Child Psoriasis

Posted Sat 27 Feb 2021 15.44 by Caroline in Yorkshire

Hello, I am new to your association, my son was diagnosed with psoriasis aged 5 after contracting scarlet fever ( he was very poorly with this and doctor was late diagnosed it). The psoriasis started with a tiny patch on one elbow. Fast forward to today, he is now almost 11 years old and covered from head to toe (scalp psoriasis, face and body). We have a dematologist and a good gp. He was using enstillar for over a year which worked wonders at first but we have now stopped it as it caused side effects in the form of stretched marks on his arms. Since stopping the treatment the psoriasis has gone worse - which we expected. Dermatologist is talking about a referral for light treatment but we cannot access it due to covid. My son is now taking turmeric tablets and vit D tablets. Can you suggest anything? Should we proceed with light treatment privately or what would be best for children in treating psoriasis? We have cut down gluten and diary. Whenever I mention diet, anxiety, hormone to dermatologist he says there is no scientific data to back that it has an effect. I believe that being a worrier and starting puberty would worsen his psoriasis and I am hoping that the right nutrition would help. Any advice / support welcome. Thank you in advance 😊

Posted Sat 27 Feb 2021 16.36 by scarletsmummy

the dermatologist is correct in saying there is no scientific evidence on these treatments ( if they worked long term they would be available on the NHS ) I am afraid there is no magic wand and one thing that works for one person may not work for the next and none of them are long term solutions. I have had it for 30 years and have tried every lotion and potion under the sun I hope you find something that eases this awful condition They probably stopped the Enistillar because its a steroid and thins the skin with prolonged use You are very fortunate with having a good GP and i suggest you use him to his max they will try different things and hopefully one day your boy will find some relief

Posted Sun 28 Feb 2021 11.44 by bargainlovingmum

Hi Caroline, I'm so sorry you and your son are going through all this. I'm sure you've come across different ideas about psoriasis in recent years - including a belief that psoriasis can be cured long term from within, and the belief that it can't be cured. Over the many years I've had psoriasis, I've changed to believe strongly that it absolutely can be cured from within. Also that it is not a 'skin problem' per se, but that the skin is showing problems that come from inside - especially in relation to the gut. There is a very good book by Dr Pagano about Understanding Psoriasis that is great for parents, too. I really recommend it. I've also recently watched an interesting podcast that is an up-to-date perspective on healing psoriasis effectively and long-term from within: https://drhyman.com/blog/2020/10/16/podcast-hc27/ These techniques are definitely working on my own skin, which had got so bad in recent years and which has been heartbreaking and distressing. Day-by-day I am healing by following these practical ideas. My lesions are fading and shrinking, I hardly itch anymore, and I'm feeling more and more hopeful and well. It is taking months not weeks, so perseverance and determination is key. But if I can do it, anyone can - I've not done this sort of thing before! I wish you and your son all the very, very best and I hope he finds healing soon x

To take part, sign in or register with us