Methotrexate and covid 19 vaccine

Posted Sat 27 Feb 2021 15.39 by Nick_270 (edited Sat 27 Feb 2021 15.39 by Nick_270)
Moderate (verging on severe sometimes) psoriasis. Currently taking methotrexate.

Has anyone had any experience receiving the covid 19 vaccine while on methotrexate? I am on a dose of 15mg and it has worked well on my psoriasis. I've had relatively few side effects but those that I've had have included (general fatigue and slight nausea, normally around the day I take the dose). I received the covid 19 vaccine about 11 days ago and while I expected side effects to maybe last a little longer due to the meds, I am still feeling very bad. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Posted Sun 28 Feb 2021 01.55 by zapzap

My story. At 13 I got psoriasis. Now 58. Have tried everything. What worked the most was sun. I moved to warm climate and I was tanned and clear and felt good. Overdid it because I found something that worked. But it broke down and my skin is just red and blotchy. Have not been in remission in years. I know it will never be clear. Just want it livable for a peace of mind quality of life. To wear shorts and short sleeve shirt again like everybody else takes for granted. Methotrexate damaged my liver and was only medicine that made me Ill. They said liver would repair itself. But it never did and was on liver transplant list. The latest biologic I am own is skyrizi. Big disappointment. No improvement. On top of psoriasis from all the cortisone damage the slightest touch of my skin it goes red and blotchy, bleeds and bruises and takes forever to heal. Any advice. Thanks Al.

Posted Sun 7 Mar 2021 06.01 by Clari

I have developed psoriasis on my face - cheeks, forehead, eyebrows and creeping from my hairline in front of my ears. It is very bad too in scalp and ears. Can anyone suggest a cream, ointment or lotion that helps? I have had psoriasis since I was six. I am now 65. As a child it was very bad all over my body and scalp. It became more controllable when I was at university, but still very present. 20 years ago I developed psoriatic arthritis and take methotrexate which has worked well and pretty well cleared the psoriasis on my body. Unfortunately, it affected my liver & I was taken off it and everything came back even worse - and now psoriasis on my face quite badly. I have now been put back on a smaller dose of methotrexate but am very worried about my face. Any advice welcome!

Posted Tue 9 Mar 2021 11.45 by JoshCarder
Diagnosed with Psoriasis in 2011. Diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis in 2018.

Hi, I'm on 25mg/week Methotrexate injection and I had my Vaccine Friday before last. I must say that on the day, about 3 hours after the jab, I had what I would consider the worst headache I've ever had in my life. I felt like my head was going to explode. However, after about 30 minutes and some paracetamol, as quickly as it came it went. I've had no other side effects at all (other than a sore arm, but I mean that comes with the territory) and certainly wouldn't use this experience to not get the second dose.

Posted Tue 9 Mar 2021 11.59 by Nick_270
Moderate (verging on severe sometimes) psoriasis. Currently taking methotrexate.

We weren't sure whether it was a coincidentally timed bad reaction to the methotrexate or whether the vaccine and methotrexate were interacting... I'm part of a study to actually see what the immune response to the vaccine is like on methotrexate so hopefully that will shed some light on it. Out of interest, did you start on injections or tablets? I'm now being moved to injections because they think the side effects might be being caused by the oral nature of my meds.

Posted Tue 9 Mar 2021 19.45 by JoshCarder
Diagnosed with Psoriasis in 2011. Diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis in 2018.

I started on tablets and was moved to injections after the tablets weren't having the intended effect. 👍

Posted Mon 15 Mar 2021 01.15 by Murphy

You are asking for a medical analysis. I'm afraid your first go-to point should be a dermatologist. Are you able to get this kind of help in your country?

To take part, sign in or register with us