3% Hydrogen Peroxide

Posted Thu 1 Nov 2018 00.52 by NorthWind

Hi folks, I joined this forum to help you beat your psoriasis. I live in Michigan, USA. In our long, cold and dry winter weather my psoriasis begins no matter how much lotion I slather on after showering. In summer when its sunny and humid, the psoriasis disappears. I call it seasonal psoriasis. Good ol’ cheap 3% H2O2 bought at any drugstore or grocery store will stop your psoriasis and itching too. Immediately when you get that itch and feel those spots coming up, get a cotton ball, soak it in 3% hydrogen peroxide and rub into your itchy spots until you see the spot turn white. The area may scab over, but thats ok as it will heal quickly. One treatment may be all it takes, but if you continue to feel the itch., apply it again as soon as you feel it. It will turn white again. Repeat whenever you get that itch on every spot you have. You will be amazed by how effective it is. Its cheap, and it works better than anything I have tried which is everything you have tried. You’re welcome!

Posted Sat 3 Nov 2018 21.55 by TCNZ

Hi, does it heal the lesion or just stop the itching? Thanks.

Posted Sat 3 Nov 2018 23.42 by NorthWind

Hi. Yes the lesion will heal. Again, it may form a shallow scab. Make sure the area is fully saturated. The itch will disappear in less than a minute. If the itch returns, apply more H2O2 as the psoriasis is still present. It may take a week or so for the area to heal. If the psoriasis returns to the same spot as it sometimes will, the itch will be the first thing you will notice, or appears elsewhere, just repeat the treatment. The area will bubble and temporarily turn white, this is normal and lets you know you have hit the spot. Surrounding skin will be unaffected. H2O2 has brought sanity back to my life!

Posted Sun 4 Nov 2018 12.12 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Hydrogen Peroxide is an acid. It can have an antiseptic effect on wounds (in low concentration), and can irritate healthy skin. It is sometimes used as a skin lightening treatment.

1 Posted Mon 5 Nov 2018 01.31 by NorthWind

3% H2O2 is a weak acid, Ph is 5.9, It will not harm your healthy skin, If you are worried about it, simply wipe off any excess from your surrounding skin after applying to your psoriasis. 3% will not bleach your skin. To achieve skin lightening a concentration minimum of 20% would be required.

1 Posted Mon 5 Nov 2018 04.15 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Northwind: NOW you are spreading misleading information. 3% hydrogen peroxide can still damage healthy skin, and all official usage gudelines recommend NOT to expose healthy skin to it.

Posted Wed 7 Nov 2018 06.19 by TCNZ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_mantle "The acid mantle is a very fine, slightly acidic film on the surface of human skin acting as a barrier to bacteria, viruses and other potential contaminants that might penetrate the skin.[1] Sebum is secreted by the sebaceous gland and when mixed with sweat becomes the acid mantle. The pH of the skin is between 4.5 and 6.2, slightly acidic.[2][3] Since blood is slightly alkaline (7.4), pathogenic bacteria that become adapted to the pH of the skin and are able to reach internal tissues will encounter an environment to which they are less well adapted. This combination of acidic exterior and alkaline interior is one of the body's non-specific host defenses against bacterial pathogens."

Posted Sat 16 Feb 2019 21.58 by Savannah Diana

I'm trying this hydrogen peroxide for sure. I was just told that is what I have by my doctor. No tests were done. I looked it up when I got home to figure out what exactly I had. She (my doctor) said psoriasis/eczema. After reading about both and also seeing dematitis, I've concluded it must be psoriasis on my scalp. I touched at least a year or more ago that my head would itch all over. I couldn't see anything but maybe some red splotchiness. No dry scalp or plaques or sores. The sores have just come in the last 2 months just above the nape of my neck and up about 2 or 3 inches. I saw also that it could be on knees or elbows. I have had one Half-dime sized dry spot on one knee for a year or so and two small ones on one elbow that will need a little if I scratch them. I had been putting a bandaid with Neosporin on my elbow when it bothers me. I was told to get Selsun Blue. Funny thing is I had been using Equate brand Head N Shoulders for a long time to stop the itchiness on my scalp and it helped. I never had dandruff. So 2 months ago I bought a Lush shampoo bar to try something new and I loved using a bar shampoo. I'm sad I have to go back to a liquid. Anybody know of a bar shampoo for psoriasis? Ointments? Cremes? Thank you for your time.

1 Posted Sun 3 Mar 2019 22.18 by wendyloish (edited Sun 3 Mar 2019 23.30 by wendyloish)

I thought about this one for a while, and put up a positive post. Well now I can say I have tried the hydrogen peroxide on some psoriasis on my legs. We had another prolonged heat wave and immediately my skin broke out. After 3 days it is greatly improved and my expectation is that the affected areas will be cleared in the next day or so. Incidentally it felt cool and the itch was relieved immediately. A bit of a sting where there was any skin broken, but on the whole I give this one my endorsement. Thanks NorthWind wendyloish

Posted Sat 28 Sep 2019 20.34 by mjohnr (edited Sat 28 Sep 2019 20.47 by mjohnr)

Hello group, I found this forum after a search for the 2 key subjects in this discussion, and I have some information to share on this topic. I personally stumbled onto this exact "cure" some 30 years ago now, and will verify the claims made here. It began with a spot near my elbow that wouldn't stop itching, and bothered me for days. Long story short,I found that H2O2 to be the best substance to take care of the deep itching. It felt like it "scratched" the itch all the way down to my bone. Other spots developed over the years, and all met with the same fate using the H2O2 "cure". I say "cure" because the technique I used resulted in the psoriasis never returning to the same spot again. It would always flare up in a different location, mostly the upper body with the arms being the main areas. At this time in life (mid 50s), I can say that a flare-up rarely occurs, and I can go 6 to 8 months without any "itchy spots". I honestly didn't know it was psoriasis until I did some research online several years ago - but the "cure" always worked, so I went on with life. The technique I used is exactly as described above (H2O2 on cotton ball), but with a time difference. I would rub the white spot and the nearby area (1 to 2 inch diameter) until the burning part of it would fade down a good bit. It would begin with "scratching" the itch, then move into burning and sometimes even stinging severely, then would fade down to a slight, dull burn. If it does actually sting, get ready for a severe sting for 30 seconds or so - like it's dying a violent death of some sort. This whole process would take anywhere from 20 to 50 minutes to achieve completely. The time varies due to whether it's in thick skin or thin skin (like above the eye-lids), and at what point it would stop growing in size or stop spreading. Often it would triple in size from the beginning, or other random-shaped spots would appear nearby too - requiring efforts. I had one episode take almost 3 hours of time to get fully dealt with, because of the spread of the "white flesh". Since H2O2 "wears out" in 4 or 5 minutes, it's important to keep applying fresh solution to the cotton ball. Sometimes rubbing, then holding it in place for a minute, back to rubbing - first one direction, then try another. As mentioned, the affected area can scab over, and depending on how deep it goes, can take 2 weeks to heal up nicely, with a scar there for 2 or 3 months. Most the treated flare-ups will be much better in a week, and maybe a scar for 2 or 3 weeks. But the "itchies" never return to that area again, unless I try to rush it and short-cut the process. Having said that, my face took 2 or 3 applications per area because I let it go for years before realizing it was the same stuff as I had on my arms. I thought it was eczema and kept it in check with hydrocortisone - which eventually couldn't control it anymore. So I braced for having an ugly face for several days after each treatment, and simply told co-workers what I was doing so they wouldn't think I was on meth! The deeper, more severe spots will weep for a bit after the treatment, especially the face/scalp areas. The H2O2 will discolor hair on arms, eyebrows, and the head, because of the time it takes to apply properly. The most difficult spot I ever treated, was at the corner of my eye, next to my nose - that was attacked with a Q-tip/H2O2 and very careful attention to keep it out of my eye. And lastly, most of my "itchy" episodes would wake me up from sleeping, and I would lose an hour of precious rest to get it dealt with (or lie awake scratching). I hope these insights may bring a little more clarity to this procedure for those of you willing to give it a try. As always, I make no guarantees as to the results YOU may get from following these guidelines - it's simply what worked for me. And today, I'm fairly free of the affliction, along with many areas I'm confident it'll never return to (after being treated). Any questions I'll try to answer best I can...

Posted Sun 29 Sep 2019 06.34 by Vicci

I have psoriasis all over my scalp and the itch is driving me nuts (not to mention the broken finger nails from scratching😱). Is there an easy way to treat my scalp. Spot treatment would take forever. Thanks.

Posted Sat 19 Oct 2019 16.07 by paul12345

Just wondering has the H202 helped with your psoriasis on your scalp?Would you recommend it?

Posted Sun 20 Oct 2019 07.35 by Vicci

Hi. It's still work in progress for me right now. Been using H202 together with ACV but am having a massive flare up at the mo. Never known skin to replicate so fast 😱

1 Posted Mon 25 Nov 2019 06.29 by gpmo8691

This stuff works! It's the only thing that seems to provide almost immediate & lasting relief from excruciating itching. Out of desperation I searched & searched until I came along this forum. I was familiar with using this to cure nail fungus mixed 50/50 with Listerine but not for itch relief. A good 10 minute soak of exclusively hydrogen peroxide seems to give about 6-8 hours relief. There's very little information out there attributing this benefit to Hydrogen Peroxide & I've never had any dermatologist that was familiar with this benefit. It truly blows my mind how many effective home remedies are out there but do not get any attention in favor of Big Pharma's high dollar prescriptions that often provide little to no relief. The dermatologist had nothing to offer that seemed to work as well as this did.

Posted Wed 22 Jan 2020 00.49 by Aria

Help! I tried hydrogen peroxide. The leasions just got red, but it's not cured or anything and it stopped the Itching for that moment, but then it returned. I probably had them soaking for half hour. Am I doing something wrong? I'm to the point of wanting to burn my skin off

Posted Wed 22 Jan 2020 01.24 by gpmo8691

Hydrogen peroxide worked great for my ECZEMA, sorry you didn't get the same results from it. Another product I started using that was very helpful is 5% Dimethicone cream, it's available from Amazon. It's both very SOOTHING to the skin & provided some pretty quick relief of the itching. Once I started applying it to the affected area 6 or more times/day for a couple of weeks my skin really started to improve. I also switched to HYPOALLERGENIC hand & bar soap to minimize any irritation. I also gave up hand washing any dishes altogether as well as using protective gloves when using household cleaners. I had to do all of the above at the same time for a period of a few weeks in order to get the best overall results. Good luck!

Posted Sat 25 Jan 2020 15.27 by OhNo_NotAgain?

gpm08691: do you actually suffer from Eczema or psoriasis or both? Your posts are not clear.

Posted Tue 29 Dec 2020 15.22 by Steve Z

Wish I had seen the post from Northwind sooner. Absolutely spot on (no pun intended) in the use of 3% hydrogen peroxide for treating psoriasis especially when there is a swelling with a blister that has broken and scabbed over, but won't heal. A cotton ball or Qtip soaked in 3 % peroxide rubbed over the scab to remove it and once removed keep pressing the soaked cotton ball over the wound until it foams white. Let dry and then rub a Neosporin type of antibiotic pain relief ointment and cover with a band aid. For the record, several dermatologists have prescribed triamcinolone acetonide 0.1% which doesn't work for me at all and Sarna, which temporarily soothes but doesn't stop the itching, same with the 1% over the counter hydrocortisone creams with their plethora of magic ingredients. Hope this helps.

Posted Tue 5 Jan 2021 04.54 by gpmo8691

Yes, Triamcinolone worked well for me in addition to the itch relief from the hydrogen peroxide for Eczema. I also used OTC Dimethicone cream by Secura for pain relief from Amazon $6.99 U.S. I also resorted to using hypoallergenic soaps such as "Purpose" brand & shampoos as well, I only found PERMANENT remission/relief when I used in COMBINATION all of the above suggestions over a period of a couple of months but now I am symptom-free for the last several months & accomplished it based on reading this board & WITHOUT an expensive physician.

Posted Sat 17 Dec 2022 17.49 by augulteeee (edited Wed 15 Feb 2023 17.58 by augulteeee)

Betnovate Cream - https://hespac.com/psoriasisen.htm Purchased this for my father, works wonderful. Takes care of all the itchy, flaky areas including the scalp. Highly recommend this product.

To take part, sign in or register with us