Night sweats

Posted Sat 13 Mar 2021 06.52 by Northerner21 (edited Sat 13 Mar 2021 06.52 by Northerner21)

This is an exact carbon copy of my experience mate, the scaling was so severe and falling off everywhere that my vacuum cleaner would fill to the brim every 2 days and at one point sheets of skin the size of a hand would peel of my body it was horrendous. Its quite heartbreaking thinking someone is out there suffering as badly as I did. I'm a Yorkshire lad too in my 30's. I had the chills really bad from the erythrodermic episodes, I basically had no skin at one point and was red all over looking like id bathed in acid so had no natural insulation. This was back in 2019 around September time. I literally felt like I was in Antarctica and had violent shakes from the cold one night when I was in bed, I thought I was dying but my body was sweating at the same time. I was under the duvet 3 jumpers, 3 pair of joggers to try and keep warm. Mental it was. My heart rate was 125bpm when I was resting, so any activity at all had me feeling out of breath knackered like I was going to keel over. I was a really fit bloke too before all this kicked off working quite a physically demanding job. I then got to your point where I literally couldn't run. I remember been out walking and crossing a road and nearly fell over trying to jump up off the road onto the pavement because a car was coming, I felt like the earths gravity was twice as strong. Turns out its not just your skin that is inflamed but also your blood vessels, possibly sweat glands as well. I really hope you go for a blood test for your vitamin D levels fella, and tell your doctor about me sorting myself out with multivitamins and 10,000 iu vitamin d3. I google searched those ones you said you had taken in the past and saw them for sale at superdrug. They are not strong enough to reverse a vitamin d deficiency. I am slightly concerned that you are on cyclosporin as well because its a strong drug so you're best going through a doctors supervision rather than just experimenting. Good luck buddy, and hang in there.

Posted Sun 14 Mar 2021 09.30 by Northerner21

The lack of strength and energy and feeling weighed down is because of blood vessel inflammation and increased blood pressure as a result I think. When I was eythrodermic I used to monitor my bpm with my Samsung health app on my phone, but you could also measure stress levels which apparently takes a reading of the oxygen levels in your blood. My readings were high stress which means low blood oxygen. My heart was working hard even though my breathing wasn't any heavier so my heart was basisically working hard pumping low oxygenated blood around. I'm not sure how scientific or accurate the phone is but it makes sense to me. I felt like that the week I started taking my vitamin d, and a week after my heartrate was 20bpm lower, the itching was gone and I felt like my energy had returned. Vitamin d takes a week for your body to process it through your kidneys and liver and into the blood. After a month my heart rate had gone from 125bpm to 78bpm and my energy levels were better than before I even got psoriasis, I was sleeping well, waking up fresh without that I don't want to get out of bed, groggy feeling anymore. It's been an absolute miracle for me mate, and I'm praying it will be the same for you. This is a good article about Vitamin D toxicity if you haven't read it already: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-much-vitamin-d-is-too-much#Supplements-101:-Vitamin-D My concern with cyclosporin is that it is an immunosupressant, vitamin D3 is to help the immune system function normally. I have a theory that even if you can get normal vitamin d levels back into your blood, the cyclosporin might stop the positive effects on the immune system? Don't let that worry you though, that's just a theory of mine and could be false, that's why I said talk through it with your doctor. The reason I mentioned it is because you shouldn't give up on the idea of high dosage vitamin d3 if it doesn't work for you this time around. You could always try again at a later date if you come of the cyclosporin and get the cyclosporin out of your system, however long that may take.

Posted Sun 14 Mar 2021 14.18 by Northerner21 (edited Sun 14 Mar 2021 14.23 by Northerner21)

You are welcome but I would be careful with cyclosporin and coming off it, a quick Google search says it can make you ill coming off suddenly and you should discuss with your doctor about it first. I'd recommend you get some multivitamins too have along with vitamin d3, they contain vitamin k2 which helps the body process the vitamin d3, not to mention all the other good stuff in them. I'm making a lifetime habit of vitamins now, eventually I'm going to lower my dose of vitamin d3 to between 2000iu and 4000iu per day. All the best mate, do keep us updated in this thread👍

Posted Tue 23 Mar 2021 01.11 by Northerner21

Hello mate, really happy that you feel like you are improving a bit, keep at it because the changes are exponentially quick over time! I know personally with regards to the itching that went fast with me in a week or 2, but our circumstances are different I suppose in that you were on ciclosporin and I started on the higher dose of vitamin d3 but was also taking the multivitamin at the same time which contains k2 so I'd just be consistent and patient for a bit mate. Cold weather definitely doesn't help the itching because it dries out your skin, I always found moisturising had little effect for me and started using vaseline on dry areas which seemed to work better and got rid of stubborn scales too. I looked at your picture, that's how my skin was with severe plaque psoriasis back in summer 2019, I was possibly already eythrodermic then but never was diagnosed as such by a medical professional. I only knew when autumn 2019 came and I had an eythrodermic reaction, that's when I lost nearly all my skin in sheets and it was bright red like a lobster and I needed hospitalisation but didn't know. Apparently there's a 76% survival rate during an eythrodermic reaction without going to the hospital so I hope you haven't had one of those! Those reactions are very rare. Your tattoo might have been your trigger I'm not sure? As for bones hurting mine always hurt like hell during my condition, back pains, ankle pains shoulder, hip, toes and fingers. All of that is gone now. Your ankles look a bit swollen like mine were, do you notice any swelling? I had swelling all over and even lost my fingerprints when I was bad. I wouldn't worry at all about Vitamin levels when taking multivitamins regardless of what you eat because they're only supplements. The 100% rda is a minimum daily recommendation I think, of course a balanced diet is always best but mine certainly isn't and I feel great now after taking them for months. 10,000au d3 is no where near dangerous levels for periods of 3-4 months from what I've researched, 30,000 is more like toxic levels over that time frame so I'd definitely give the 8000au a go for a minimum of 3 months and then probably half it if/when your skin is clear. Really glad to hear back from you pal, again, give us an update when you can please, or for a chat anytime you need one. It's weird how you mentioned the out of body thing, I've had those as well, and sleep paralysis a few times over the years. I get an email when you reply so its all good 👍 I'd just like to add another thing as well, try and keep up good levels of vitamin d3 and have multivitamins for the rest of your life if you can kick psoriasis with them. They might protect you from other comorbidities associated with psoriasis like chrons disease, diabetes, ms, cancers, the list goes on so make a lifetime of it pal. Cheers

Posted Thu 1 Apr 2021 15.52 by Northerner21 (edited Thu 1 Apr 2021 17.13 by Northerner21)

Hello pal Glad to hear you're getting light therapy and been given the go ahead with the vitamin d3 etc. Just keep at it, I remember my recovery wasn't plain sailing. I had my up and down days with flare ups but I noticed they were getting weaker as time went on. 30 days+ of regimented supplementation and hopefully you will know for sure you're on the right path, fingers crossed for you. As for me I'm still fine. I just use vaseline for dryness on forehead and chest and a bit behind ears and it seems to be getting better. Keep the updates coming mate, cheers and good luck.

Posted Thu 1 Apr 2021 19.38 by Northerner21 (edited Thu 1 Apr 2021 19.47 by Northerner21)

I'd just like to add this mate, you were on ciclosporin I know you mentioned it leaves the body quickly, but it has been suppressing your immune system, that's what it does. When a part of the human body is recovering it does take time. Keep it up and have faith. When you start noticing the skin responding and feeling elevated in other ways like more energy and your legs not hurting as much, it has a knock on effect I believe and gives you mental strength... dopamine if you will. The power of the mind is great for anyone who has gone through this severely. I also think it takes some courage to go and get uvb treatment so my hat is off to you, I was offered light therapy but didn't have the mental strength for it. By not having the mental strength I mean that before I first saw a dermatologist I had done a lot of research on drugs to treat psoriasis, the one thing I hoped for was that they would put me on a biologic like stelara as soon as I Stripped off and they saw the state I was in... I was wrong, my choices were uvb therapy or methotrexate. I knew the uvb was the safer option but only temporary, and the whole day made me realise I was now in the system and would have to suffer longer before I got on biologics, it really knocked the wind out of my sails. Keep going pal it inspires people who know what psoriasis is like to live with.

Posted Wed 7 Apr 2021 12.12 by Northerner21

Sounds like it's working definitely with the fading and itching subsiding a bit. The real leap forwards are on a monthly basis when the body is supposed to make new skin naturally. The palms and soles are a different psoriasis than eythrodemia, that is palmoplantar psoriasis. I've had it all except guttate! I've not heard of alcoholic hepatitis before, I've been a heavy drinker for 10 years. I'm quitting it now tho, I've got back into work again now so going to make the most of it. Feel like I've been given a chance at life again so going to take it! Keep going pal and good luck.

Posted Thu 15 Apr 2021 17.09 by Northerner21

Hello bud, hope you're well. It's weird isn't it psoriasis how areas can be improving while others seem to get worse! I hope you're still on with your supplements and light therapy? Remember it's early days mate and the key is sticking with it for a few months 👍 I've got my forehead clear right now and has been for 5 days or so. Found some dovabet which is a steroid paraffin based stuff I think. Was hesitant to apply it because its about 3 years old but put it on twice and foreheads been clear since, we'll see. As for the drinking, I drank a litre of Vodka Monday night at home which is par for the course for me over the last 10 years. I'd binge drink once, twice or sometimes 3 times a week over that period. I really want to quit now though mate and I've decided I do need help with it, but in my own way... so I've joined a reddit community: r/alcoholism and reading other people's stories and rants does help. Downloaded a great app for my phone as well yesterday called 'I am sober' where you can track your progress, days sober, money saved etc and see other people on the journey with you at the same stage, I need that motivation. All the drinking, losing friends, family, and 2 girlfriends, losing my business and then all the health stuff on top, most people would have thrown the towel in, and I have to be fair. But I'm going to have a real go now at getting my shit together, life is too short isn't it pal. Keep going with your treatments, you've got this mate!

Posted Fri 23 Apr 2021 00.42 by Northerner21 (edited Fri 23 Apr 2021 00.43 by Northerner21)

Great to hear you are making progress 👍 I honestly believe the information about Vitamin D3 is suppressed by the big pharmaceutical industry, I wouldn't be surprised if its them who fund most of the pathetic studies where they have people taking 400-1000iu per day. I don't blame doctors or dermatologists, they can only provide the care they are taught. We've seen the same thing with Covid19, in Spain they introduced high dose vitamin D3 to their citizens and saw a major drop off in cases, serious complications and deaths... but not a peep out of the media about it. I've been sober for 10 days now and things in life are improving, slowly but surely. I even did some repairs on the flat today and did some gardening. Been going for walks to get fit again for when I start running my business again. Thanks for the update, sounds really promising and glad that itching is calming down for you. Keep it up mate.

Posted Sat 19 Jun 2021 03.22 by Mary1968

Northerner21 Good point you make there. Taking Vitamin D3 of 400 - 1000 IU per day - is far too low. Starting point should at least be 1000 IU. Binge or heavy drinking does make people deficient in Vitamins A, B, C & D, Zinc, Magnesium, Potassium, Calcium, Iron, etc..... so supplementing with them is excellent if you are a heavy drinker, regardless. It has been shown that people with psoriasis are chronically low in Vitamin D and Zinc to begin with anyway. I have read some reports where low Vitamin D levels have found to impact negatively with Covid cases. Not much in the mainstream media about it though. I cannot remember exactly (as it was over 10 years ago now), but whilst I was clearing from psoriasis, I think I was taking around 6000 IU daily. Cut that back to 1000 IU maintenance once cleared.

To take part, sign in or register with us