Help please- severe scalp

Posted Sat 24 Apr 2021 22.18 by Katie1610

I’m 22, only just started getting psoriasis, it’s all over however I’m most worried about my scalp, I’ve tried enstillar and Tgel shampoo but nothing is working :( my self confidence is at an all time low!! Any recommendations on what to try next? It’s just getting worse :(

Posted Sun 25 Apr 2021 06.08 by scarletsmummy

I honestly feel for you Katie as I have had Psoriasis in my scalp for nearly 30 years and it was my worst effected area ,I had tried everything and was at my wits end and 3 months ago in desperation i called my Doctor and said apart from sitting with a pair of scissors on scratching my scalp till it bleeds I NEED HELP and for the first time in years he listened .He n gave me a lotion called Elocon ( Elocon® 0.1% w/w Scalp Lotion Mometasone furoate) it comes in a small bottle 30ml and i applied it everynight before bed within 3 weeks my scalp is virtually clear and i just dab it onto a few spot now ask your doctor if you can try it , don't suffer in silence make them listen to you otherwise they will continue to give you stuff that does not work Good luck x

Posted Sun 25 Apr 2021 10.06 by Katie1610

Hi, thank you so much! It’s nice having someone who gets it. I’ve been to the doctors 3 times and they just keep saying yes is psoriasis here’s enstillar no matter how many times I say it’s not working and getting worse. But thank you I will go back and try and get the same thing. I’m so glad you have found something that is finally working :) xx

Posted Sun 13 Jun 2021 10.17 by Jean (edited Sun 13 Jun 2021 11.13 by Jean)

Hi, I'm new to the forums but it's very reassuring to read others with same experiences. I also have scalp psoriasis for the last 17 years. I have it under control at the moment, I use cocois ointment once a week. It stinks of coal tar but it works. I cover my scalp in it and sleep with it on. Cover pillow with dark towel!! I also do the same once a week with coconut oil to try to keep scalp moisturised. Lastly, I use Polytar shampoo once a week. I find stress brings on flare ups but in general I'm so much better than I was. I hope this helps. My doctor did listen when I was almost in tears. I agree with scarletsmummy, you need someone to listen and the impact it has, it's very painful at times (bleeding and scabs) so keep at it until you are getting somewhere. Good luck xx P. S. Forgpt to say that I changed my normal shampoo to moogoo, it's very gentle and I can only assume it's part of what's helping me at the moment.

Posted Sun 13 Jun 2021 10.43 by Mary1968 (edited Sun 13 Jun 2021 23.57 by Mary1968)

:( Scalp psoriasis is the absolute pits Diet and supplements cleared me. After I cleared on my body and face, the scalp psoriasis was the last to clear up - so very stubborn. If you don't want to do the diet route (nobody does!) - I would at suggest supplementing with Vitamin D3, Fish Oil and Zinc for at least six months. These supplements are helping to improve psoriasis for many people. Best go to your local health food store and speak with the resident Naturopath, in regards to good brands and dosages. In the meantime, before bed, you could apply a cold pressed (not deodorized) oil to the scalp - coconut oil or hemp seed oil or olive oil or jojoba oil or avocado oil. Then gently wash out in the morning. Use an old pillow case to lay on, as hard to get oils out of linens. I use to find that hair dyes and chemical based shampoos (that contain perfume, sodium lauryl sulfate, mineral oil, parabens, artificial colours, or alcohol) use to really irritate scalp psoriasis. So maybe find gentler products to wash your hair with, and specifically avoid dyes, mouse, hair gel and hair sprays. Even now I use a vegan brand called A Bit Hippy Serene Scalp shampoo, because anything else tends to irritate Coal tar based shampoos never worked for me, and I am now unhappy that I used it at all.

Posted Sun 13 Jun 2021 23.45 by Angry

To get rid of psoriasis from your scalp and fore head use medication Enstilar 50 microgram/g +0.5 cutaneous foam calciptriol/betamethasone on your scalp like shampoo and go in to a steam room for 7 mins to that 3 times a week and it should clear up. It also helps to keep your hair short so it's easier to manage and also sun light can shine on your scalp.

Posted Sun 13 Jun 2021 23.52 by Angry

Steam room are very good at getting rid of flaky skin and dead skin as well and they open up your pours to get rid of old oils, dirt and old medicines trap on your skin. After you been in a steam room have a cold shower it feels wonderful after you moisturise your body.

Posted Mon 14 Jun 2021 00.01 by Angry

Try Enstilar 50 micrograms/g+0.5/g cutaneous foam calcipotriol/betamethasone before your spray the medicine all around your scalp get a hair cut like number 1 all over and then spray the Enstilar and with the medicine go in to a steam room and stay in their for 7 mins to that 3 times a week for 1 week should see some goog results.

Posted Tue 22 Jun 2021 22.07 by V62

If your psoriasis has just started and it’s all over you should ask your GP to refer you to a dermatologist. That way long term you should get the best treatment. I have used cocois and Alphosyl 2-In-1 Medicated Shampoo sometimes.

Posted Thu 5 Aug 2021 15.47 by Lynsey

I hear you all ! I have had scalp & body psoriasis for 37 years the cocois scalp ointment is very good does keep it away when used as instructed. I only use now if my scalp psoriasis is really bad. Prefer to use natural & organic treatments I do dread to think what's in alot of prescribed medications ! I am always experimenting with different carrier & essential oils currently I am applying organic coconut oil mixed with hemp seed oil with lavender, geranium, ginger an tea tree organic essential oils. Great for conditioning hair too, you may not need a conditioner after washing (especially shorter hair) . I warm up gently in hot water and use a squeezie bottle with a nozzle to apply to scalp, leave on over night. Have had less build up since using this method but it can be tricky to wash out I only have fine hair but it's long use cool water. (I only use organic or natural shampoo & conditioner now, but still looking for the perfect one ! Hope this may help xx

Posted Fri 10 Sep 2021 17.53 by Hamilton

Hi Katie, Please see the reply I sent to Niles in the forum today about scalp treatment. Regards, Hamilton

Posted Sat 11 Sep 2021 22.40 by EmmaB

My daughter started her psoriasis journey at 14. Now 17 we have tried numerous products, prescriptions through GP and dermatology. Some work for a little time but never clears. Her scalp was by far the worst although she has it pretty much all over. During the first lockdown we used enstilar. Her hair was greasy for about 6 weeks with it but it did clear it. Sadly when we stopped using it just came back. Enstilar is good for a blasting but you couldn’t go about with your hair that greasy all the time. We’ve also tried the scalp treatments via dermatologist these made little improvement. Best so far was surprisingly goats milk shampoo bars. She uses these most washes and it’s made a huge difference to how thick her scalp psoriasis was. It’s still very dry and she gets very red round her ears back of neck forehead and inside her ears etc but it’s reduced the thickness of the plaques. It’s a constant battle. We have also just started with vitamin D3 to see if that will help a little. Phoning dermatologist on Monday for further advice as would like to get her in for light treatment at some point as heard good reviews.

Posted Tue 15 Feb 2022 18.44 by Maggie78

@EmmaB - Which goats milk shampoo bars do you use? I've got a bad case of Scalp P…. Dermatologist prescribed clobetasol propionate and use of TGel and TSal but the scalp feels very itchy and dry from the constant washing with Tgel, Tsal and steroid use.. so was hoping to find something that could help.

Posted Mon 21 Feb 2022 20.00 by Penny

Hi Katie. I have had quite bad psoriasis for the past few years: on my arms, legs, trunk and also (like you) my scalp. I tried proscription steroid creams and changing shampoo / soap to a more gentle brand, but neither really worked for me. My (recent) break-through moment was cutting both gluten and sugar right down in my diet. (The combination of both seems to be significant: I had tried to cut back on gluten already which had helped a bit, but was still very much consuming sugar!) I don't know the science behind this, and I don't know if it would work for everyone, but it really has made quite a dramatic difference for me. After no more than a month of my 'no sugar / no gluten' regime, the psoriasis on my scalp and arms has almost disappeared, and the remaining psoriasis is also but less inflamed than it was. I do miss munching on a chocolate bar after a hard day at work or having a cake with a cup of coffee, but overall it seems a small price to pay and I would recommend giving it a go. I still eat natural sugar (e.g. that found in fruit) and will occasionally eat small amounts of products like jam or granola, so I can't claim to be completely and utterly sugar-free, but I think reducing the amount of sugar that I consume and cutting out gluten has really made a difference. Anyway, I really hope you find something that helps and works for you :-)

To take part, sign in or register with us