Different 'textures' of psoriasis

Posted Mon 6 Aug 2018 15.07 by Peter S
I have psoriasis on about 1/3 of my body...have had it for over 10 years and its getting worse.

I know there are medically different types of psoriasis, but has anyone else found that even just within the regular kind there are all sorts of variations ? For example, on the back of my right thigh there is a patch that has large scales that grow fast and that come off easily. But on my left thigh the psoriasis feels like sandpaper and develops more slowly and is very small scales. This whole area cracks very easily and bleeds easily. On my lower back there is an area that is almost like little crystals and feels very rough and hard and is a raised area....and whereas other flakes that come off in other areas are white, those in this area come off all sort of crystally and yellow. Quite a variation just on one body.

Posted Mon 13 Aug 2018 05.29 by wendyloish

Hi Peter, I think you might find that you are favouring one side of your body when sleeping. And yes as there are half a dozen forms of psoriasis it is not unlikely that you could have more than one. Personally including my nails, I have three. And on top of that I have spondilitis psoriatic arthritis. But I think now everything is getting under control. I cannot let it get me down. And it seems that you, too, are stepping away from too much emotional response and towards a more detached view. As the stress of having this condition seems to contribute to its severity, things can only get better. wendyloish

Posted Mon 13 Aug 2018 08.30 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Mon 13 Aug 2018 10.29 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

Peter, I definitely see what you do, ie a quite large variation in appearance of the plaques on different parts of my body. I have only 2 dignosed types as far as I know (guttate and plaque) and around 5 or 6 distinct different presentations. Additonally some itch/prickle constantly and some do not cause any noticable sensation at all. If you consider that psoriasis is sometimes described as a manifestation of the body replacing the outer skin too quickly, then consider how many different textures of skin you might have on your body - especially as you age, it is not completely unsurprising. eg skin on feet, elbows, trunk, scalp, genitals, face - even when healthy they can each have a differring feel or appearance.

To take part, sign in or register with us