denied treatment (scalp psoriasis)

Posted Thu 29 Mar 2018 22.59 by zoetr

hi,i have suffered with scalp psoriasis since i was 5. its started smaller than a 5p at the top of my neck just in my hair line.im now 28 and its slowly grew bigger coming down my neck and up through my hair. i have had steroids, topical creams. dovobet and stronger topical treatments but instead of making it better made it worse. i have to wash my hair everyday as if my hair starts to get greasy it itches, treatments that are left on over night causes me to itch also. 2 doctors referred me for light treatment but the dermo at the hospital has said that the lights wont penetrate through hair so i cant be treated with light therapy. they also said that i cant have the injections as it may make it worse and topical treatments is the only way. my psoriasis isnt servere but isnt helped with topical treatments. my dad has all over severe psoriasis and psoratic arthritis. i feel im being left until im am classed as severe before anythings done.i dont want it to grow all over my scalp. can anyone help? can someone suggest what i do now? or any private clinics that i could go to for help? thanks zoe (wolverhampton)

Posted Fri 30 Mar 2018 00.30 by Mila

Hi Zoe, Firstly fight for what you want they have to listen to you but are trying to keep costs down. Email the British Association of Dermotolgy and ask them for a list of dermatologist private ones near your area and I strongly recommend going private. In my case it took Harley street (London) to write my GP a letter to refer me via the nhs. Also have you tried Sebco/cocois in your scalp over night? Also Betamouse which has a slight steriod in it it’s really good and helps with your day to day activity? Stay positive and fight for your rights good luck. Ps if that does not work good Sortainax it’s a herbal cream but amazing read on it first a lot of people have had positive feedback on the forum also.

Posted Sat 31 Mar 2018 17.06 by Stacy

Hi Zoe, I totally hear you, as I have had scalp psoriasis since I was 13 years old. At 48, I have almost given up. I used light therapy when I was younger and tar shampoos, now I just use clobetasol oil, but only when it is reactive. However, I have notices it is more uncontrolled now, I do know the ocean water is effective.- during the summer, it almost disappears. I am glad you started this discussion, as I feel I am in the same boat as you. Keep asking questions. Stacy Q RN

Posted Sat 31 Mar 2018 20.43 by Allanswife03

I use cocois over night and it is amazing (for me) and I use Capasal shampoo which I also find to be a really good psoriasis shampoo, I was prescribed both of these from going private, before i went private i was given loads of different steroid ointments and shampoos, the hair at the top of my head came out, it got so bad i had to go private to get something sorted properly, good luck hun, hope you get it sorted x

Posted Sun 1 Apr 2018 18.11 by Mary.w

I have a very messy scalp which my gp has been attempting to treat for a year now with about 7 different shampoo/ lotions to no effect.......in fact it has worsened. I have just ordered the soratinex set in desperation to see if that works while i wait...patiently!....to see a dermatologist. A couple of years ago I had another sore patch which was on my bottom and again slow to respond to treatment but the dermatologist i saw then did a biopsy and concluded that I have chronic dermatitis and referred me for patch testing. I have been waiting over a year for this. In the meantime that patch has cleared but the scalp is a sore and itchy nightmare.

Posted Sun 1 Apr 2018 20.57 by Jade lewis1974

Hi I've had psoriasis since I was 5 yrs old I remember the doctors didn't know what it was so I underwent many tests I think from there I tried everything I'm now forty four I was one of the first patient in the uk to use ditherol in hospital and light treatment it was fantastic, I then became pregnant and my skin cleared I felt normal , but after I had my child it came back , I went to my Gp after some research and asked for a cream he denied me so I changed my Gp I was lucky as my. New Gp was a dermatologist and gave me what I asked for , i would go to sleep he beach and lay in the sea the. Lay in the sun and it cleared I changed my diet and cut out dairy and meat I would bath in coconut oil and I had another child at 35 and throught all this years I keeper it under control but now at 44 I have started menopause the first year was just hormones emotions, but now the second year I have had a very bad flare up wasn't bad enought that I felt old at 40 my body shape changed and all that but now I find I'm going back to basics I've st down at looked at everything I suffered through life and now wonder if hormone play a big part to this so back to the creams ,baths ,subbed and diet , but what I'm saying is if one doctor tells you no stand up tell them what you want don't take no as an answer X much love and good luck

To take part, sign in or register with us