Psoriasis and dating

Posted Wed 2 Jun 2021 19.03 by Bubs

I am a 57 yr old woman that has had P on and off for 30 years or more. In the last 8-10 months it has spread from just my knees, elbows and scalp to literally everywhere. I am covered. I think the only part of me not affected by it is the soles of my feet and my palms. The thing is, it gets me down so much. I suffer with mental health issues anyway so I find it hard to believe that anyone would want to date me as whenever I move, I leave a pile of dead skin behind. I feel like a leper.

Posted Thu 3 Jun 2021 15.31 by Chez

Hi Bubs I've recently been diagnosed with Psoriasis and have it all over my arms, legs, stomach and behind my ears. I'm still trying to come to terms with it and trying different lotions and potions etc. I know exactly how you feel with the dead skin falling everywhere and the itchiness and soreness. I'm keeping a positive mindset as to finding something that actually works but right now, I too don't feel too great. I hope you start to feel better in yourself and I know it helps me to know that I am not the only one who feels like this.

Posted Thu 3 Jun 2021 17.27 by Bubs

Hi Chez Thank you for replying. That in itself is a great boost, so thank you for taking the time to do so. I get good days and bad days like everyone does and I try to stay positive but sometimes when I get the pain with it too, it just makes it so much worse. Have you tried Enstilar from your doctor? It's a spray foam but I find there is a sort of greasy over-spray. I'm forever cleaning my bedside table etc. Or Cetraben? That's a moisturiser and it seems to work better than the spray foam for me. Also my Vitamin D levels were very low so I've had to start taking suppliments. I've just had a blood test yesterday to check it again so I'll see what's happening there when I get the results. Anyway, I do hope you find something that works for you. I know there are lots lotions and potions to try to manage this. Stay positive Best wishes Bubs

Posted Thu 3 Jun 2021 23.30 by Yacht

The typical, four-step process for treating psoriasis is: 1. Mild = creams 2. Medium = UVB light 3. Bad = pills 4. Severe = injections (biologics) If someone is "covered" in psoriasis, they are usually at step 2, 3, or 4. A derm (doctor), who treats skin every day, will be able to advise and take action. Modern treatments have improved a lot in recent years. For example, some studies suggest Skyrizi (biologic injection) will give a 75% chance of 90% psoriasis clearance. There is hope out there.

Posted Thu 3 Jun 2021 23.52 by Bubs

Hi Yacht, I have seen a dermatologist already for an assessment and have an appointment at the end of August to discuss the next step which is either light treatment or Methotrexate. I have researched both and still can't make up my mind which route to take.

Posted Fri 4 Jun 2021 10.47 by Chez

Hi Bubs and Yacht Thank you both for your replies. I'm currently using Enstilar, Epimax and Dermol 500. Also taking vitamin D. It has helped slightly however, have noticed another flare up in the last week. Have got a review with my doctor next week though. Staying positive in meantime.

1 Posted Fri 4 Jun 2021 15.40 by Yacht

Based on some available studies: * Oral methotrexate (tablet) gives a 9% chance of 90% psoriasis clearance (PASI 90). * UVB light gives a 65-89% chance of 90% psoriasis clearance (PASI 90). In other words, UVB phototherapy gives roughly 7 to 10 times more chance of clearance than MTX tablets. Keep in mind, however, that psoriasis often (but not always) returns when the UVB or MTX stop. Some people, for example, buy a home UVB canopy to keep their phototherapy "topped up" after the hospital course. Beware of burning, etc. As always, the derm can advise, etc. Good luck.

Posted Thu 17 Jun 2021 09.22 by Psoriais101

Bubs I know how you feel, however I can say that any partner I’ve had, it hasn’t bothered them. They only cared about it for my sake. If someone is going to be judgemental - they aren’t worth your time anyway. It’s a skin condition you didn’t ask to have or choose as part of your lifestyle. I know how horrible it feels as I won’t take my shirt off with the other half after a year, as much as it doesn’t bother them! I say all the time I feel like a leper too lol. Just remember it’s your personality someone should love and want you for, so don’t sell yourself short.

Posted Thu 17 Jun 2021 18.19 by Bubs

Psoriasis101. Thank you for your lovely comments. I've never had much confidence in myself, it comes from 38 years in a coercive marriage but I'm out of that now and divorced. It's tough on my own but I'm trying to stay positive and rebuild a life for myself. Hope all goes well with your partner.

Posted Thu 27 Jan 2022 22.04 by chiquay
I have had psoraisis for 2 years. I am a 52 year old man. It started with a few odd spots on my scalp and has spread to my body.

Photo therapy works, problem is travelling to the hospital 3 times per week for 6 weeks. Ensillar cutaneous foam helps, but it is a steroid and weakens the skin. I.E, you will end up bleeding after a scratch. Enskillar tablets I took servere reaction too (side effects) . I have had severe P for 7 years. The only time I actually got clear, was when I was in Madagascar for 3 months, Swimming in the sea in sunshine! It came back immediately (within 2 weeks) on my return. It is very difficult to deal with, but 10) we get on with it.. Maintain hope - but I would give the phototherapy a go. I bought a sunbed - the bulbs are £79 each (x 10) for UVB lamps. We shall see how that goes. The Skillarence was a hope - but it made me violently ill for 3 days. Good luck, and keep smiling. :)

Posted Fri 28 Jan 2022 12.48 by lizziep (edited Fri 28 Jan 2022 12.53 by lizziep)

Hi Chiquay - re the skilirence - have you had to give it up? I think I was very lucky that it worked so brilliantly - the Consultant did say not everyone could tolerate it. I still have a 5 month supply I cant decide whether or not to restart (under supervision) because of COVID. The consultant did tell me it might not be so successful a second time, so really don't know what to do However, as I was referred back last April and have been told it will be at least this April beef I"m seen, I haven't had to make the decision yet.

To take part, sign in or register with us