Psoriasis not going away?

Posted Wed 29 Apr 2020 17.01 by FlakinStevens (edited Wed 29 Apr 2020 17.02 by FlakinStevens)

Hi all, this is my first post on this forum, I’ve been reading through and it’s nice to see many others in the same boat as me even though I wish you all the very best with your treatments and conditions! My story. Around a year ago I noticed a small, dry circular patch of skin on my right upper arm, didn’t think much of it and left it alone, a few weeks later i noticed another small, dry circular patch on my stomach, then even more patches started to appear on my legs, arms, chest, back, scalp and face. I went to the doctors and the doctor initially diagnosed the patches as ringworm and gave me some cream which did absolutely nothing, so I went back a month later and it was then he diagnosed psoriasis. I wasn’t massively shocked at this news because my mum has eczema and my brother has psoriasis however trying to pinpoint the trigger is what confuses me the most. Recently though I keep seeming to get more and more random patches, it’s not “traditional” psoriasis as, funnily enough I don’t have any on my elbows or knees, but they appear in completely random places. One on my left shin, one on the outside of my right lower leg just above the ankle, random one half way down my left forearm, one on my left hand, side of my thigh, shoulders etc and are just individual circles rather than large scaled areas. The ones on my body don’t bother me so much because I can cover them, although I do worry that eventually my whole body will be covered in it and would still like them to go down or away, even my girlfriend jokes and says I’m a Dalmatian. I’ve used various creams, E45, Cetraben, Calcipotriol Ointment, Betamethasone Valerate etc, none of which have done anything really. The ones on my forehead/hairline and scalp are the worst because they’re the hardest to hide. I struggle using T-Gel because frankly it stinks and doesn’t actually do anything to treat my scalp, I could deal with the smell if the product worked but it doesn’t. I’ve also used Nizoral which doesn’t smell at all but again, does nothing. I’m 25 now and realise I’ll probably be dealing with this for the rest of my life although I am wondering whether it’s better to go to a dermatologist for some “stronger” medication. I’ve quit smoking to see if that helps, rarely drink alcohol, exercise regularly and drink plenty of water, all of which is apparently meant to help ease the psoriasis but nothing seems to do anything, I’ve only quit smoking for a month so maybe it’s too soon to expect to see any difference but you never know! I don’t feel stressed about anything and I’m a pretty laid back guy, so I’m trying to find out what my triggers are and avoid them, I just don’t know what they could be at the moment! Anyway, apologies for the long winded post, any advice is very much welcomed! Also happy to try different treatments, my skin is already ruined so I’m not bothered if anything makes it worse 😂 Thanks for reading. Flakin’

Posted Wed 29 Apr 2020 17.37 by Mike Quigley - 57 from

Hi Flakin. Totally understand the situation. Very similar situation with myself in both odd places where psoriasis started and was a also diagnosed by gp with ringworm,and ezcema which were both incorrect. Eventually after the patches increased and it started on my forehead I paid to see a dermatologist privately who diagnosed guttate psoriasis which is very typically displayed as tear round drop patches on the body. To cut to the chase after like you having previously tried all the topical creams and ointments which none worked. He advised recommended uvb light treatment which was not available readily via the NHS so went privately again and ended up buying the machine which has 95% cleared my psoriasis even on my hands and face. It's the best treatment that I could recommend to you.if you need further details please just ask and I can send you my details by email to discuss further. Regards Mike

Posted Wed 29 Apr 2020 18.38 by FlakinStevens

Hi Mike, Thanks for taking the time to read my message and reply! You’d think GPs would know the difference between ringworm and psoriasis but I understand them wanting to rule certain things out. Please feel free to send me more information, if open to try anything at this stage!

Posted Thu 30 Apr 2020 12.34 by Mike Quigley - 57 from

Hi. I can email you the information on the uvb light treatment which I can highly recommend. Let me have your email address and I will send across all the information and some personal photos of the difference it has made to my own skin. Regards Mike

Posted Fri 1 May 2020 07.39 by FlakinStevens

Hey mike, Email me at flakinstevens@outlook.com I have been looking into the UVB lights, they do look very good!

Posted Fri 1 May 2020 10.41 by AMK

Hi, If you don’t mind Mike could you let me know your experience with the uvb light? I too spoke to a private consultant who recommended the uvb treatment for my inverse psoriasis. I have it quite bad and have previously been on all the topical treatments, cyclosporine and methotrexate. Only the cyclosporine worked but came back as soon as I came off it! I’ve been using a Dermfix handheld unit and after 3 months I haven’t really had any improvement. I followed the guidelines for building up timings but was curious to see how long and often you use yours? Thanks.

Posted Sun 3 May 2020 14.15 by Mike Quigley - 57 from

Hi AMK. Like yourself I tried methotrexate and worked but rebounded straight afterwards. In regards to UVB light treatment it was a different result. However like yourself again I purchased the Dermfix handheld unit and and after no results purchased a similar style one off ebay which was like a desk lamp which also was of no use . When I asked my dermatologist he informed me that these units just were not strong enough to work effectively. He recommended a full body unit , which I eventually ended up renting then purchasing which to be honest I should have done from the start but was a little cautious and thinking of the costs . Now I have two hand held units in the cupboard gathering dust but never mind. But the full length body unit worked , it took about 3 to 4 weeks to see any results but after 6 weeks it had cleared almost by 90% .I still use it to keep it in remission and can only recommend such treatment. Forgot all the c*ap about skin cancer as there has not been a single case ever recorded in the last 20 years from narrowband uvb treatment and also its about here and now with this terrible debilating skin condition , I will worry about it in twenty years time if I need to and evidence is changed but its about the quality of life I have now .Good Luck.Mike

Posted Mon 4 May 2020 08.04 by AMK

Thanks for the reply Mike, really pleased you've managed to get your psoriasis under control as it really is a battle! My condition is isolated to one area and although it's pretty bad I didn't even consider a full unit due to the size. Could you let me know where you purchased the unit from please so I can look into it. Thanks.

Posted Mon 4 May 2020 11.51 by Mike Quigley - 57 from

Sure no problems. I first rented the unit,but it worked so well for me I ended up purchasing it. I bought it from skin matters of Bristol who were fantastic in both advice and service . They have a website where you can view range and models. Worth every penny ! Mike

Posted Mon 4 May 2020 21.20 by AMK

Thanks, will have a look.

Posted Sat 13 Jun 2020 20.42 by patis

Hi I have psoriase artrites not very severe for now. I been trying several approaches at the same time. Problably its related to diferent origins that converge to the same result. 1, so i adapted my diet : no gluten, no eggs, no sugar (sacarose, glicose) , no dairy, no spices just herbs , no alcool no smoking. Omega 3 (salmon, flaxseeds, chia seeds) 2, been taking CBD oil full spetrucm organic, to balance the endocannabinoid system 3. apllication to the skin cbd oil and mositurise with Vit. A organic 3. Exercise and meditation, avoinding get stressed and good night sleep 4. Avoinding hot showers, bath, just warm , it afects my artrites 5, Iam having as well moringa powder and propolis to help with the inflammation It still quite recent so iam trying to adapt and to find the best solutions that work for me, and to get more disciplined. For now the patches on my elbow disapear but still on my back and the artrites varies everyday.

To take part, sign in or register with us