Psoriatic Arthritis and Methotrexate

Posted Fri 20 Nov 2015 14.14 by Arthur45

Hi, I have had skin psoriasis since my teens. Never too bad. But now as I reach 50 my Doctor believes I have psoriatic arthritis. Even though it is fairly minor they want to start me on Methotrexate. I know a lot of people have been given it for the skin, but how many have solely used it for joint issues? Any good results? I am really nervous about it but want to remain active and mobile. Any comments gratefully received . Thanks.

Posted Sun 7 Aug 2016 09.15 by Paul

Hi Arthur I had a methotrexate dose about 2years ago and it cleared the pa in my feet and hand. Was on it for about 18 months. Down side is blood tests every 6 to 8 weeks. My pa just stated to come back, but in a different hand. Nothing to be nervous about. Hope this helps. Paul

Posted Tue 16 Aug 2016 08.12 by katykaye

I have had psoriasis all my life and in the past year have been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. I started methotrexate 4 weeks ago. I take 15mg per week and the effect is amazing. My skin is almost clear for the first time in years, no joint pain, I can stand straight and walk half a mile for the first time in many years. Apart from feeling nauseous and a bit ropy for 24 hours after taking the pills I have had no other side effects so far.

Posted Sat 10 Sep 2016 09.48 by Gem

I was on metho for p then stopped as not working and started ciclosporin . I got diagnosed with psa in May and started back on my metho for the psa. . Mine has effect lots of joints and been really painful. Been on it for about 8 weeks and just increased my dose as well . It's helping a little bit but was told can take 3-4 months before it will really start working. I am sure you will be fine just make sure you get your blood test reg and take folic acid as well.

Posted Sat 17 Sep 2016 15.45 by Bright side
Hi. My name is Carol. I suffer with PSA. And P. I'm hoping to find friends on this site who also have the same.

Hi. Methotrexate has improved my life greatly. I have been on it two years and couldn't live without it. Try it, give it time. You will be amazed. Regards Carol.

Posted Tue 4 Oct 2016 08.47 by Grizzly Bear
Got P in 1990 when serving in forces. Got diagnosed with PA late early this year. Using Stelara 90 mg.

Has anyone using methotrexate suffered any side effects ? I've heard some horror stories about it but i can't say yeah or neigh as it is one drug i've never had.

To take part, sign in or register with us