Confusion over psoriasis and worried about the future

Posted Sun 1 May 2022 20.55 by Bluesun

Hi, new to the forum and just wanted to share my experience/get some opinions Just a bit about my symptoms - 5 years ago I developed a itchy bottom which came and went with applications of canisten/hydrocortisone cream. No other symptoms were present other than a occasional red coin sized patch on the back of my neck which went with just 1 application of dermovate and it tends to return months later. Anyway over the past 6 months the perinatal itching has been bad I went to the gp again aboutperianal itching and he said it was inflamed and muttered the word psoriasis and gave me some lotriderm which has helped. I stopped using it 3 weeks ago and now there’s now a pink line/itching down the gluteal cleft so I’m assuming it’s returned 2 weeks ago I also developed like 2 itchy/burning red lines around the outskirts of my armpits ?if it’s psoriasis or sweat rash. Sorry this is long winded. I guess I want to ask the following- Can a gp give a definite diagnosis of psoriasis or is is usually dermatology (which I haven’t been referred to) or does confirmation tend to come from dermatology? Ive been reading about psoriasis online and apparantly psoriasis in the gluteal region/inverse psoriasis in particular (more so than plaque) is very high risk for progressing to arthiritis, does anyone have any further knowledge on this? As I play sport I’m worried about sweating/chaffing down below and triggering the psoriasis even more can Vaseline be applied to help with this? Does anyone use sudacrem?

Posted Mon 2 May 2022 08.46 by PJ

In my experience even some dermatologist’s are not that good on psoriasis. My GP prescribed Betnovate for the buttocks area and it worked well. It’s a steroid therefore not for ongoing use. For us psoriatics it all about managing the condition physically and somehow accommodating it emotionally.

Posted Mon 2 May 2022 13.17 by OhNo_NotAgain?

The only figures I have ever seen suggest that 25-30% of psoriasis sufferers develop psoriatic arthritis. My understanding of diagnosing skin psoriasis definitively is that it can be done with a skin scraping analysis. My own understanding is that in many cases the topical treatments/protocols for psoriasis are pretty well the same as for other skin conditions such as eczema, so to a certain extent (or in many cases) definitive diagnosis is moot. for your armpits, I would suggest trying an over-the-counter antifungal treatment, perhaps one that contains hydocortisone and see if it makes a difference over 7 days. I have had this 2 or 3 times over the last 10 years, and I stopped using deoderant for a few days and applied cream, it cleared. I used to suffer from recurring rash in my groin that responded slightly to antifungal, but not very much. My GP (who is quite open minded and communicative and seems keen to help) suggested it was a combination of fungal infection and inverse psoriasis. The best treatment I found was Trimovate (combined anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and steroid). Trimovate cleared it in 5-7 days, but it was coming back after every 4-6 weeks. I experienced this for several years. I stopped drying my groin with a towel after showers, and used kitchen roll instead - standard to avoid spreading a fungal infection (you could also use a hair-dryer). Once dry I dust my groin with a medicated anti-fuingal powder. I have not had any recurrance oif the rash now for over a year. I think trying to keep my groin dry and fungal free has been the key to stopping inverse psoriasis also.

Posted Mon 2 May 2022 19.50 by Rct1820

Hi, Bluesun, I sound quite similar to you. I first had a flare up in early 2020 which I thought was eczema. Then early 2021 I had another flare, only this time I wondered why it was the outside of my elbows and bottom as they aren’t typical for eczema. A pharmacist mentioned dairy intolerance and gave me steroid cream which worked. When it came back again I went to the GP who said possibly eczema possibly psoriasis and to make sure I keep myself moisturised. Am now having another flare which has prompted me to research and mine looks exactly like google image searches of mild psoriasis. I have health anxiety so I have been in a bit of a spiral. Not sure what the point of this is other than to say you aren’t alone. In practical terms is the perinatal itching that really bothers me. In emotional terms is the worry that it’ll progress into arthritis or significantly reduce my life expectancy. There seems to be quite a bit of scary data out there, but maybe only for those with health anxiety 🤷🏻‍♀️ I can’t tell any more!

Posted Thu 5 May 2022 20.26 by Bluesun

Thanks for the replies appreciated Yes it’s hard not to Google and then worry about the future I guess it’s easy to assume the worst. Whenever I get any skin symptoms. I don’t really know what is chaffing, dermatitis or psoriasis. For example I used a bit of sudacrem on some redness down below and it seems to be fading so I’m wondering was it psoriasis. I tend to obsess over health and knowing that stress makes it worse now makes me worry about things that might make me stressed, this thing will drive me mad I know I know I’m not the only one 😄

Posted Sun 15 May 2022 00.15 by Mary1968

Hello Personally I would not use Vaseline as it blocks the pores If you have psoriasis or even just general chaffing in the armpit, then coconut oil works both to soothe and as a deodorant

Posted Fri 12 Aug 2022 22.33 by michmo

hi mary.i have never gone to see a gp in relation to my psoriasis.i have been a sufferer for decades.i just accept i have the condition now.i stopped drinking alchohol which has definately made it less aggressive.just my opinion but i would not expect a gp to be of much assistance.you could get lucky and get a good one if their focused on the condition.

Posted Sun 14 Aug 2022 01.45 by Mary1968

Hello Bluesun I have always found GPs a little vague about specific diagnoses of skin issues I normally have plaque psoriasis, and after the Covid jab, I flared up really badly with a very sore and painful rash. Started off small and then just started popping up everywhere. My normal GP had no idea what it was and treated me for a fungal infection - needless to say that was unsuccessful. He did however refer me to a dermatologists The dermatologist isn't 100% sure either, but at least did say that it looks like Inverse psoriasis, which I have never had before. He also said a LOT of people were reporting the same reaction after having Covid jabs. He gave me a body wash called QV and also the QV moisturizing lotion, and a mild cream called Hydrozole. The combination of all three is excellent, and slowly every day over the past fortnight, I am getting more and more clearance as the days pass.

Posted Tue 16 Aug 2022 04.49 by Werewq522

Hi, I am Shakil and is new here.. I have psoriasis from last 12 years..I did not even know its name for 11 years as it was not effecting my QOL..(I had just a small patch on my palm ,one pitted nail and rash in genital regions...) From last winter it is getting worse day by day and i think my Covid infection worsened it... Now i have 3 pitted nails and have at least one dent in other nails...I also have more area of skin effected now.. I have changed 3 dermatologists from last winter..The last one gave methotrexate and topical creams which i think is helping.. I am worried about Progressing it into Arthritis as i have read nail pitting is indicator for that... Am i on track on having Arthritis??Or it is just in my head..

Posted Mon 22 Aug 2022 19.48 by Joe Woods

Help and advice. Hi all and thanks for reading this, any help would be greatly appreciated. So I have had psoriasis on the soles of my feet and the palms of my hands for around 5 years now. I have been attending my local hospital RAH in Paisley dermatology department, tbh I have had a lot of pills and lotions and potions but nothing seams to work or the side effects are worse than the actual feet and hands. I've had Acceterian, ended up with stomach cramps and severe S&D sore heads dry eyes and just feeling crap. I came off them, I was then put on methotrexate but then covid struck and I was took off them, then they put me on the sun bed for my feet but they ended up burning my feet as they put me under for to long. My last pills were apremilast that I gave up on today as my back was killing me, I had terrible Hartburn, when i went to my doctor he gave me pain relief but then I couldn't take anti acid for my Hartburn so I was again left feeling like crap, my back was also so sore I couldn't get out of bed in the morning without actually looking like a 96 year old and not a 46 Yr old. I have again just decided to go back onto Dermivate ointment. However now am waiting on my prescription I am again struggling to walk as my feet are all bust open and walking is like walking on broken glass. I am in constant pain and struggling to sleep. I have now been told I have psoratic arthritis on my hips and toes. I am sorry for sounding like a moan, I am trying my best, last year I was training for a marathon this year am struggling to walk. And the nhs doesn't seam to want to do much apart from fling pills at me that are worse. Amy help would be greatly appreciated Joe

Posted Mon 22 Aug 2022 20.23 by Werewq522 (edited Mon 22 Aug 2022 20.47 by Werewq522)

Hi Joe...I understand your worry and discomfort which this thing is causing to u...In my personal view Methotrexate is best treatment for psoriasis and PsA... Do not just use ointments as it will flatten your skin but will not calm your immune system... Stick to methotrexate for 2 months with daily 5 mg folic acid..With these try selicyclic acid as ointment...Have regular blood checkups for your LFTs and CBC during this treatment..Also use mild soap and always use a moisturizer... I think this will help...Have a good time.. Remember U are not alone..

Posted Tue 23 Aug 2022 15.57 by Joe Woods

Many thanks for your response. I was not allowed methotrexate due to covid so on my next review I will say.

To take part, sign in or register with us