Phototherapy, Ciclosporin or Methotrexate?

Posted Mon 30 Oct 2017 16.01 by HettyA

So 4 years into having Guttate Psoriasis and I've finally had the appointment where the Dermatologist doesn't prescribe me some more useless creams!!!! She didn't really have a choice though as I am literally covered head to toe! But now they've given me the option of 3 treatments ... Phototherapy, Ciclosporin or Methotrexate? All with their own horrible side effects I'm really unsure as to what would be the best option for me.... Phototherapy/Light treatment is probably the one with the least side effects and risk but having read quite a few experiences I don't know if I could bear going to the hospital 3x a week for 10 weeks for it to come back again after a month. Especially as I would have to try and sort out the time off with my work. With Ciclosporin and Methotrexate I am very worried about the possible side effects and stupidly didn't ask how often the regular blood tests are? But both seem to be more effective than the light treatment from what I have read? Any advice or experiences would be amazing before I make my decision :)

Posted Mon 30 Oct 2017 16.28 by thin-skinned
Irascible septuagenarian fed up with the psoriasis constantly at me :wink:

There is a newer treatment over metho or ciclo and that is Otezla (apremilast). http://www.mims.co.uk/otezla-new-treatment-psoriasis-psoriatic-arthritis/dermatology/article/1333618 Also light treatment hardware can be purchased or hired if within your budget. I am saving up for a 8 x 4ft tube array but unfortunately my pot keeps getting raided for bill paying, but I'll get there one day :wink:

Posted Tue 31 Oct 2017 19.38 by Richysorefoot

I just bought a small light pad by phillips. It seems to stop the flakeyness. I paid approx £200.

Posted Sat 4 Nov 2017 06.31 by John
I have suffered with it for nearly forty years.

I have a full size walk in cabin made by Dr. Honle. Germany. Due to my relocation I have had to store it in the U.K.. (Leicester.) I live in the B78 Area Midlands. Its in perfect working condition with ten spare tubes. My idea was to relocate it and use it within a small amount of members inc. myself. I have had the experience of using it and still have the instruction books etc. I am overseas at present, but willing to discuss practical ideas to use this superb unit again But it needs a new location where its practical for all concerned to use. John C.

Posted Sat 4 Nov 2017 16.49 by Idy (edited Sat 4 Nov 2017 16.50 by Idy)
Phototherapy, methotrexate, ciclosporin and stelara afficionado

I tried all of these in 2012, when I was covered from neck to ankles in plaque psoriasis: Methotrexate had a few minor side effects (e.g. nausea) in the first couple of weeks, and after around 6 months of treatment it had no effect on my psoriasis. I seem to remember having blood tests every month or so. I then switched to Ciclosporin. Ciclosporin had no side effects and cleared the psoriasis from my arms, legs and lower back, and to a limited extent reduced the intensity of psoriasis elsewhere within four weeks of being put on the highest dose. I was on ciclosporin for around 6 months. Again, I seem to remember having blood tests every month or so. I then switched to UVB phototherapy. UVB phototherapy cleared my psoriasis completely after 10 weeks (three sessions per week). I was lucky in that I lived within 30 minutes of the hospital, which was in turn within 20 minutes of work, and they opened at 7.30am, so I easily got to work by 9am. I remained largely clear for the next four years, with a very small number of patches returning over time, but these were controlled very easily with Dovobet. Unfortunately in June 2017, my psoriasis rapidly spread and I'm back where I started in 2012, although it's much more sore, itchy and painful than it was then... I tried a couple of weeks of UVB phototherapy again, but this made my psoriasis feel like it was burning and much more sore. My consultant stopped and has referred me for biologics, but the appointment isn't until the end of Jan 2018. Whilst I wait, I'm on the maximum dose of ciclosporin again (albeit privately at the eye-watering cost of £326 per month) which will hopefully have a similar but limited effect as in 2012. I hope that you get quick and painless results with whatever you decide!

Posted Sun 5 Nov 2017 20.04 by Richysorefoot

Can you get the cyclosporin on NHS or doesn"t the doctor recomend it?

Posted Mon 6 Nov 2017 17.01 by Idy
Phototherapy, methotrexate, ciclosporin and stelara afficionado

Richysorefoot: I begged my NHS consultant to give me a systemic (e.g. Ciclosporin) to use during the three month wait until my biologics appointment, to ease the psoriasis. The response was that I need to "pick one or the other", i.e. pick a systemic now which will have limited effect based on my previous experience (and forget about biologics), or pick a biologic in three months' time (and forget about any treatment in the meantime). Of course, I stuck with biologics, knowing that systemics (e.g. Ciclosporin) have only cleared around 50% of my psoriasis previously. It was a bit of a devastating day really, as by that point I'd already been working from home for around six weeks, to the dismay of my HR department, due to the soreness, itchiness and sleep deprivation. It's so bad now that I'll be on sick leave for at least the next month. So it was a case of existing in a largely painful and sleep deprived state, housebound and on sick leave (until the inevitability of unemployment) until the end of January, or getting some private treatment to somewhat reduce the suffering whilst I wait, which in turn may provide the possibility to return to work, not lose my job and restore some aspects of normal life.

To take part, sign in or register with us