Psoriasis ignorance

Posted Wed 15 Dec 2021 14.43 by lucidentity1

Hi, I have severe scalp psoriasis and feel like no one understands the hardship this condition brings. People insult me and don't believe me when I say that I have a condition. Even doctors seem uninterested whenever I have appointments and don't seem to care. People without psoriasis will never understand the physical and mental impact that psoriasis has and I often feel like an outsider. I'm trying to come to terms with my psoriasis but medication is just barely helping me manage it and people are so insensitive.

Posted Wed 15 Dec 2021 17.01 by Sizzy
Psoriasis 40 years, most treatments tried over this time, currently on biologics (stelara) as nothing else work.

Everyone on this site will feel for you. I myself have suffered severe scalp psoriasis on and off over the last 30 odd years so can understand how low it can make you feel. I found using olive oil on the scalp, wrap in cling film and leave overnight, wash out in the morning. That will losen any scale. You could then apply a topical steroid. There are people you can speak to that can help with the negative feelings so please do not feel embarrassed to do so. Took me years to really accept my skin and even longer to not care what people think or say. Take care x

Posted Tue 4 Jan 2022 14.16 by AzureBlue

You’re absolutely right. I’m sick of having to make excuses for and explain my psoriasis. It’s hardly a rare condition. I swear if I hear one more doctor say something to the effect of “it’s just a bit of psoriasis” I’ll scream. Try living for a month with just a bit of psoriasis on your face, genitals, hands etc and then tell me how it felt.

1 Posted Tue 4 Jan 2022 17.24 by Yacht

Psoriasis is systemic, wrecks the whole body, and shortens lifespan. Doctors really should take it (much) more seriously. It is a scandal that so many medical folks think psoriasis is "just a bit of red skin".

1 Posted Sun 23 Jan 2022 02.41 by Mary1968

lucidentity1 Given how prevalent psoriasis is, I am still constantly surprised that many people have ever heard of it I can understand back in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s, when my suffering was at its worse, that others were a bit clueless But since the rise of the internet, it is hard to believe that more people don't know Yes it can be life changing and a challenge to deal with, but deal with it you must (alternative is unthinkable) I would not bother with a doctor. They are too rushed to spend quality time with you. You see them for 10 minutes and they shove some expensive new cream in your face, and then no follow up. Not great if you have a side effect reaction, or you need emotional support. See a dermatologist, or even better still, a naturopath. Post on here, as people here understand.

Posted Sun 23 Jan 2022 08.33 by Holliebobs

People just don't get it, I am covered from head to toe. My boyfriend is amazing on one hand as it doesn't bother him at all but on the other completely insensitive to it. "It's just your skin, why do you let it bother you so much" you have it for a day and see how you feel!! Let alone 30 years! I struggle so so badly with self confidence and self worth. It's terrible. My scalp is pretty much clear at the moment, I have to use a prescribed steroid topical lotion and coltar shampoo when it flairs up. I'd go back to you gp (after doing some research) and say, I would like to try this this and this. Be firm, really lay it on about how it's affecting your life. Good luck xx

Posted Wed 26 Jan 2022 11.35 by lucidentity1

Thanks for the replies, I have never met anyone else with psoriasis in my life. It's hard to even describe how lonely it can make me feel sometimes almost as if I'm in a different world to everyone else. It's hard to even talk to about with others as no one can comprehend how big an impact it has on my life. My psoriasis wasn't even diagnosed correctly for at least over a year after my first appointment but currently after lots of different applications and shampoos. I use Dovobet gel and Capasal shampoo which doesn't so much treat the psoriasis as it does help to very slightly mitigate the discomfort. Also, one thing I really struggle with is blaming myself even though I know it is a genetic condition I find myself questioning what I did to deserve it. Does anyone else have these issues in coming to terms with their psoriasis and accepting there is only so much you can do? PS. Thanks again to everyone who shared their experiences

Posted Wed 26 Jan 2022 12.04 by Sizzy
Psoriasis 40 years, most treatments tried over this time, currently on biologics (stelara) as nothing else work.

Psoriasis tends to cause anxiety in sufferers. Guys Hospital London dermatogy department do a stress/anxiety/depression score sheet for every patient for every visit and do refer for counselling where necessary. They are also an extremely caring team and each Dr or consultant doesn't rush you. I wish everyone had this experience. I've had it for 40+ years but for many of those I was very conscious and worried by others staring/opinion. Itsimportamt to try and accept it but also get any help you can. Your beautiful despite your skin and its others that have the problem. Take care and seek help x

To take part, sign in or register with us