Psoriatic arthritis - will new meds work??

Posted Sat 5 May 2018 07.29 by Steph1989

Hi guys. New to this forum and I'm looking to talk to people that are in the same boat and can relate :) To cut a long story short... I have been diagnosed with PA after the birth of my 2nd child so I've been living with it for about a year now. I've been on naproxen and sulphasalazine for a little while and have now moved on to methotrexate (4 weeks can't say I feel/see a difference) and have been prescribed dovobet to help with psorasis. What I'm looking for really is have people had success with these. The PA is really getting me down, I'm crying all the time and trying to manage 2 kids is taking it's toll..... Thanks for reading Steph

Posted Sat 5 May 2018 20.07 by Josette

I feel very sympathetic concernng your PsA. I really think that the medical profession underestimates the devastating effect that psoriasis has on lives. I have had psoriatic arthritis for at least 30 years. I was treated with disdain by my GP when I suggested I had it because I didn't have serious lesions on my skin. Don't let them dismiss you. I did and now I have a a mobility problem and have been diagnosed but because I didn't get the correct medication years ago it has destroyed my joints to a point where I can hardly walk.. I reckon all sufferers of psoriasis should get together and fight the way the process that NICE suggests means long term suffering, psychological distress and suicidal thoughts amongst many sufferers bevause NICE tries the cheapest medication when recent biologics are much more effective and prevent more permanent damage. Ok, we are only approximately 2 percent of the population but surely that means the overall treatment would be cheaper as a percentage of the total expenditure in the NHS but would make a significant improvement to our lives. Do we not matter. I'm sitting here, on holiday, in pain depressed and tearful. Have NICE not heard that inflammation in the body creates inflammation in the brain and that can cause destructive thoughts. About time someone took this seriously. Tina.

Posted Sat 5 May 2018 21.08 by Steph1989

I agree whole heartedly with you! I don't feel I (we) have much support from GP's or rheumatologist. Having to wait months at a time to see them. Like you say psychological distress plays a major part in PA, aside from pains and lesions. I feel for you having to have dealt with this disease for 30 years, I have only suffered a year and can't imagine living the rest of my life this way. Thank you for your comment Steph

Posted Sat 5 May 2018 22.47 by Josette

Then let's change things. Why should NICE rule our lives? After all in the long run it may save the NHS money. Think of all the services that we need if they fail us, yet again. More costs to the NHS and lives of misery and exclusion from normal life. There's lots of us out there. Let's here from you. Tina. I'm in rural France at the moment so internet is patchy but I'm with you. Let's organise and not be ashamed about our condition. It's an auto immune problem, often genetic. For all our sakes let's communicate.

To take part, sign in or register with us