Controlling the symptoms of psoriatic arthritis with diet. No more pain!

Posted Sat 16 Mar 2019 00.58 by wendyloish

It is now a years since I went on the FODMAP diet, so I wanted to put up a post about how I came to do that, and how it has impacted on my life. I had health issues dating back many years. My psoriasis dated back to my late teens (I am now 72). My 30s saw thyroid problems begin to develop. In my 40s I had joint and back problems start, with X-ray confirmation of arthritis in joints and back At the same time I was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome and tinnitus. Doctors did not seem to ever put any of this together, although I was tested for lupus in my early 50s, when the results came back with elevated autoimmune markers, but not high enough to definitely determine lupus. In my 50s I developed atypical angina. I started to lose my sense of balance (doctor's solution, my brain was ageing and I should walk with a stick). In my 60s I developed high blood pressure. My back and joint problems got ever worse. By my mid 60s I was getting CT scans and spinal cortisone injections. I was told my condition was chronic. I should learn to live with it. I got bottles of prednisolone pills. At the age of 70 I was diagnosed as asthmatic. How could the doctors have missed that one for 70 years???? The final straw was I started falling over. Not slipping, not being dizzy, but just falling over. Finally a CT scan suggested my lower back had become so bad that Iwas suffering from L5 nerve root impingement. I was facing losing my mobility and a life of constant pain. I was adverse to medication as my brother had recently had problems while taking methotrexate and had had to go off it. My GP told me to lose weight as it might help with the symptoms. As anyone with thyroid problems knows, that is extremely difficult, and unsustainable. So, I decided to fast. I fasted for 5 days, only allowing myself water, a cup or 2 of instant coffee (with aspartamine and a dash of milk) and a cup of hot water with a teaspoon of instant stock powder (for the salt). I was amazed that each day of the fast I felt better. The arthritic pain disappeared. I became more limber, I could bend and twist a little. It was becoming evident that my psoriatic arthritis and spondilitis (that is the name for psoriatic arthritis in the back) could be allayed by diet. It was obvious that eating nothing was not sustainable, so I needed a diet. The internet is burdened down with alternatives. YouTube is overflowing with alternatives. I wanted a diet that had some sort of scientifically proved efficacy. I settled on FODMAP as it was developed by Monash University for a known autoimmune problem, irritable bowel syndrome, one of my many longstanding health problems. I liked that it cut out all possible inflammation causing foods, with the idea that once inflammation was under control potential problem foods could be introduced one by one to see their impact. I could be my own personal experiment. It took only days for my guts to get better and my reflux to disappear. But the pain was also under control. It took about 10 to 12 weeks for movement in my back and limbs to really get better. I began sleeping in my bed again (I had been curled up on the couch), I started to go to a disco dancing class once a week. I was walking normally up and down stairs. Somehow I was remembering things faster and better. Whether it was a result of the withdrawal of pain or a direct result of the diet on my brain, I was thinking more clearly. I have not had any more falls. And I am not walking with a stick! So I want people with similar problems to know that diet may help. 12 months after I started the diet, I am still on it. When you get out of the grip of long term pain, I figure, why tempt fate. I propose, then, to stay on the FODMAP diet for the rest of my life. I will put up a post on inflammation causing foods separately for those not interested in the details of my personal story. I hope this information might help you. wendyloish

Posted Sat 16 Mar 2019 10.55 by Joany
Hi it's nice to know this site is here for people like me. I am so frustrated at living with this annoying problem and wondered if there ma

Your story could be mine. I had to stop dancing but I'm going to research Fodmap diet and return to you. Thanks so much!

Posted Wed 10 Jul 2019 08.38 by Dorothy

Thank you for posting this. I've been reading about the FODMAP diet. One thing confused me. On the site I found, it listed 'weak herbal tea' as good and 'strong herbal tea' as bad, but it then also listed 'peppermint tea' (no mention of strength) as good and 'fennel tea' (again, no mention of strength) as bad - since they are both herbs, I'm assuming 'herbal tea' is referring to a specific drink. Any thoughts?

Posted Thu 11 Jul 2019 00.31 by wendyloish

Hi Dorothy, The Monash app I have on my phone (cost me $10 Australian), gives details that your site appears not to have done. Here is the information you are seeking. Fennel tea fennel tea strong or weak is not recommended as it is high in oligos-fructans. Herbal tea herbal tea, strong (tea bag soaked for some time) is also high in oligos-fructans. The herbal tea they describe is fruit and floral based tea containing chicory root. The same tea, weak, allows a 250g cup as borderline, while a 180g cup is considered OK. (1g of water = 1ml). Peppermint tea peppermint tea, strong is OK for a large cup (250g). So basically there is no problem with any amount of this. There are a number of other herbal teas mentioned on the app as well. If you are seriously into FODMAP I would suggest the app. Monash are the originators of the diet, so there is always nothing better than the horses mouth. Hope this is helpful. wendyloish

Posted Thu 11 Jul 2019 16.40 by Dorothy

Ah, ok, I understand. I think the 'herbal tea' they are referring to is what I would call 'fruit teas' - they are very popular over here, but have a lot of stuff in that I would either not drink or would not drink in large quantities. It always amazes me that people can sell these things with no advise or warning on them - I had a friend who was drinking a 'revitalizing' tea in huge quantities. It was very largely composed of liquorice root along with a couple of herbs that have laxative qualities... You can imagine what happened! Yet no warning on the packet as to limiting your intake. I'm afraid my phone doesn't do apps, just texts and calls. I only have internet access on computer. But I've found the Monash FODMAP website, which is very informative. Thank you for your advice & help.

To take part, sign in or register with us