Frustrated with dermatologist

Posted Sun 11 Mar 2018 19.26 by Sarahskin

Hi all, I've had psoriasis for 17 years with no remission, and only partial clearance on any form of treatment (topical, UVB, methotrexate, Apremilast). The dermatologist is about to move me on to Ustekinumab. But just this past two weeks I was put on a penicillin-based antibiotic for an infection, and with it I've found that my psoriasis has half-cleared within a week - better and quicker than anything else I've tried. I'd much rather be on penicillin than something associated with raised rates of cancer, weakness to TB, etc., but the dermatologist had no interest in either the effect of the antibiotic or my suggestion. Do any of you know if there are any ways to advocate for a different treatment when you're not being listened to? I know penicillin isn't licensed for psoriasis treatment, but it's safe in long-term treatment for other conditions, and I'd imagine cheaper to the NHS than Ustekinumab... Thanks for any thoughts!

Posted Sun 11 Mar 2018 19.52 by She’s got perfect skin

No medical knowledge to bring to your questions sorry. Just wondering if it’s a coincidence? Or healing the infection shocked your T cells into inaction ? If I wasn’t allergic to penicillin I’d want to try it and see Good luck, hope you have some relief soon. Annmarie.

Posted Sun 11 Mar 2018 19.56 by Sarahskin

I've never had any spontaneous remission, and I'm not on a treatment for anything else, so I'm pretty sure it's not a coincidence. I found a study in the European Journal of Dermatology (2005) claiming that penicillin was very effective for a large proportion of their study group of 200 or so, so I do wonder why it's not mentioned anywhere else. Of course, a lot of people are allergic... And thanks!

To take part, sign in or register with us