dieting

Posted Wed 22 Dec 2021 22.26 by akgray

hey was wondering if anyone had taken any foods/drinks out of their diet and if that. reared any improvements for you?

Posted Thu 23 Dec 2021 10.47 by bargainlovingmum

Hiya I've cut back on sugar, dairy, gluten and alcohol and have found my skin has improved noticeably and is also hardly ever itchy. It got loads better when I followed Hanna Sillitoe's books, but after a few months I have started to eat more varied things again - partly as I found it tough being more restrictive. And also I think my body has healed a bit. I also take a top quality fish oil supplement. Really hope things go great for you :)

Posted Mon 3 Jan 2022 13.05 by Yacht

Think foods tend to make psoriasis worse... but rarely make it better. For example, a big alcohol binge will flare it up. But quitting alcohol will not flare it away.

Posted Tue 4 Jan 2022 22.59 by akgray

thank you guys! i just orders one of those books so hopefully that helps 🤞🏼

Posted Tue 11 Jan 2022 14.46 by lizziep (edited Tue 11 Jan 2022 14.48 by lizziep)

I have tried intermittent fasting and it actually made no difference to my psoriasis, sadly. I also ate blueberries in large quantities and that didn't help either.

1 Posted Sun 23 Jan 2022 03.16 by Mary1968

Hello akgray Yes. I totally removed or severely limited intake of several foods, and psoriasis cleared up There are indeed foods that make it better too I use to be on a FB page (cannot remember group name), but everyone there was clearing with diet as well It can be done, but it takes time, awareness and commitment.

Posted Sat 29 Jan 2022 18.11 by TomJerry

Mary1968, can you tell us what foods makes you better and worse?

Posted Sun 29 May 2022 03.21 by Mary1968 (edited Sun 29 May 2022 03.25 by Mary1968)

Hello TomJerry Sorry for late reply I am not on this site very often, and I have only just seen your question today. Please see below

Posted Sun 29 May 2022 03.24 by Mary1968 (edited Sun 29 May 2022 03.26 by Mary1968)

Sorry for long read....... FOODS THAT MAKE ME WORSE: Foods that make psoriasis feel or look worse for me (i.e.) flare me up, or interfere with clearing, are the typical well-known ones. I am not odd or a freak. Read any psoriasis blog, forum, Facebook group, and you will find thousands of people reporting the same foods. I either now totally avoid, or have massively reduced, my consumption of said items. I don’t do this because of what other people have reported, I do this because I have personally observed or experienced negative outcomes for myself The ones in brackets are the ones I have found to be most inflammatory: 1). Nightshades (white potato, tomato) 2). Wheat (bread) 3). Dairy (cheese, yogurt, icecream – most things made with cows milk – although absolutely fine with organic butter) 4). Sugar (chocolate, coke-cola, cake, biscuits) 5). Alcohol (beer, whiskey, wine) 6). Junk (chips, crisps, pop tarts, fast food takeaways) 7). Nitrates (hotdogs, bacon, deli ham) 8). Dyes (farmed salmon, candy) 9). Prepackaged Boxed or Canned Foods (preservatives, white sugar, syrups, artificial sweeteners, trans-fat, margarine, canola oil, gluten, salt). 10). Peanuts (peanutbutter) ACTIONS: 1). Nightshades = I now limit my tomato intake, and have 99% swapped white potato over for sweet potato, parsnips, and pumpkin 2). Wheat = I have swapped massed produced supermarket bread, over to a 24-hour fermented sourdough from an independent baker 3). Dairy = I have seriously limited my intake of cheese, yogurt, icecream, and now use unsweetened almond milk or hemp seed milk in hot drinks and in porridge. Unfortunately, and devastatingly, I have found cheese is really really really really bad for psoriasis flares for me. So have gone from eating it twice daily, to having it on rare occasions in small quantities (i.e.) I am fine for a small cheese toastie once a week, but a large cheesy pasta bake over several days would send me over the edge. 4). Sugar Excess = I have seriously cut down on cake, biscuits, chocolate (eat a square - rather than the whole family bar!) and have totally given up fizzy sodas and coke-cola. I know you can get sugar-free zero coke, but that contains artificial sweeteners and I believe AS to be extremely inflammatory for brain health. 5). Alcohol = Use to drink about seven beers a week, I have cut that back to one. I have totally given up whiskey, and I have cut down on wine to a Saturday night only. 6). Junk = Totally given up 7). Nitrates = Totally given up 8). Dyes = Totally given up 9). Prepackaged Foods = 99.99% given up 10). Peanuts = Have peanutbutter once a week in very small quantities. Absolutely love the stuff, so it is a challenge to limit – but must be done (I did give it up for ten years, and silly me started it again last year) Hope that list gives you food for thought 😊

Posted Sun 29 May 2022 03.50 by Mary1968

This reply is shorter (I promise)………. FOODS AND DRINKS THAT I FOUND HELPFUL FOR HEALING: On the other hand, certain foods have certainly benefited towards the healing and clearing of plaques for me Probably guessing because they are full of nutrients, antioxidants and are considered to be anti-inflammatory for the human body Things like: Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Spinach, Kale, Carrots, Celery, Beetroot, Avocado, Sweet Potato, Cauliflower, Grapes, Wheatgrass, Pomegranate, Blueberries, Papaya, Coconut (the Coconut Oil, Flesh, and Water), Oily Fish, Flaxseed Oil, Hemp Seed Oil, Brown Rice, Sauerkraut, Kefir, Green Tea, Dandelion Tea, Burdock Tea, Ginger Tea, Water, etc…. Some people report that egg yolks are very beneficial too, but I only have two eggs a week – so I don’t know if they benefit or not. Hope that helps?

Posted Sun 29 May 2022 04.14 by Mary1968

Lastly: Intermittent Fasting is a terrific tool to use for assisting with clearance – if safe for you to incorporate it that is. And I mean incorporate it, as part of an overall diet shake up – as unlikely to work as a standalone. Most people do IF for losing weight on the Keto diet. But other people use it for certain health issues. I started doing it because I went through menopause and developed the most terrible lethargic feelings and brain fog. I found that IF gave me good clarity and energy in the mornings. As an added bonus, I noticed it helped for psoriasis too You would usually do IF for anywhere between 12 – 18 hours. I normally do it for 15 hours. Whilst this sounds hard, you can incorporate your sleep into it and make it so much easier for yourself. Since most people avoid eating food directly before bed, you can easily have several hours of fasting between dinner and bed, then maybe 8 hours of sleep. Therefore, by the time you wake up in the morning, you can easily already have around 11 hours of fasting (refraining from eating food) already behind you During the period of IF you would consume typically consume warm water Well purists would stick to water, but find that a little boring and restrictive. I usually have healthy liquids such as celery & carrot juice, water, green tea, and herbal teas. Maybe some clear broth if the fancy strikes. Anyway LOADS of psoriasis sufferers have reported it helps

To take part, sign in or register with us