UVB therapy in peri anal area?

Posted Mon 21 Jun 2021 16.02 by Nbnw17 (edited Mon 21 Jun 2021 16.03 by Nbnw17)

Hi all, Completely new to this I am a man in my early 30’s with history of itch/redness in the anal/peri-anal region for quite some years (6 years or so) without linking this to any particular skin condition until 2 years ago when I saw my first dermatologist who diagnosed some Eczema. I have been since then given multiple topical treatments such as Mupirocin, Bepanthen, Canesten HC, Betamethasone, Enstilar and Catephen as I have seen many dermatologists over the years. Not to mention that none of those treatments have proven to make any big difference to me. I have then decided couple of weeks ago to give UVB narrowband phototherapy a try as I’m so desperate with this. improvements have been quite limited so far ( after 15 sessions 3 times a week) but can definitely see some improvements as my skin seems to heal and color is slightly changing. I am also being extremely cautious and protect my genital area with a dark sock ( even if it is not exposed at all as I’m using a small lamp) but still thinking whether it is safe to use it around the anus considering the sensitivity in the area. Would anyone give me any advise based on personal experience etc on this as I understand NHS would not provide those treatments in the area as it can be linked with higher skin cancer occurrences. I went through some others forums where some doctors appear to say it is ok to use in the area… Thanks Nab

Posted Tue 6 Jul 2021 05.10 by Angry

I speak to a private dermatologist and he told me that it's OK to use around that area but it take at least 10 weeks of treatment to see any results nothing after that 10 weeks should stop using it. Th

To take part, sign in or register with us