Scalp psoriasis shampoo

Posted Fri 18 Jun 2021 16.05 by Emma

Hi, I joined the Psoriasis Association to share my experience. I consulted a trichologist about my scalp psoriasis a few months ago. I have had it for many years but was getting worse with think scalp forming over much of my scalp and around my ears. They advised me to use a juniper tar shampoo. I told her I had already tried lots of coal tar shampoos that didn’t help that much, but she explained that this used a tree tar (juniper) and lots of natural oils, and that it had a very soothing and calming effect on the scalp and slowed down the rate at which the skin cells form. I'm always skeptical with new products but bought a bottle anyway. I used the shampoo every day (as advised) for about three weeks and noticed my scalp getting a lot better. I have now been using it for four months (every other day or so) and although there is still some scale on my scalp, it’s nothing like as bad as it used to be. In fact this is the best it’s been in about 15 years, so I’m delighted. The shampoo is called Juniper Shampoo and its by another trichologist called Tony Maledy. I wonder if anyone else has used it for there scalp scale?

Posted Fri 18 Jun 2021 17.33 by charlotte
pustular psoriasis

The ingredients to avoid in shampoo and conditioner is: parabens, sulphate, perfume, unless it’s the scent of pure botanicals in the ingredients so avoid synthetic perfumes, and gluten (often added to conditioners). Trichologists always advise shampooing hair daily. As a hairstylist I disagree and say twice a week unless the hair is oily. I’ve found Wrights coal tar soap an effective hair cleanse for those with scalp psoriasis. Either way, whichever hair cleanser you use, rinse well. No shampoo or conditioner will “cure” psoriasis but the right shampoo/condi can prevent irritation and be soothing.

Posted Tue 6 Jul 2021 05.20 by Angry

Try enslier form on your scalp psoriasis, I had scalp psoriasis flaky skin all round the head and ears skin build up, started using the enslier form on the head, flaky skin is completely gone but the skin build is still there but takes longer to build up after using enslier form cannot buy enslier form need a prescription from doctor.

Posted Tue 20 Jul 2021 20.54 by Sizzy
Psoriasis 40 years, most treatments tried over this time, currently on biologics (stelara) as nothing else work.

Coconut oil or olive oil wrapped with cling film overnight. Marvelous for stopping build up! Better than any steroid creams as I always ended with a big flare once stopped. I inject Sterlara (biologic) now but since 2nd covid jab had a flare on scalp and psa!

Posted Wed 21 Jul 2021 10.10 by OhNo_NotAgain? (edited Wed 21 Jul 2021 16.21 by OhNo_NotAgain?)

Just to add a comment to the post from Charlotte on 18 June: Wrights Coal Tar soap contains no coal tar extract. It used to but now on the packaging it specifically mentions a "coal tar fragrance". I used to use it for showering in the 80s and it helped my psoriasis a lot (together with other coal-tar based treatments). But late in 90s or 2000s, coal tar was removed or massively reduced in over-the-counter preparations. It was completely removed from the Wrights soap, sadly.

Posted Wed 21 Jul 2021 14.46 by Sizzy
Psoriasis 40 years, most treatments tried over this time, currently on biologics (stelara) as nothing else work.

I've always got my shampoos from my GP. I just Google current treatment shampoos and ask for them. I pay a monthly prescription charge as having psoriasis can be expensive with all the different treatments needed.

Posted Wed 11 Aug 2021 20.28 by Steven J.H.

Hello Emma, just a note to say that I have also been using the Juniper Scalp Therapy Shampoo by Tony Maleedy Hair for a number of years now. Has helped my scalp psoriasis no end, I really can't recommend the stuff enough. Thank you for sharing - hope your scalp continues to get better. Steve

To take part, sign in or register with us