Genital psoriasis - any advice?

Posted Wed 17 Mar 2021 02.12 by cath13

Hi everyone, reading these posts, i feel a tad better that its not just me🙄 feel so awful with it all, its causing me depression. Nothing seems to work, i use the steroid creams then as soon as i stop it comes back abd has caused a fisure and skin tag on my bum, that cant be renoved because of the skin been thin cos of the steroids. Its so frustrating isnt it? Ive been doinv everythinv holistically for 5 years, and 100% believe thar it stems from an infection/ bacteria and diet has a huge part to play. I came off stelara a year ago and mine is 10x worse than when i went on it. I find been in the sun clears it so have started taking vitamin d tablets. Anyone else looked into diet change? I find dairy and alcohol make it so much worse, im looking at gluten free / veggie/ vegan diets to see of it makes a difference .thanks x

Posted Mon 13 Sep 2021 21.39 by Fee

Horrid isn’t it! I have psoriasis on one side of my vagina running around my body to the side of my anus, why just one side, I don’t know, but I’m grateful. I can recommend silk boxers worn inside out for your underwear, because even silk knickers are stitched with man made threads, annoyingly and I too find seams in general itchy and knitted silk can be washed at 60 degrees. I use Silkis as a treatment with epaderm as a moisturiser, Good luck!

Posted Mon 13 Sep 2021 23.05 by Happychappy

Your 100% right its horrid. After 2 years of perianal flexural psoriasis, I conclude there's no exact science to treatment. It's pure luck and chance. Flares come and go. This works then that works. Gotta keep the faith and keep positive. Take care.

Posted Tue 14 Sep 2021 17.58 by Manc lad

Hello, yes any psoriasis patches on the soft tissue areas of my crotch are really uncomfortable and can be distressing (which in itself doesn't help). I sympathise with anyone who is also impacted by this condition. However, I've been dealing with small psoriatic patches on my penis for 30+ years which breakout sporadically. I successfully treat these patches sparingly with Silkis ointment and strangely this is the only area of my body that Silkis will work on. All other patches on the rest of my body I keep under control with Dovobet (which soaks into the skin and is less greasy than Silkis). The patches on my scalp and nails I control with use of DiproSalic liquid. I hope this helps - again my sympathies to others suffering with this awful condition.

Posted Thu 16 Sep 2021 16.55 by dijonmillette

Have a say in developing a Clinical Trial for genital psoriasis: I am a Dermatology Registrar at the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital working with 3 other Dermatology Registrars/Clinical fellows across the country with the UK Dermatology Clinical Trials Network (DCTN). We are planning to create a new project relating to genital psoriasis as we realise this is an important area for patients struggling with psoriasis and there is not much information available in the research literature. We would like to gather some patient opinions on what is important for you and what research questions you would want answered around genital psoriasis. For example, we would be interested to hear your opinions on the following: How do patients feel about applying a treatment? E.g.: how messy are they? Do you experience any side effects? Can you tolerate them? Do they work/help? Which is the best treatment? Are topicals or tablet therapies better for genital psoriasis? What impact does genital psoriasis have on your mental wellbeing, quality of life, intimacy and relationships? Have you tried any psychological interventions that have helped to improve your psoriasis? Any other issues you feel are important or not addressed with your genital psoriasis. If you would be happy to discuss your opinions on these questions, or on any other aspects relating to flexural or inverse psoriasis, please get in contact with Dr Priya Patel at Priya.patel@nnuh.nhs.uk.

Posted Fri 17 Sep 2021 19.24 by Casper

- Extra Virgin Olive oil is the best treatment for skin effected by psoriasis. it will save you from any side effects, a natural remedy. My skin was all cleared from psoriasis in just 6 months. - Turmeric powder mixed with honey was medicine of Psoriasis (for me), for others it might be slightly different way of using turmeric powder. This part of body usually gets recover faster than other parts as it is covered most of the time. Olive oil has billions of benefits that many pharmaceuticals don't want to show off :) , This is game of money, selling medicines otherwise there is 100% treatment of psoriasis by the diet control, I have done it, I am fully recovered from 80% psoriasis on my body. good luck ..

Posted Thu 4 Aug 2022 09.19 by Happychappy

I'm back!!!! and so is my anal inverse p. To all those whose past help and advice has been invaluable, help!!! Yes flares come and go. Groins sort quickly. However, I flared 4 weeks ago courtesy of a foot op! Oh our clever bodies. All my usual lines of attack not working yet. My anus is resisting. I've resorted back to square one with Trimovate. Synalar, Eumovate don't want to know. Even protopic ain't doing it. It's the same old story. So annoying. The longest clear patch has been 3 months. Is it same as same as!! Or are there any magic answers out there. Your replies are most appreciated.

Posted Wed 16 Nov 2022 15.30 by lilypad123

Hi to all, Sorry to hear about your conditions, if you feel it is getting worse and would like treatment on it I do know of a dermatologist that is UK based who could potentially treat it for free if the condition is sensitive or severe enough. If you feel this opportunity could help do feel free to contact me via email for more information: anasandu274@yahoo.com

Posted Sun 11 Dec 2022 09.56 by Sarah J

Hello. Just wanted to say thank you for this discussion. It’s such a relief to read others experiences and advice. I wish we had had access to each others advice when I was a teenager/twenty something (now 55) Anyway, I shall now try some of your recommendations.

Posted Mon 12 Dec 2022 06.13 by Monk

I have the same situation but also have been going through some IBS issues. I seem to have a grip on the situation but I still have a bit of testing to do with different foods. I follow all the food restrictions seriously and i am learing my body does not like sugar. To try to keep my anus from getting fissures I started by not eating the standard foods that are mentioned to flare psoriasis. Alcohol, Caffeine, Dairy products, Eggs, Fatty red meat, Nightshades, Processed foods, bread, Spicy foods and Sugar. (I can eat bread but i only buy fresh loafs that I know dont have sugar) My psoriasis did mostly disappear but it would still flare randomly and because of my bowl issues I did the 'low fodmap diet' to get my gut figured out. Through that process I found out that all added sugars and fructose and fructan in fruit, for example honey, garlic and onions, make my anus psoriasis flare up. swelling, fissures, etc. I am just about done with the fodmaps reintroduction phase. My plan is to continue not eating fruits and veggies with fructose and fructan along with not eating the first list of foods. once I know I can keep the psoriasis gone I will reintroduce the foods on that list one at a time. The dermatologist prescribed Clobetasol Propionate USP, 0.05% which I use on my penis and scalp Tracolimus Ointment 0.1% which I use on my anus twice a day when it does flare. During the day and after going to the bathroom I use E45 lotion on the toilet paper. In my case, if I eat something my body doesn't like then it will flare the second day after. when it does flare I apply the ointment for 2 to 3 days then use lotion till the fissures go away. It speeds the process up. I will go away without it but it takes longer. once its back to normal and stable I try the next item. Normally takes 7 to 10 days per test, mostly waiting for the psoriasis to be gone for sure. It has been a really hard mental journey doing the elimination diet. Eating the same foods over and over to figure all this out but its awesome to understand it a little more. I highly suggest trying an elimination diet process. I wouldn't think you would have to worry about FODMAPS necessarily but at least stop eating the other foods and see if that works and if it does then test them one at a time. I use the Monarch University FODMAP Diet app to know what foods have different types of sugars. It was well worth paying the few bucks to have the information that it provides but thats kind of a whole different topic. its just helped me also know what flares my psoriasis. I keep a detailed food diary too.

To take part, sign in or register with us