the psychological side of having psoriasis.

Posted Mon 23 Apr 2018 16.36 by louiseskai99

Hey guys, im louise im 19 years old and i currently am suffering from guttate psoriasis for the second time and its not just taking a toll on my health, its taking a toll on my mental health. I wondered if anyone else has the same? when talking to my friends and family about having this horrible condition they say "aw its not noticeable" "why are you worrying??" "i wouldnt care if it was me" but its not them who has this condition. Im the one every day waking up in the mirror and hating my skin because of it; wishing it would just vanish and never return. It has knocked my self confidence down to a major low, every piece of clothing i wear im conscious of it, or if people look at your arms and think "why has she got pink spots all over her?" the worst part of my body which as been affected is my back, its scabby and scales range in size. I hate looking at it. I just want to know how others deal with this side of the condition??

Posted Mon 23 Apr 2018 17.08 by shy_girl1988 (edited Tue 24 Apr 2018 08.19 by shy_girl1988)

Hey, You are certainly not alone. I have felt so low before because of Psoriasis. Yes people can tell you until they are blue in the face that they don't mind it but you have to feel confident about yourself. It is such a difficult thing to deal with and to be honest I have just recently started to go out & about in public showing my psoriasis off within the past year. To be honest I now see that there is not really a big deal. People don't stare as much as I thought and the ones that do are just ignorant. I am pretty sure they have something somewhere on their bodies they do not wish to share with the world but don't have the courage to show off. You are your own person, don't let your skin define who you are. Unfortunately it is a part of us and we have to deal with that on a daily basis. Life is too short to worry about what other narrow minded people think. You are beautiful inside and out. It wont change over night, perhaps just start with showing a bit off to close family & friends and see how that feels then maybe build it up. I actually have my skin slightly under control at the moment. I can imagine you may have tried everything available (like I have);but I use EXOREX lotion and wrap up in cling film and keep on through the night. WOW what a difference I find after a week or so. Or even do it with moisturiser. The cling film works wonders. Chin up :) x It is such a difficult thing to deal with mentally so don't beat yourself up. It has taken me many years to accept its part of me and I just have to try control it. Btw I was first diagnosed with psoriasis when I was 12 and I am now 30, I have never had a time in my life since then that it has well disappeared . But I can now control it. Back in the day it was Long sleeve tops in the summer time and bleeding legs when shaving :( But with perseverance I have it under control. At the end of the day it Is just skin (that's how I try to think of it) Everyone has it, ours just grows a bit faster. Be brave, but in baby steps if that helps. You are who you are and that makes you (you).!!

Posted Mon 23 Apr 2018 18.18 by lynno

I am 47 years old and I feel the exact same way you do. This is my second outbreak in my life, My first outbreak was very mild compared to this one. This time I am covered full body with guttate like you. I am a woman that takes care of how she looks. I eat right, I exercise, I take daily selfies lol. I like how I look. This has done a complete number on me. I have mainly been hiding this past month and covering up. Just recently it started to get warm here and I decided no more hiding. I actually posted pictures on social media and told people what was up. Was sick of being asked if I had a contagious disease everywhere I went. Now I am wearing little black dresses, no tights, and open toe shoes. I hate looking in a mirror now, and my self esteem is in the toilet. I am trying to be brave, I am trying to tell myself there are worse problems in the world. I am trying to think positively that it didn't touch my face. I think was is more interesting to me is that I have stopped hearing from people I thought were my friends. It makes me feel lonely some days, but I keep trying to think positive that this will clear up in a few months god willing. I am still me underneath the spots. My new nickname--cheetah! Hang in there!

Posted Mon 23 Apr 2018 18.52 by andrea
have had p for too many years

Hi I have been that teenager too. I know just how you feel but you are still the same lovely person as beauty is only skin deep and it is your personality that people will notice much more. Mine developed at 7 years old. My friends didn't seem to be bothered that I had it as I just kept being me! A girl bullied me my mum said but I don't remember it and was made to apoplogise to me and we became friends. Another also bullied and teased me and now she has it. I wouldn't wish it on anyone so I hope she remembers how horrid she was to me .Ask your doc to refer you to a dermatologist and explain how unhappy you are. There are many treatments you can be given to see which is suitable for you. UVB phototherapy is a short term solution to get you through the summer. It has good results for most of us. Be strong. We are all with you.

Posted Wed 25 Apr 2018 09.11 by shy_girl1988

I just wanted to say well done Lynno. That's just amazing that you are getting out there and wearing what you want and being you. I am getting there, arms are on show all the time now, no matter how bad they are. Legs are slightly different but may have something to do with the milk bottles I have for legs though. You are setting an awesome example. Go you!!!

Posted Wed 25 Apr 2018 14.37 by LWood1970

Hello all. I'm new to this group although I have been suffering with plaque psoriasis for the past 3 years. It has been really bad for the last 18 months or so. I have so many patches on my legs that I have worn leggings every day for that last 18 months, even through summer last year. My GP says I should not care what people think, but I do care! I've started getting it on my face over the last few months and I am just so embarrassed. No-one at work has mentioned it, but there it is, bright red patches on the bridge of my nose and on my chin. I try to cover it with foundation, but that only masks the redness, you can still see the dryness. I've only been using 1% hydrocortisone cream on my face but it doesn't seem to help. I am just worried because it seems to be getting worse and the patches never 'calm down' they are either red once I've had my weekly bath in dead sea salt and sloughed all the skin off, or horrible silvery dry skin. I try to put cream on every day, but sometimes I just don't get the chance in the morning, but I suppose that's my own fault. Lynno I love your positivity, my husband calls my patches my 'leopard spots' - I've got loads on the tops of the legs and my bottom, so whilst I am really self-conscious of it, I love it that he thinks of them this way!

Posted Wed 25 Apr 2018 15.15 by louiseskai99

All you people are amazing!! i want to thankyou all for being so positive and amazing because this condition is horrible, but as long as we have eachother to fall back on for support thats all that matters!! positive vibes guys, and sooo much love from my end for making me feel so much better!! we are all leopards together! Love, Lou x

Posted Wed 25 Apr 2018 15.47 by lynno

Yes, support! Let's stick together everybody and check in. I got some real sun yesterday at the beach at it seems to be helping. I also have the UVB treatments three times a week. My legs are still very bad, but I see a small improvement! Baby steps here.... And today I am rocking the little blue dress with high heel sandals. Somebody asked if I had poison ivy at the bank this morning, Maybe we should start posting pictures to boost each other up. Not sure if we can on here but I like that idea. Cheetahs unite!

Posted Wed 25 Apr 2018 15.48 by Toodlesoodles

31 year old male here. Been dealing with psoriasis since 2009. Until last year it was very minor, either a very small number of spots or long periods of remission. February 2017 is when it flared up badly and it's been a battle since. Went from minor to moderate bordering on severe very quickly. Worst places affected are my legs, particularly below the knees but I do have spots on my arms (that are getting worse) and a bit on my back, scalp and some patches that crop up on my face too. And yes, it's doing a number on me mentally too. I have a beautiful girlfriend that I love more than words can say but it's affecting my relationship with her. She knows about my struggle with psoriasis and she is beyond supportive and has done her best to make me feel like it doesn't matter but that's the real messed up thing about what this disease can do to you - despite knowing she's genuine and doesn't care I just can't/won't accept it. I've told her that it's not her fault, it could be anyone saying anything to me and it wouldn't change how I felt about it. I can't control my mood swings and trying to be positive and happy is a battle I don't always find myself winning. I think she's better off with someone else and feel I'm holding her back if she stays with me. The fact she's absolutely perfect physically in my eyes doesn't help either. Yet she actually tells me that's how she feels about me! I just don't get it and can't see myself anything other than disgusting. I hate talking about how I feel because I feel like I'm being selfish and 'me, me' yet when it affects your mood so much how can you not? I'm sick of the subject and so I think how could someone else not be too? Having said that I am not even very open about it.. aside from with my girlfriend. My mum knows a little bit with how I've struggled with it but she's the only other person I've spoken to about it. The rest of my family know through her but it's never mentioned or talked about. None of my friends know at all. And then there is the weather. The Summer arrives and everyone is excited for it, to get out in it, and rightly so, yet I dread it. It's just an even bigger reminder of the disease because symptoms all just get worse. The psoriasis itches more, looks worse when you sweat and covering up in the hot weather just makes you feel worse. Some people are lucky in that the sun helps clear their psoriasis to different degrees.. I don't even get a break here. I'm unfortunately amongst the smaller percentage where sunlight has zero effect on my psoriasis. Been using steroid creams now for far too long and haven't followed the guidelines on taking breaks from them. I just can't. The itch becomes unbearable. Currently in the process of trying systematic medications.. the best option of the lot hasn't worked for me so I'm faced with trying some of the others that I really don't fancy given everything I've read. And then there is the thought that even if you find one that works that you are probably going to be on it for the rest of your life if it's safe do so. You don't know what it's doing to your body and what other problems it could cause down the line. It's not fair.

Posted Wed 25 Apr 2018 15.49 by louiseskai99 (edited Wed 25 Apr 2018 15.49 by louiseskai99)

I’m currently waiting for my uvb treatment but it’s 3 months away:( and yeah we should!! bet you look beautiful!! and maybe if we started a Facebook group/ group chat that could help???x

Posted Wed 25 Apr 2018 15.54 by louiseskai99 (edited Wed 25 Apr 2018 15.56 by louiseskai99)

you have to remember your girlfriend is with you for who you are on the inside, appearance shouldn’t matter, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it can bring you down, but we all have eachother to support and help through this, if it’s any help I’m currently talking to a new boy and I’m scared he’s going to think how ugly I am because of my skin , but he tells me I’m gorgeous and I shouldn’t worry, but it’s hard because you think you’re the only one who understands and no one else can help you, but your girlfriend and all of us are here, even though the condition is horrible, it’s a part of us, we have to try and see the lighter side, we call ourselves cheetahs!! so maybe trying to look for positives may help :)

Posted Wed 25 Apr 2018 16.05 by shy_girl1988

What a great idea lynno. It would be great if we did share pics (we would know we are not alone) and embrace our skin. Show the world that we are all beautiful . Its just we have more skin than them na na na na na :) I am pretty sure there is not 1 person on this planet that doesn't have some sort of body hang up. So what if we have skin issues!!!! I don't go around looking at people going oh you got a big nose, oh you got long arms, oh your too skinny or your too fat. That's just disgusting and idiotic. We are all people and we all have issues but we need to embrace them. Could start a group and call it PA... I am bleep and I have had psoriasis for so many years. Bring on the support. Toodlesoodles I hear ya, I am the very same way with my partner. He tells me constantly that it doesn't bother him so it shouldn't bother me. Well no that's not how it works. We have to feel good about ourselves before we can accept others doing so. Yes my partner takes it to heart also but it can not be helped. Do not feel bad. Once you have your confidence your gf will feel it & benefit also. Your gf is with you because she loves YOU and your psoriasis is part of what makes YOU. Don't let her slip away because of this. Keep on trying, don't give up, Psoriasis treatments are ALL about trial & error. What works for one will most certainly not work for the neighbour next door, DONT GIVE UP!!!! LOUISESKAIGG that sounds like a great idea. Could share pics & stories with the world. Maybe educate people as lets face it people can be rather ignorant. Come on guys :)

Posted Wed 25 Apr 2018 16.07 by louiseskai99

we got this guys, what does everyone think of a group chat on Facebook?

Posted Wed 25 Apr 2018 16.16 by shy_girl1988 (edited Wed 25 Apr 2018 16.21 by shy_girl1988)

LWOOD1970 We have all been there, too tired to put creams on, cant be bothered, too busy, Just want to go to sleep. Yes I have used these many times. It is normal so don't beat yourself up. Its hard to keep it up constant but you will reap the rewards if you do. Set that alarm 3 mins earlier in the morning (gives time for face cream) I also used to wear long sleeves in summer and would sit in the office struggling, sweating like mad, people looking at me like I am crazy but I just couldn't show those patches to the world. It finally got too hot one day and I had to roll they sleeves up and it was the best thing I ever done. Not one person batted an eye lid when I did. No staring in work or comments. Well until I started speaking about it. I find if you are open and honest about it then people really don't notice/care about it at all. Well the people that matter anyway. People really don't mind it at all but are maybe just scared to approach the subject as to not hurt our feelings etc. I bet if we asked them to show us parts of them, they would certainly start to squirm. (without sounding creepy) yes I still get kids pointing & asking what's that on your arms and I just tell them is a skin condition I have . I really think if you talk about it and show people then they just accept it and embrace It with you. It is hard to not take any comments/staring etc to heart but if its people in the street just remember you wont ever see them again. They don't matter in your life. In order to be truly happy we really do have to feel at least slightly happy with our exterior skin. I know it makes such a big difference to me when I just let myself be me and let people take me or leave me with the scaly patches. Their loss if they don't. I am never going to be 100% confident , maybe not even 70% but I was at about 20% until I changed my attitude towards my skin. I am not sure if I am making sense etc but I hope it helps.

Posted Wed 25 Apr 2018 16.18 by Toodlesoodles

Someone being with you for who you are and not what you look like is a good way to think about things of course but I am honest enough to take a look at how my psoriasis has affected me and say it's turned me in to quite a bitter and moody person. I'm not myself. Basically I am not at all the person I was before mine got bad nor do my efforts to get back that way seem to be working.

Posted Wed 25 Apr 2018 16.33 by shy_girl1988

Yes toodles, you have to be honest with yourself. of course you do. You have psoriasis , Your skin cells grow faster than others so yes we end up looking like patch work quilts sometimes. But try looking it at this : Fact: You have an amazing gf who you know/feel is the most beautiful girl in the world and she loves YOU. You would have her with or without this. You have someone who is there to help you through it. Who will support you 24/7. Try and focus on the positives in your life at the moment ???? Friends, family??? You mention not telling friends. I suggest you open to at least 1 friend who you trust 100% and see how it goes. You are holding it all in, hiding yourself from the people you love. No wonder you cant be yourself. This is enough to make a saint snappy & moody. It will take a toll on you emotionally. Please tell people. I found as soon as I did it was like addressing the elephant in the room and that no one actually cared and for once in my life I was quite happy with that. :) People accept you for who you are, not what's on your body. And if they do change their minds about you then they are not worth bothering about. I know so many people with psoriasis and its great to talk & discuss treatments to use & how we feel about it. I still wake up sometimes and look in the mirror & think to myself omg I am disgusting but you cant let those thoughts consume you. I try concentrate on what's good about myself (without feeling cocky or arrogant) I am friendly, bubbly, got amazing family, great partner etc. We know its difficult. If you are that down maybe try speaking to someone professional, if it is affecting your life.

Posted Wed 25 Apr 2018 16.34 by shy_girl1988

I am up for that Louisekaigg :) The cheetah club :)

Posted Wed 25 Apr 2018 16.39 by louiseskai99

shall we start a group on Facebook???x

Posted Wed 25 Apr 2018 16.53 by shy_girl1988

Do you want to start one and then we can join and spread the word on the website for everyone else ??? x

Posted Wed 25 Apr 2018 16.57 by louiseskai99

To take part, sign in or register with us