Epaderm - experiences?

Posted Sat 19 May 2018 08.26 by SS1980

Hello Doctor prescribed me Epaderm ointment this week. Initial results are very good. It is incredibly waxy and I’m not quite sure how much I should be using - I’m coating it on at the moment. Has anyone got any experience of using it? I’m especially interested in ‘airing’ times after using, before putting clothes on!

Posted Sat 19 May 2018 08.27 by SS1980

By the way, I am aware you can just buy this over the counter. A 0.5kg pot is about £10.

Posted Sat 19 May 2018 09.35 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Sat 19 May 2018 17.53 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

It is basically an emollient / moisturiser. You can use as much or as little as you want and as often as you want. The only downside to using "too much" is that you use it upfaster, and more might be left on the skin to be transferred to your clothes. As long as you do not display any reaction to any of the ingredients, then there is no clinical problem with using too much (as there could be with a steroid). There is no specific requirement to delay putting your clothes on after using it . If you are concerned about getting the product onto your clothes, just wait until your skin feels as it the product is absorbed, and if that feels to be taking too long- consider using less in the future. It can be used as a shower-gel or even in the bath. They make a cream and an ointment - perhaps try the alternative form to what you have (i am guessing that you have the ointment). If you feel it is a problem for your clothes then I would advise to consider using something like Doublebase Gel, or Doublebase Dayleve Gel during the day, and Epaderm in the evening when you are not going out, or before going to bed. If getting it on your bedsheets is a problem, consider using pyjamas and washing them often, even after one wearing. You could also get advice from the manufacturers via www.epaderm.co.uk. Looking at their site they are easy to contact. Update: was in Boots today looking for something else and I happened to notice tht they have all the different forms of Epaderm on their shelves, if you want to browse what there is (but it is shown on their website).

Posted Thu 31 May 2018 17.13 by Jean B

I use Epaderm cream on my face, wait for it to soak in (if I have time) for about 20 to 30 minutes, then put on Epaderm ointment on top of that if I am going to do anything that exposes me to dust.

Posted Thu 31 May 2018 18.06 by SS1980

Is the cream much different to the ointment? Also, when you say about being exposed to dust, what do you mean? Is that a big trigger for you? I have p on my face too

Posted Thu 31 May 2018 18.31 by Jean B

Yes, the Epaderm cream is lighter and is absorbed by the skin, whereas the ointment is greasy like Vaseline. My face goes red when dust blows in my face, either from vacuuming or dry dusting at home (so I wet dust when I can) or gardening. I wish I could find a suncream that my face tolerates though - weirdly my psoriasis seems to get worse in the sun.

Posted Fri 1 Jun 2018 08.03 by SS1980

If the cream is easier to use, is it anywhere near as effective? I’m using the ointment in the evening, and basically flapping around for an hour or more trying to air it before I go to bed! I’ve tried it in the morning but it’s very uncomfortable with clothes on (especially the back).

Posted Wed 6 Jun 2018 12.20 by Jean B

I'd say the cream would be better on the body during the day, but might get absorbed by the skin and clothes a bit. The ointment stays on longer, but after a tube journey and city pollution, I find I even need to re-apply that on the face. If face masks ever become a fashion, I'll embrace them to avoid that cold dusty air of the underground station.

Posted Fri 13 Aug 2021 12.56 by Bazza1959

I have been using Epaderm for a while, but found it does not clam my psoriasis down, I have now discovered EmuaidMAX, and I can not recommend it enough, natural ingediends so good for the skin, and works well, a little expensive, but well worth it.

To take part, sign in or register with us