hi, I am new to the forum and haven't tried anything like this before, but it is so nice to read about other peoples experiences of living with psoriasis and share my own. I have recently started phototherapy for the first time, I am required to go to the hospital 3 times a week and have been advised that this will be the case for 10 weeks in total. I had my 5th session today, and as of yet there has been no improvement. I have psoriasis pretty much every where, and since beginning treatment I have noticed my lesions have become red and irritable. For those who have had phototherapy/ light treatment at the hospital can you please share with me how you found the treatment and if it helped or worked for you? and how long into treatment did you begin to see an improvement. Thanks so much Naomi

Posted Fri 8 Sep 2017 10.29 by Gemma100

Hi Naomi I haven't had uvb at hospital but do use it at home. Don't be worried it does take time to start to work. Sometimes it does get worse before it improves and it does take time. Mine did not get redder but it does work differently on different people. It was around three weeks before I saw any improvement. The first thing I noticed was the scaling reduced, then the itching started to stop, then the lesions began to flatten and shrink. It was around 8 weeks before mine cleared and I had it pretty bad. Please give it time at first I didn't think it was going to work. Just one thing to watch out for was when I went to hospital and had Puva they seemed more intent of making the exposure longer and longer which resulted in me getting badly burnt. If you feel sore or overly itchy when you are due for your next treatment make sure you make it clear to the nurse so they turn it down a bit until your skin gets used to it. I found the sweet spot for with uvb me was only two and a half minutes..

Posted Sun 15 Oct 2017 11.58 by Idy
Phototherapy, methotrexate, ciclosporin and stelara afficionado

Hi Naomi. I had my first course of UVB phototherapy between November 2012 and February 2013; 29 sessions altogether. It didn't cause any significant discomfort, and after around 8 weeks of not much happening, it started to disappear. Another 4 weeks later, and having previously been covered from my neck to my ankles almost entirely, I was completely clear (aside from my scalp, obviously). There have been very small patches popping up since then, but they've been controlled easily by moisturisers and short spells of using medicated gels/creams (e.g. Dovobet) and psoriasis has just been a mild inconvenience for me. However, this June it rapidly spread and is now back to covering my neck to ankles almost entirely, and is much more sore, painful and itchy than ever. So much so that I've been working from home for the past month or so. Back on UVB phototherapy again and have just finished my second week. And boy, does it does it hurt! My psoriasis burns like hell a few hours after each session and is so sore that I've needed to take days off work (and I'm currently being allowed to work from home at the moment). Currently I'm moisturising with Cetraben six times a day, which helps with the dryness but not the burning or soreness. My nurses are monitoring this and are being cautious about how quickly they increase the UVB dosage. They said they'd get the dermatologist to check my skin tomorrow if the burning and soreness has continued over the weekend. Which it most definitely has. I hope your first course of UVB phototherapy goes as smoothly as my first course! Keep in touch.

Posted Sun 15 Oct 2017 20.17 by Outlawjubaz

I have had uvb and have been amazed at the results , however a few weeks later it has come back with a vengeance . Maybe it's just my condition , but only get it in the winter months , in the summer we can make good lol

To take part, sign in or register with us