PPP treatment help

Posted Wed 13 Mar 2019 11.20pm by Gwil
39 year old Bricklayer/builder suffering with PPP on palms of both hands looking for treatment that will reduce flareups & pain

Hi everyone

I was diagnosed with PPP 7 years ago at the age of 33, I only have it on the palms of my hands not on my feet. I’m a Bricklayer by trade and found day to day life difficult but I plod on. I have been seeing a dermatologist for a few years now, tried steroid creams with regular use of Vaseline,cetroben some other creams from health shops to keep it moisturised. I wear cotton gloves 24/7 and although I can get away with it in work however summer days with a T-shirt on and gloves draws attention. I’ve tried acitretin for nearly a year which had no benefits but suffered hair loss, Ciclosporin reduced flare ups but I felt unwell and my stomach swelled up to which I had to come off the medicine. I have been on methotrexate now for 6 months and feel unwell, no energy, tummy upset, buzzing sound in my ear and constantly feel like vomiting. My hands clear for a day or two then I get flare ups. I have a doctors appointment end of the week and I’m looking to come off the medication as 2 & half years of medication hasn’t helped much but made me feel unwell & depressed. When I have flare ups I use Dermo pads, it’s like a plaster but benefits from not using gloves and the mess it makes when blisters burst.

For a year the Dermatologist was telling me about a clinical trial called Apricot & another called Plum which he was hopeful I would take part, my name was on the list but unfortunately the area I’m from wasn’t considered for the trial (hopefully it’s a success and possibly be a new treatment for us in the near future)

I haven’t tried UV as my dermatologist claims it won’t work and it’s useless for PPP. Has anyone got any experience in it working?

What methods have you tried that I haven’t mentioned worth giving a go? I have recently agreed to do a virtual appointment with my dermatologist because he feels that I would benefit by not taking time off work to go to hospital for appointments, I get the feeling that there isn’t much more he can do to help me, I have suggested would it be worth me doing a tolerance test but he’s against the idea of flare ups a result of maybe Dairy or gluten etc... have anyone of you done a test and seen a difference by cutting down on certain foods/drinks?

To take part, sign in or register with us

The Psoriasis Association is the UK's leading national charity and membership organisation for people affected by psoriasis – patients, families, carers and health professionals Read More >

Get in touch

The Psoriasis Association Dick Coles House 2 Queensbridge Northampton NN4 7BF

Email: mail@psoriasis-association.org.uk

Tel :
01604 251 620
Fax :
01604 251 621
Registered with Fundraising Regulator -

© The Psoriasis Association Charitable Incorporated Organisation Number: 1180666 Scotland: SC039886 Privacy PolicyCookies

Site by Spoken Image | glitterfish

We use cookies to help us provide you with a better service, but do not track anything that can be used to personally identify you.

If you prefer us not to set these cookies, please visit our Cookie Settings page or continue browsing our site to accept them.