Treating plaque psoriasis on the scalp with natural afro hair

Posted Thu 10 Jan 2019 10.01 by Leechypie (edited Thu 10 Jan 2019 10.02 by Leechypie)

Hi All. I've been diagnosed with plaque psoriasis for a year now. Hand on heart I probably had it for a year and a half before that, but I thought it was ezcema or ringworm and was using over the counter remedies. One of my main problem areas is my scalp. I have natural curly afro hair and when I get a flare up it really covers my whole head. I've been prescribed dermarol 500 to debride my scalp, then polytar shampoo, then Enstilar foam. The thing is, due to my hair texture it's really difficult to get the treatments directly to my scalp. Also excretions from where my skin has cracked or is irritated, plus the treatments themselves matts my hair. This makes it difficult to see where to apply things and also to deliver the products to my skin. It's so painful and tight....plus when i wash my hair and comb it or try to detangle it when wet (a must) it cracks and lifts the scales....I bleed onto my pillow and my scalp is constantly itchy and flaky...and it's incredibly difficult to even tie my hair up for work.... Please can anybody help? I'm waiting to see a community dermatologist and hopefully try some UV treatment. Any advice re washing techniques, products, anything etc. would be much appreciated. It's so painful and really affecting me. Thanks in advance. Xxx

Posted Sun 13 Jan 2019 22.10 by Sab

Hi. My son has same problem. I have tried everything else & so far what has helped him is covering his hair with Black castor oil (loads). wrap his head with cling film & leave for a few hrs. Wash off with luke warm water only ( too hot is not good as it strips the oil from scalp). it has imporved but not gone. But I am going to buy hemp oil shampoo from Holland & Barratt tomorrow & see if that work. My sister tried the Hemp cream for exzma & it cleared up in less than a wk. So fingers crossed

To take part, sign in or register with us