New sufferer

Posted Sun 16 Sep 2018 14.13 by EllieJoe

I have been diagnosed by doctor but still waiting to see dermatologist. Like most of you on this site I have been tried on all the creams and potions with little success. However I was reading some have tried bio-oil and some have used argan oil. I have used these oils in the past before I had psoriasis for skin and hair. The latest I am trying is from health shop and is rosehip seed oil, and it takes the itch out for a while and am wondering if anyone else has tried this. My face is about two thirds covered in red blotches now and is upsetting as I always had nice skin, it is starting to creep into my hairline but not into my scalp yet. I also have it on my arms and on upper chest and round the back of my neck. Also has anyone tried T-tree oil? I am trying Aveeno creams as I read on the site many using it as it isn't as greasy as prescription creams. I am just starting out on my Psoriasis journey so will be on this site looking for suggestions and help from now on since I have found the site.

Posted Fri 21 Sep 2018 23.26 by wendyloish

Hi EllieJoe, As you have already found there are no quick fixes for psoriasis. The things you have been trying are all topical and some may treat local skin outbreaks for you and not for others. If you read the posts on the forum you will find that different people have found different things helpful. However, psoriasis is not just a skin disease, it is a symptom of autoimmune dysfunction. Your immune system is basically attacking you, as opposed to bacteria and viruses which it is designed to do. So the medical profession uses immuno-suppressors to dampen down the immune system. Quite a lot of the posts on the forum deal with the various drugs used to do this. They all seem to have some downside side effects. You will also find posts on the forum regarding various dietary methods to control psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. As far as diet is concerned, different things, once again work for different people. I am one of the diet advocators. Eating blueberries is popular. Eliminating gluten also. I think trial and error is the go for diet as it has been for your topical skin treatments. It is generally agreed by the experts that psoriasis is a genetic disease, with environmental triggers. There is ongoing research as to the genetic and the trigger parts of the equation. Bottom line. No cure. Yet. Forget the health food shop. Something antibacterial and soothing on your face will help. Mine is bad at the moment too. I call it my baboon bottom look. A little humour can go a long way in learning to live with this. And it will come and go, so try to be more relaxed about everything, as stress is often a trigger. Regarding T-tree oil (actually it is ti tree. I am a bit pedantic, try not to be) my son tried this on his face but found it irritating and too drying. T-tree oil is basically a strong antiseptic. it is used sometimes in moisturising creams and such, as an antibacterial. There is one person advocating putting a little in your bath water. But I would be sceptical about the results. You might try that. But definitely do not apply it directly to your face, Also it comes in two strengths, one is pharmacy grade 100%. The other is more dilute and sold in supermarkets. Take the second option. I hope this had been helpful to you. wendyloish

Posted Wed 3 Oct 2018 22.26 by EllieJoe

Thanks for your comments wendyloish. I have now been to dermatologist and although my GP thought it looked like psoriasis I have now been told it is Lupus, the type cause by allergic reaction to specific medication, stress and exposure to sunlight. My daughter-in-law has the more serious form so I knew all about it. I have had blood tests and biopsy. The skin rash is treated much the same as psoriasis.

To take part, sign in or register with us