Up coming dermatology appointment

Posted Wed 29 Jan 2020 22.24 by Hannahjohnston

Hi Everyone! This page is just a fountain of knowledge, I'm so glad I came across it! Hoping someone has some advice for me! I've had psoriasis since I was 4 years old, I'm now 26 and have had almost everything treatment under the sun. Currently having a really bad flare up that my steroid ointments just aren't touching. I can't wait for the wonderful NHS dermatologist unfortunately so I'm going private instead. My questions for all of you is about Humira. I've done my homework online but there's no one better to tell you about a treatment than the people who've had it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My main query is that I have my appointment with the dermatologist next week and I'm hoping to walk out of the clinic with a prescription in my hand. How likely is this to happen?/ Will the doctor want a host of bloods before starting me on the drug? If so, I'd rather get them done myself before I go, so not to delay things. Like I said any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you 😊

Posted Thu 30 Jan 2020 19.26 by Dmort

Hi there In my experience I had to go for separate screening appointment, including various blood tests for which the results did take a good few weeks, this was all before being prescribed Amgevita which I believe is similar to Humira. I’ve been on the injections now for 2 months. In my case prescribed for the arthritis, but I’m noticing some very stubborn areas of psoriasis are getting better. Good luck.

Posted Sat 8 Feb 2020 08.02 by Sizzy
Psoriasis 40 years, most treatments tried over this time, currently on biologics (stelara) as nothing else work.

Hi Hannahjohnston I'm 47 and had psoriasis since 11. Tried every steroid available (work short term then flare/ thin skin too much) D based creams, PUVA, UVA, ciclosporin, methotrexate, tried ignoring it, humira and just about to start Stelara. Most are limited use due to skin thinning or other health risks. Puva worked really well short term for me but I'd had my quota by my mid 20's. Ciclosporin can only be used short term (1 year) due to likely kidney issues. Didn't clear completely but good result but flared once off it. Methotrexate worked ok for me but never clear and again flared after stopping. It is basically low dose chemo and I had rather significant hair loss on that. Please remember not everyone gets the same reactions and we found taking iron supplements helped with that. Started humira injections in 2014. Worked within weeks and totally clear in a month. Be aware it is a biological and has black box warnings (possible serious side effects). Started to get mega batches of eptopic heart beats during year 1.5 humira but cardiologist thought not related and heart healthy. Year 3 started to get neurological issues with muscle twitching, 24/7 tingling in feet and other less frequent areas. After MRIs and nerve tests in year 4 they took me off humira but have since said it was not the cause of the health issues. Finished humira 8 months ago and 4 months ago skin started to flare and is still getting worse so due to start Stelara in a month or so. Be aware Stelara is a biological and has black box warnings (possible serious side effects). Upshot is you are still very young and I feel for you. If you have the constant psoriasis like me you are chronic. Some of us do not have psoriasis free periods without treatment. If you are looking to have children really careful consideration would need to be given as to what treatment you could have. Having said that humira and stelara are biologics and you will probably only get these if you have exhausted all other avenues ie ciclosporin and methotrexate. Lots of people have mentioned special exclusion diets which would be worth trying 1st but what works for one may not work for another. I would get yourself referred to a really good dermatology department and make sure you have 6 monthly appointments so you are never discharged. Getting re referred is a nightmare. I've attended Guys and st Thomas's for 25 years plus and can get emergency appointments within a week if needed and have access to email nurses for advice. I wish you really good luck with your skin. It can get you down but we still have to live xx

To take part, sign in or register with us