Dovobet not working

Posted Wed 5 May 2021 14.46 by Sjhtattoo

So I have plaque psoriasis on my elbows and knees, which has been growing. I’ve now also started getting guttate psoriasis which is spreading up my arms and legs. These spots started as a couple of little marks, a couple of millimetres large, now I have them all over and some are almost an inch in size now, looks like chicken pox and has crushed my confidence! I’ve been on a mix of dovobet and dovonex as well as an intense moisturiser for the last 4 months and it’s had no effect! I’m going to go back to the doctors, what generally would be the next step when these treatments fail? Does anyone have any ideas which may be able to help? I’ve tried various moisturisers, exfoliating, coconut oil, I’ve cut out alcohol and tried eating a mad amount of blueberries!

Posted Wed 5 May 2021 15.06 by scarletsmummy

Dovobet has never worked for me ever ,I now use a cream called Calcopotrioil/Betamethasone ointment which is the only thing that keeps my knees and elbows clear and the spotty plaques on my legs . ask the doctor if you can try this . I think the trouble with general doctors they straight away prescibe dovobet/Dovonex both of which have had no effect on my psoriasis for the last 30 years .Good luck

Posted Wed 5 May 2021 17.37 by Sjhtattoo

Thank you so much! I’ll definitely ask about that when I go! ☺️

1 Posted Thu 6 May 2021 06.30 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Sat 8 May 2021 15.35 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

Dovobet IS betamethasone plus calcipotriol. Betamethasone is a steroid, and calcipotriol is a vitaminD analogue. Dovobet contains betamethasone dipropionate 500 microgram per 1 gram, and calcipotriol 50 microgram per gram. Dovonex is simply calcipotriol with no steroid component. Just for completeness: Enstilar foam contains the same two ingredients as in Dovobet.

1 Posted Thu 6 May 2021 06.38 by scarletsmummy

i was clearly pointing out that the Dovobet did not work for me and obviously the cream with calcipotriol as an ingredient DID work . there was absolutely no need to make your post like a reprimand unless of course you are a medical expert " just for completeness "

1 Posted Thu 6 May 2021 08.50 by OhNo_NotAgain?

scarletsmummy: I was pointing out that Dovobet IS betamethasone/calcipotriol. You still seem to have missed that point. Dovobet does have calcipotriol. My post was not meant to be taken as a reprimand, I have a scientific/engineering backgound and after 40 years of working I tend to write in a matter-of-fact way, perhaps you are a little sensitive. I added the point about Enstilar because many posters here do not always realise that it has the same active ingredients as Dovobet, but in some cases it seems more effective for some users (and is easier to use on the scalp for example). Perhaps there is a difference in consistency or preparation between the Dovobet you used previously and the betamethasone/calcipotriol that you now use and that would be interesting to know (eg one a transluscent gel/ointment and the other a cream?) but they do have the SAME active ingredients.

2 Posted Thu 6 May 2021 08.54 by scarletsmummy

i am no way sensitive but your post was worded in a " putting down way " and believe me you are no better than me

Posted Thu 6 May 2021 09.22 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Mon 24 May 2021 17.34 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

scarletsmummy: i have neither suggested nor thought for a moment that I am better than you. It seems strange to me that you have taken this from my posts. Just keep in mind that Dovobet IS betamethasone/calcipotriol. Why one treatment does not work for you and the other does is not obvious. When you say " Dovobet did not work for me and obviously the cream with calcipotriol as an ingredient DID work . " you are missing the point that Dovobet DOES contain calcipotriol, in exactly the same concentration as the cream you use.

1 Posted Thu 6 May 2021 18.50 by mt382

I second that OhNo_notagain. It might seem harmless not to correct misleading comments (it certainly reduces the risk of offence, as has happened above) but for someone scared, new to psoriasis, telling them to try the same medicine gives false hope and then prevents them seeking the next level of treatment available. Not a dig - just an agreement that correcting where it’s due helps everyone to learn and grow and provides positive advice :)

Posted Mon 24 May 2021 11.57 by twiggy3

Agreed. I think they were simply trying to clarify your misunderstanding about what the Dovobet is and isn't, which in-turn can only help you in the long run

Posted Sat 5 Jun 2021 05.06 by Mary1968

Oh dear It is a real bugger finding something that works. Even worse, sometimes you find something that works, and then stops working. Dovobet never worked for me. I have lost count of the numerous things I have tired that didn't work. I know it is annoying, and can be expensive and frustrating, but really the ONLY thing you can do is keep trying different things, until you hit upon something that helps. OK so NOT the best advice I know, but what else can you do...... apart from give up trying. It took me nearly 40 years of trying different things, to find something that worked long term (diet and supplements works for me) and I dread to think how much money I wasted in those 40 years. But I never gave up. I use a lot of herbals, and there are quite a few herbs that that can benefit psoriasis clearing, plus they have the added benefit of being natural. I turned to them after steroid-based creams thinned my skin after years of use on psoriasis patches. Sorry if my advice of "not giving up and keep trying" is pretty useless to you. But it is the only thing I can suggest. Good luck

Posted Tue 6 Jul 2021 05.35 by Angry

On no not _again is right they are the same medicine. If cream is not working for you then try uvb light therapy if that does not work biogical drugs are next and yes enslier form is great for head scalp psoriasis. On that point no not_again know what they talking about.

Posted Sun 18 Dec 2022 10.43 by Mick1970

Late addition to this post I know but to add my personal experience. Dovobet gel did not help with my large patches which appeared first so I didn’t use it on new spots. I ended up getting UV treatment which gave me 90% clearance but spots started appearing almost immediately. I found that if dovobet was applied early it kept some (not all) at bay. A few weeks ago I was prescriver Enstilar which managed to nearly clear my long standing shin and elbow patches . So even though it has the same ingredients, some element of it makes it more effective . Unfortunately the postscript to this is you can only take it for 4 weeks and after that my psoriasis got rapidly worse, back to where it was before plus a lot of new spots on my torso which previously had been unaffected . Could be reaction to coming off steroids, could be this British winter cold snap. Or something else. Looks like another UV dose is on the cards…

Posted Sun 18 Dec 2022 11.17 by Sjhtattoo

So, after no luck with dovobet, was perceived enstillar and still no luck. By this point my psoriasis covered my legs, arms back, head and buttocks. Was then prescribed diprosalic, which although mostly stopped the spread, didn’t reduce it at all. It was covering so much of my body I was getting through a tube a week, and still had over 3 months left until my nhs referral appointment (18 month wait in total) I decided all the steroids couldn’t be good for me so I cut them off and just started using imuderm (moisturiser) 3 months later my skin was practically clear, aside from a few small patches! (Just in time for my nhs appointment, they probably wondered what all the fuss was about!) Fast forward to now, i moisturise every day and only have a couple of small patches left on my knees and elbows, I’m confident these would have faded too if summer had lasted a little longer! I have no idea what caused it to fade but so grateful! Don’t give up hope!

Posted Thu 29 Dec 2022 21.47 by Darren Cheshire

Hi, I stopped using dovobet as it was thinning my skin on the shins too much. I’ve had psoriasis for 12 years on lower legs, elbows and hands. I had a session on Acerterin which worked wonders and after that reset I now only use factor 30 sun cream once a day and after 6 months I can only say it’s 99% gone, no plaques just mild redness. I’m not one for the internet or commenting on forums but I felt the need to share this. Give it a go, cake it on, and all the best.

To take part, sign in or register with us