Psoriasis with lifestyle

Posted Mon 6 May 2019 19.19 by Billy2018

Hi all, I am 27 years old and I’ve been suffering from psoriasis on the scalp for around 5 years. I have seen it progress to now in a serious state where I am going to need to make a big lifestyle change to get it back under control. I have numerous visits to the dermatologist both NHS & Bupa but they have been no help. I don’t really want to take the medications anyway after reading the reviews on here. I have just started with CBD oil 5% and use Adex Gel on the affected areas. I was after advice on dietary recommendations, I have read about FODMAP & Keto diet which are both meant to help skin conditions. Has anyone been to the doctors for food allergy tests? I have a feeling I could have a gluten intolerance but unsure. I have also decided I am going to give it my best attempt to give up alcohol for as long as possible if not forever. Has anyone seen improvements with removing alcohol from their life? Any advice would be grateful. Billy

Posted Mon 6 May 2019 20.26 by Kaylie

Hi, I am also 27 and have suffered with it on my scalp for about 10 years. I have changed my hair colour to hide it and manage it on a daily basis. I use natural shampoos (no harsh chemicals) which have been a massive help, I have the Kade treatemeny (recommended by dermatologist) that helped massively and would recommend it. I now use sebco to manage it but still have flare up, unfortunately i think it is part of the condition; some days are good and some aren’t. Alcoholic reduction helps and I would recommend getting rid of your intake or at least Limit ( easier said than done). But you’re not alone, it’s an emotional rollacoaster but hopefully you will find a remedy that works for you. All the best!

Posted Mon 6 May 2019 20.54 by Billy2018

Hi Kaylie, Thanks for the reply and the treatment advice I will try and purchase some myself and let you know how I get on. Yeah my alcohol intake is going to drop significantly, I’m just fighting a losing battle with my flare ups at the minute. Billy

Posted Tue 7 May 2019 23.12 by Thaumergy

Hi, I have scalp psoriasis too (21 y/a with it for 10 years) and I hate the medications and creams the doctors give to the point where I've pretty much ignored them for the past 5 years. For me I found reducing dairy really helps reduce my flare-ups for some reason so I'd definitely advise the low FODMAP diet. It's a good way to figure out what's causing your flareups. I'd recommend caution with the gluten intolerance unless eating gluten gives you distinct symptoms though because removing gluten completely can actually worsen or causes gluten intolerance! For me, alcohol doesn't affect flare-ups at all. In terms of shampoo and conditioner I use LUSH, Soak and Float shampoo bar. Since they reformulated it's not as effective, but it still really helps me maintain fairly manageable levels of flare up. It seems to really calm existing patches down. When I have flare-ups on my parting and hairline I attack twice daily with Aveeno colloidal oat moisturiser and it really works for me. I hope this is helpful for you, scalp psoriasis is so frustrating.

Posted Tue 14 May 2019 14.02 by Billy2018

Thanks very Thaumergy I will purchase the lush shampoo. Billy

Posted Wed 15 May 2019 23.34 by Chloelouise

Hi I’m 21, I have scalp psoriasis, I only found out last September. I’m trying to find good shampoo and conditioner. I currently use T-gel then Garnier ultimate blend coconut milk conditioner because T-gel makes your hair feel funny so the coconut softens it. T-Gel recently has been making my hair not last as long between washes. Open to any suggestions Chloe

Posted Thu 16 May 2019 11.36 by treetops

Hi Billy I have had every type of P during the last 34 years, including scalp. About 10 years ago i had the patch testing, through the NHS. I had about 20 patches on my back for 5 days, testing for everyday foods and chemicals. I was convinced i would have an intolerance to the main foods, ie wheat, gluten and dairy. They were fine but i had a severe nickel alergy, which shook me as i am in the jewellery industry. So to cut a long story short, i left my job, did some courses in London on how to make your own natural, chemical free body cosmetics. These courses changed my view on whats in your shampoos, body creams etc. It helped me look deeper into what is actuallly in your bathroom. I have not purchased a single cosmetic item from Boots or Superdrug since. I tend not to shampoo my hair very often. I do condition it most days but go as long as possible without using shampoo. Can be a month. And to be honest its in the best condition it has ever been. Although my body is covered my scalp is clear. When i do shampoo my hair it goes lank and uncontrolable. I also do not use any products or heat. The dermatologist told me never to dye my hair, which i havent but i do have a naughty light perm maybe every couple of years, tut tut, lol. . I have curly shoulder length hair. Looks a little out there sometimes but i just pin it up lol. I use Faith in Nature or Dr Organics from Holland and Barrett. Also Green People are amazing. I do rub the conditioner all in my hair so theoretically you could say i am shampooing with conditioner! Reading this back it does sound a little odd but i have noticed a massive difference in my scalp and it works for me. I have no idea why lol. Maybe it will help you, hopefully! I feel your pain :( Kind Regards Teresa

Posted Thu 16 May 2019 21.25 by Billy2018

Hi Teresa, My girlfriend is the same she looks very deep in to skin care so she won’t use cosmetics from high street stores. She uses a lot of tropic stuff. Thanks for your reply BR Billy

To take part, sign in or register with us