vitamin D analogue cream

Posted Tue 8 Jan 2019 20.26 by Jeannette50

Has anyone used vitamin D analogue cream - successfully or not? Thinking of asking my Dr for this (scalp) as do not want to use any of the steroid options. Have been checking the research and vitamin D deficiency is implicated in P so will get a blood test too and see if I may need a supplement.

Posted Wed 9 Jan 2019 08.00 by OhNo_NotAgain?

I was prescribed Dovonex several years ago, it contains Calcipotriol - a synthetic form of Vitamin D. It seemed fairly effective for short term relief of my plaque psoriasis. More recently I was prescribed Dovobet which contins a steroid in addition to the calcipotriol - it was far more effective for me, and seemed to give greater long-term improvement. I am not sure that Dovonex is some sort of treatment to address a vitamin D deficinecy in the body, rather then simply being effective as a topical treatment. You might be better served discussing that with your doctor. I found that Dovonex and Dovobet were both very messy and inefficient to use for the scalp, if you have hair. I know that there is a foam version of Dovobet called Enstilar which is ideally suited for use on the scalp (in hair) but I don't know what better alternative to Dovonex might exist. Fortunately I was able to bring my scalp under control using coal-tar prepearations and then a shampoo called Alphacade PSO alternated with Alphosyl, and kept the Dovonex/Dovobet for my body. Note: there have been some short term shortages of supply of the smaller sizes (30g) of Dovonex and Dovobet. Dovonex was last year reclassified as suitable to be purchased over-the-counter, but the manufacturer has not done this and only supplied via prescription. If you type Dovonex into the search bar at the top of this page/screen, you can read about it for yourself.

Posted Wed 9 Jan 2019 11.06 by AliceL

My dermatologist had prescribed me dovobet / Calcipotriol for flare ups and donovet for maintenance ...

Posted Thu 10 Jan 2019 00.49 by Jeannette50

Thanks for that info OhNo_NotAgain and Alicel.

Posted Mon 14 Jan 2019 00.19 by Jeannette50

So saw GP and prescribed Calcipotriol lotion - chemist had to put it on order so have not started yet as waiting for delivery. By some posts here and images on the internet I guess my scalp P would be described as mild to moderate (none visible as all under my hair), but I don't want it to get any worse. I was already taking a vit D supplement but had the Dr test level along with magnesium (as they work in conjunction you need to take them together- vit D does not work without magnesium and most people are deficient in both). I am also doing the blueberry and turmeric (with black pepper) - both contain polyphenols that strengthen bodies defenses. Having the blood tests will hopefully guide me in obtaining optimum levels.

To take part, sign in or register with us