Genital Psoriasis

Posted Thu 4 Oct 2018 19.06 by Cruzer75

I’m 43 and was diagnosed with psoriasis aged 7. In late teens early 20’s was constantly at the GP with what I was told was thrush. After many years I was diagnosed with genital psoriasis, started treatment and started to manage it. I’ve had a recent really bad flare up and went to GP...I saw a different doctor who tried to tell me it was thrush. Here we go again I thought...I had to insist that it wasn’t and the GP eventually eve admitted that it’s so rare that he’d never seen it before!!! Does anybody have any home remedies to relieve the intense itching and soreness? I use cold compresses at night, only bathe with aqueous cream, loose clothing etc. Just wondered if anybody had any other ideas until the Dovibet kicks in? Thank you

Posted Fri 5 Oct 2018 12.06 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I would try things like Doublebase Gel, and Doublebase Dayleve Gel. They are basically super-emollients and can be applied in sensitive ares and no limit to the number of applications. You can buy over the counter in 500ml pump-action dispensers or your GP might prescribe (I have done both). The "Dayleve" version leaves a slight barrier on the skin.

Posted Tue 23 Oct 2018 17.11 by som123456

I have the same, my GP has been telling me it is thrush for months before I went to see a private consultant. So my treatment does not completely get rid of my psoriasis but seems working on the itchiness a bit. I use Exorex 5% lotion, it says do not put on genital but my doctor said it is ok just diluted a bit. I also use Silkis ointment. when I have a flare up, I use hydrocortisone. Hope this helps.

Posted Mon 29 Oct 2018 19.13 by aceofspades

I feel like I'm going to end up weighing in on just about every thread here. At one time or another, I feel like I've experienced just about everything with psoriasis. First, I hope that your psoriasis involving the genitals eventually subsides. In my experience, it will come and go just about anywhere on the body, even the nails. If you have large areas of your body impacted, consider seeing your dermatologist to get on one of these biologics or even Otezla, a pill-based option. You will see an overall improvement. I've had psoriasis affect the genitals and it is no fun, because that is sensitive skin (i.e. the head of the penis). Like psoriasis on other parts of the body replicates rapidly, a thin scab forms and then the underlying skin is raw and painful. Ointments can be a real help. I'm sorry that I don't know which will work best since it has been so long since I have used topical ointments. I wish you the best of luck in your pursuit of a treatment.

Posted Tue 30 Oct 2018 21.05 by Chris

Having psoriasis for 42 years, I have had best of luck with 2.5 % hydrocortisone cream prescribed by my dermatologist. Lotions seem to wear off faster. At times I have added Desitin cream just to protect the skin when it flares.

To take part, sign in or register with us