Possible genital psoriasis? Too scared to go to GP?

Posted Tue 8 Jun 2021 20.18 by Watermelonsuga

Hi everyone I am new here - sorry if this is not the right place to post this but I am just looking for some help and advice. I have psoriasis on my scalp and previously had flare ups on my stomach but nothing recently. Through lockdown, the psoriasis on my scalp has became a lot worse and really painful, however, in January time I noticed (what looks like) genital psoriasis on my vagina and anal area, even towards my lower back, this is causing me massive problems in my day to day life as it is painful, itchy and really embarrassing. I am 25 years old, female and extremely anxious about going to the GP about this , I’ve put off my smear due to this as I’m really worried about judgement from the Gp/nurse. I think it’s extremely likely they’ll initially assume this is some type of STD, and I just really want some support and treatment but not sure how to go about this or how to get support? I don’t know if anyone else has been in a similar position or could offer me advice with this? I have recently been using doublebase which has been slightly soothing but no improvement at all to what’s actually happening. I live in the UK so I couldn’t go to a dermatologist without going to my GP, as I can’t afford to do this privately. I feel so embarrassed about seeking treatment about this but also know it’s going to be the only way it gets better! I don’t have anyone personally I feel comfortable sharing with to ask for support or guidance about it all either. Has anyone else been through something similar or could offer me any advice about going through GP for this? Thanks so much and apologises again if this isn’t the right forum.

Posted Tue 8 Jun 2021 20.42 by SharonG

@Watermelonsuga Hi You really need to see your GP - to make sure - could you request to see a female GP maybe? You must not feel embarrassed about anything at all but you do need to get it checked out ok? So sorry that you are suffering but please do not suffer in silence there are medications to help. I personally have not experienced this area of 'p' but I have heard of it so get yourself checked out. Take care of yourself.

Posted Wed 9 Jun 2021 10.23 by OhNo_NotAgain?

Hi Watermelonsuga, I am now in my 60s, but all my life I have been very pragmatic about medical conditions and never hesitated to see a doctor of any gender if I suspected a problem in that area. I found the best treatment for me was based on Trimovate (it is not a magic treatment, but was for me - I only tell you in case your doctor mentions it). But in addition to proriasis it is possible to develop fungal or even allergic reactions in that area. 26 years ago I developed extremely red and itching skin around the anus and between my buttocks - it did not respond to anti fungal. I had seen doctors in UK, Abu Dhabi (wher I lived and worked at that time) and then a Doctor while on Holoday in Cnada.and on the advice of a general doctor I went to while on holiday in Canada. He advised to stop using coloured toilet paper, use white only. He advised to stop washing my back-passage region with soaps, only E45 shower-cream (even on a couple of sheets of toilet paper). It cured the condition I had suffered with for over 12 months. (the doctor postulated that I had developed a sensitivity almost an allegic reaction or dermatitis response to my own faeces. The more I washed, wiped, applied ointments to reduce the itching, the more I irritated the skin). When I followed his advice my condition improved in days and cleared completely in 1-2 weeks. That was 1994, I still follow the regimen and it has never returned. I also used to get recurring rash in my groin, it responded buy did not clear with anti-fungal, and responded but not clear with mild steroid. I think it is a combination of fungal and inverse psoriasis. I used to get it recurring about every 6-7 weeks. Trimovate would shift it. I now dry my feet and between my toes after a shower with paper-towel (kitchen roll) and not a regular towel, and same for my groin. If you do have athletes foot, a bath towel is a good way to spread it. I then apply a mildly medicated anti-fungal powder to ensure the area is dry - I have not had a recurrance for over 15 months. For YOU - you COULD go to your local Sexual Health Clinic, and they could put your mind at rest regarding any possible STI. It would be completely confidential and no referral needed from your GP Practice. Just look them up on the internet for your area. THEN make an appointment with your doctor and if need be ask for a female GP or a female Nurse as a chaperone for the appointment. You can simply tell the receptionist it is for an problem in an intimate area or of an intimate nature . . . they do not need full details. When you meet the Doctor you can even start the conversation with a confident " I know it is not an STI as I have been seen at the sexual Health clinic already" They keep renaming these clinics - in 70s they were "special clinics", more recently GUM (genito-urinary medicine) and some may still be called that, and in my city now "sexual health". 10 years ago I went to my GP with some apparent warts or sebaceous cysts on the outer skin of my genitals, nowhere especially intimate. The doctor immediately referred me to the sexual health clinic as he said "they are far more familiar with all possible conditions in this area than a GP". I was treated and fine afterwards. Then 5 months ago I noticed a small growth on my skin close to, but not on, my scrotum. I phoned the local sexual health clinic and they immediately made an appointment for me. A few days later I saw a male doctor with a female junior doctor, they confirmed I had a wart and of a type probably not sexually transmitted. But they applied CO2 to cauterize it and gave me ointment to use for a period. BUT they reaffirmed that they are there to deal with conditions on that part of the body, and not merely STIs. However you manage to do it, you MUST see a doctor. THis sort of condition gets you down, especially if it itches all night and wakes you - I used to be taking luke-warrm baths at 02:00 or 03:00 in the morning trying to get some relief . . . . then I would apply lanacane cream, and in reality I was making the problem worse. Sorry for rambling on . . . . . Good Luck.

Posted Wed 9 Jun 2021 17.59 by Yacht

Around 1-2 million people in the UK today have psoriasis. Some studies suggest 40-65% of them will get genital psoriasis at one time or another. It is very commonplace. It is possible to request a female GP, derm, or nurse. The docs will probably start with a cream, and then try pills or injections (biologics).

Posted Sun 13 Jun 2021 06.54 by Mary1968

Hello I can only suggest going to a female doctor and saying you think you have psoriasis on your vagina, then she will take a look. A doctor can easily tell the difference between psoriasis and a STD. My doctor is male and does my pap smears, and it doesn't bother me, But I have on occasion (if he has been absent) requested a female doctor, . Therefore, you can easily ask for a female doctor, if that is your preference. To be blunt, you just need to put your embarrassment to one side, and get it checked out. It will take 15 minutes tops and that is it. In the meantime, go to the health food store and buy some raw (unheated / undeodrised) cold pressed food grade coconut oil, and apply that on the psoriasis. Completely safe to use on your vagina and anus area, as that should help to soothe it.

Posted Mon 14 Jun 2021 00.27 by Angry

What is the best option to get rid of genital psoriasis from the groin area and penis it is killing me when I walk

Posted Thu 17 Jun 2021 09.14 by Psoriais101 (edited Thu 17 Jun 2021 09.15 by Psoriais101)

I’ve had this flare up recently too (male though) it got to the point it was agony to walk or sit down. Really go to your GP, I was given antifunal/antibiotic/steroid cream (Trimovate) and it cleared it up within days. They really won’t judge you or assume it’s an STD as they know you suffer with psoriasis. I know it’s embarrassing but if it’s painful you need some help. If it makes you feel better - tell them straight away it’s psoriasis and not an STD, as been checked or whatever. (Not saying you should lie to doctors in general but if you know it’s not an STD it will stop you being anxious about being judged) Hope you get it sorted!

Posted Thu 17 Jun 2021 09.37 by Angry

Steam therapy helps to get rid of the flaky skin on your scalp, go to a leisure centre and use the steam room in their it really help with psoriasis on the scalp

To take part, sign in or register with us