Newly diagnosed ‘small plaque’ psoriasis....has anyone treated using diet alone?

Posted Sat 24 Apr 2021 05.46 by Bobbinandbuggins

Hi all, Brand new here, brand new to the world of psoriasis and wow, I’m scared! My psoriasis came on suddenly Oct 2019, 3 months after having my son and after having a very sore throat. It kinda went away last summer but came back with a vengeance last Oct/nov and got really bad after having covid 😭 I’ve been using enstilar but that stopped working and so off to a dermatologist I went. That was yesterday...I thought she was going to prescribe a stronger steroid cream but no, she starts talking about cyclosporine, methotrexate, and the vitamin a derivative one. Serious breakdown in her office as I just didn’t expect to be offered such heavy hitting meds. The thought of taking them is too scary for me to contemplate at the mo. When I tried to discuss dietary or holistic treatments she was very dismissive but I truly believe that I need to treat the cause of this psoriasis. I would love to hear your good news stories about treating psoriasis this way. I’m following the Hannah Sillitoe books, although not quite to the letter but I am sure my arms are improving....this could also be sunlight related. What does healing psoriasis look like?! 🤔 No horror stories please, my fragile emotional state can’t quite cope with them at the moment!

1 Posted Sat 24 Apr 2021 08.46 by Northerner21

Hi there, I'm so sorry it's affecting your mental state, definitely know how that feels. I'm totally with you, I dont believe these medications that suppress the immune system like methotrexate and cyclosporin are the answer at all. Sounds like you may have had strep throat, a very common trigger to develop psoriasis. If you really want to go down the diet route then be prepared to stick it out for a couple of months before your body reaps the rewards, as for which diet would be best for YOU personally, its hard to say. I've heard so many diet stories of people getting success with different diets, vegan, keto intermittent fasting, cutting out certain foods like dairy, gluten etc. Its really about experimenting with it and seeing if you can find something that works over time, patience is key. For me personally my savior was Vitamin d3 supplementation along with a multivitamin and a cod liver oil every day. The vitamin d3 I took was a high dose (10,000iu) which I bought from a company called nu u nutrition. £14.95 for 365 soft gel capsules, the multivitamin+cod liver oil supplements were tescos own brand, about £6 for 90 capsules. It took 2-3 months for my psoriasis to go into remission and I am now free of it after being covered head to toe. As the skin heals you will notice less aggressive scaling and itching first. I am white so my skin turned pink where the psoriasis was, that too is now fading with the nice weather we have had. All the best.

Posted Sat 24 Apr 2021 14.32 by Moggy1

I am newly diagnosed with PPP which has shocked me to the core . Had never heard of it before I got it honestly thought the blisters were being caused by using sanitiser as I started getting very small ones soon after I had covid and started using sanitiser all the time as I work with the public. Like you the creams bethamethasone worked at first but came back worse than before when I stopped using it. I was lucky could see a dermatologist privately have more cream which cleared it but not totally as one area cleared another one appeared. Dermatologist said I need phototherapy but not offered in my area privately so referred to NHS dermatologist possible 18 week wait just to see them☹️ I have very reluctantly as I am desperate for a bit of normally with my hand to take acitretin 10mg daily and are hoping the cure is not worse than the disease as I wait for phototherapy. Ask you dermatologist about phototherapy Try stay positive and most importantly do what feels right for you.

Posted Sat 5 Jun 2021 07.26 by Mary1968

Hello Bobbinandbuggins What a great username :) I have heard of psoriasis being triggered by a sore or strep throat. I believe it is extremely common from what I have read over the years. Psoriasis is also related to stress, so I wonder if it coming on three months after having your son, is a stress connection? Not suggesting having your son was a stress, but sometimes lack of sleep or having issues with breastfeeding, can cause underlying stress. Medical doctors and dermatologists are extremely dismissive of dietary and holistic treatments. If you want to take that route, then you are pretty much on your own, until you can find a naturopath or herbalist who has had success with treating psoriasis. I had chronically bad psoriasis coverage pretty much continually for 40 years. It was heredity for me, but certainly things like stress, certain foods, feeling rundown, winter, chlorine swimming pools, etc... impacted negatively. I cleared with diet and supplements. Been managing like that for around 13 years now. Doctor told me neither would work. He was wrong. Given you are so scared, and coming from a place of fear, I suggest trying the drug route for now. Once you are feeling stronger in mind and spirit, maybe then try the diet and supplement route thereafter if the drugs don't benefit. Here is hoping you find something that works long term for you Good luck

Posted Sat 10 Jul 2021 02.11 by Angry

Northerner21 You are not a doctor you should not gave advice to people that biogical do not work.

Posted Sat 10 Jul 2021 13.03 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Angry: in another thread YOU advise someone that certain treatments "do not work", and only biologicals should be considered. It should be recognised and accepted that with psoriasis it seems that no particular treatments work uniformly for everyone. What gives excellent results for one person might give no discernible improvement for another.

3 Posted Sun 11 Jul 2021 03.18 by Angry

Oh my god who hell I are you oh no not again, there is no cure for psoriasis so listen to what I am saying not what you think I am saying. Cream and light therapy help you mange the symptoms if your body is less the 10% covered in psoriasis and it does not effect your life cream and light therapy might be best for you but if it is effecting your life and the cream and light therapy not working biogical is the next thing, not wasting your money on some miracle treatment. End of story.

Posted Thu 22 Jul 2021 18.32 by Spotty Maldoon
75 year old teenager with an angry elbow

I’m 75 never had it until after my second COVID jab. Psoriasis not found in three generations in my family. A well constructed and varied diet. In comfortable retirement….err what is stress? Psoriasis is just another autoimmune issue to add to my Coeliac disease status..

Posted Sun 22 Aug 2021 11.17 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Mon 23 Aug 2021 12.15 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

Nana, Boric acid is toxic and should never be taken internally. Borax ingested in small amounts can cause vomitting and diarrhea, and is very toxic in larger amounts. Note: this comment was in response to a post recommending to drink boric acid or borax solutions, and also to treat psoriasis plaques topically with the same. The post seems to have been removed by the Psoriasis Association.

Posted Sun 22 Aug 2021 12.36 by Spotty Maldoon
75 year old teenager with an angry elbow

OhNo_ Is correct as little as 10g, sat two teaspoonfuls is enough to put a small person into their coffin (and they’ll need very little embalming fluid). That said it’s a known skin irritant especially to reactive skins…like psoriasis.?

Posted Wed 25 Aug 2021 19.32 by Jazz

hey guys, I actually went on a full diet that was created for psoraisis by Dr.Pagano. its not easy, but it really is manageable. I have scalp psoraisis specifically, and I followed all his treatments, (the vitamins are VERY important) and it started clearing in 4 months, and by the time i hit 6-8 months, it was totally gone. I wouldn't recommend diets alone, especially for cases where it has spread all over the body, but diet does play a huge role in psoriasis, and overall health. It did work for me, but part of diet is taking alot of supplements and vitamins, and its not cheap. I will say that granular lecithin, while tasting absolutely disgusting, seems to work wonders for psorasis.

Posted Sun 29 Aug 2021 21.32 by HCJ

Regular moisturiser two to three times a day has worked wonders for my plaque psoriasis which I have had for over thirty years. I have tried numerous other therapies over the years but have really benefitted from speaking to a dermatologist and heavily moisturising with dermal 500 / hydromol emollient and daily dovobet on plaques. Sounds simple but really does work.

To take part, sign in or register with us