Inverse psoriasis and CFS/ME

Posted Sat 11 Sep 2021 10.32 by Catlover

Hi, I'm newly diagnosed, have been trying several treatments, but have trouble with topical as have CFS as well. Does anyone else on here have the double whammy of CFS and inverse psoriasis, and do you have any tips?

Posted Fri 24 Sep 2021 22.53 by Sally

Hello. I’m not sure what inverse psoriasis is but I have a severe psoriasis the worst being on my hands. I am now on 17.5 mg methotrexate pw. I had no reaction to topicals they were just ineffective. I did try acitretin and for me it was the devil drug. I have had ME for about 16 years. It is hard in our situation to separate and attribute what symptoms are caused by what condition. Personally I believe the psoriasis to be an extension of the ME. I have known for many years my ME was triggered by my immune system. Unfortunately we now have two poorly understood conditions to cope with as if ME wasn’t enough. Best wishes and I hope you find the strength to deal with everything you have going on.

Posted Sat 25 Sep 2021 12.32 by Catlover

Hi Sally, thank you for your response. Inverse psoriasis is a moist form that attacks the folds of the body, so in the groin and armpits, under the breasts, and in the obese (such as myself due to inactivity due to cfs) under the abdomen. I also have psoriasis on my scalp, but as the treatment for that is applying coal tar cream with an applicator which requires me to have my arms raised for some considerable time I cannot manage it due to my cfs, so am glad it is not as bad as some - I still have all my hair. I too believe my psoriasis to be an extension of my cfs/me. I am also wondering if my 'trigger' event was the onset of menopause, although as I am amenorrheic due to polycystic ovaries it was as easy to diagnose the menopause as it was the ME, so I can't be sure - and I was suffering from psoriasis for a long time before I approached the doctor about the symptoms and had them diagnosed, as I thought my skin problems were due to inactivity due to the tiredness that was eventually diagnosed as ME. I do hope the methotrexate is working for you. I haven't been offered it yet as I am still waiting for my hospital appointment, and my GP is apparently not able to prescribe more than the creams she has tried for me without referral to a dermatologist. While the covid crisis has caused and is still causing a great many problems for all of us, there is one very small glimmer of hope; as they investigate the so-called 'long covid', there is a very slight possibility that they may come up with something that could also have an effect on ME. Stay positive Sally, and know you are not alone!

Posted Sat 25 Sep 2021 20.24 by Sally

Thank you Yes very similar stories. I have suffered with skin issues in the groin ears and scalp years before my psoriasis diagnosis. I just suffered in silence as you get fed up being brushed off constantly as an ME sufferer. When my hands became so sever they were as if they has been burnt in a fire and I could not use them I found a private consultant for an initial diagnosis and asked that he refer me right away to the NHS. It was the only way to get the help I needed. I appreciate this is not possible for many people. Good luck with everything.

To take part, sign in or register with us