PUVA Treatment

Posted Tue 29 Dec 2020 16.19 by Bill L

Hi. i have had psoriasis for about 20 years but recently have been doing PUVA treatment and it has been working very well so i thought i would mention. This involves taking a medicinal herb called psoralen and doing UV treatment twice a week. it’s really effective i have found. it has cleared up all the small plaques on my arms and chest, and while it has not totally cleared the big patches on my legs it has thinned them out to the point where they are no longer itchy, which is a massive relief. I previously tried cyclosporin which cleared up some psoriasis but it gave me hypertension (ie high blood pressure) so i had to stop taking it after 5 weeks or so. before that i used all the various steroid creams with limited success, (i think enstilar is the best one but it runs out too quickly. ) The only drawbacks with Puva are that you have to wear uv sunglasses for 12 hours each treatment day (many strange glances on the train in november ha) and sometimes you can have very hot and dry skin the next day, and need to use a lot of cream to moisturize your whole body. also the tablets are a bit heavy on the stomach but not too bad, nothing compared to cyclosporin. Well worth it overall i would say.

Posted Tue 29 Dec 2020 17.00 by scarletsmummy

I had a lot of Puva treatment a few years ago and like you took the Psoralen ( which makes you highly sensitive to any light ) I had my treatment in the Mornings and then went back to work so it was inconvenient having to wear the dark glasses all day . The Psoralen however made me feel really nauseous after a while and I felt i wanted to be sick all the time .The Puva did work but as soon as the treatment stopped it came back and i found it came back worse than before , so like other treatments its very short lived in the relief

Posted Tue 29 Dec 2020 18.26 by Bill L

thanks for the reply, that’s a shame it didn’t work out for you. i got very lucky with the timing to be doing it while 100% working from home no doubt. i don’t find the psoralen is too bad once i keep eating enough but i guess it’s different for everyone. Fingers crossed some of it will stay gone anyways as it used to be less widespread before 🤞🏻🙂

To take part, sign in or register with us