Psoriasis and sunburn

Posted Mon 29 Feb 2016 19.37 by isy9512
Psoriasis mainly on my arms, self-conscious especially in summer, embarrassed which prevents me from taking my hoodie or jumper off when I'm

Hi all, 6 months ago (August 2015) I went on holiday for a week. One day I went to the beach for the whole day and I forgot to put sun cream on (stupid I know)! This resulted in my arms and legs becoming sunburnt...and I mean really sunburnt! It was extremely painful on the days that followed. Even now, 6 months on, I still have a distinctive tan/burn line on my arms and legs (I have psoriasis on my arms and legs). I was using dovobet to manage my psoriasis and it was working very well, but then I stopped after I got sunburnt. Now I want to start managing my psoriasis again, I want to know if it's safe for me to use the dovobet on my, previously sunburnt but now healed, skin? Does anyone else have experience of getting sunburnt and then not knowing whether to apply the same topical cream that they were using beforehand? I would see my GP, but my health centre is extremely busy at the moment, currently a 3 week wait for an appointment! So I wanted to ask on here and see if anyone else has been in a similar situation and if I can get some advice. Thanks :)

Posted Tue 1 Mar 2016 23.12 by Stationmistress
Acute

I'd recommend seeing the doctor for a chat before applying a steroid to previously damaged skin. I got sunburnt on one of my big psoriasis 'patches' on my upper thigh years in '82 in France and when I used my normal first app of aqueous I remember being worried because I seemed to have lost several layers of skin - it was raw and weepy. Didn't bleed, just formed a thin shiny transparent skin over the top that cracked every time I bent my leg, was agony. Took three weeks to finally heal, and I had to cover it with a big melonin pad, miserable end to my holiday! Like you the skin is still lighter from the burn and I'm scarred, 30 odd years later - but funnily enough I never get a patch there. I'd definitely check if you can get an appointment. I'm currently suffering a massive stress flare and have been googling images of psoriasis, some people have the most terrible scars. Don't google them yourself, the 2% who have psoriasis are really suffering. Some have awful wounds, poor things. I am never complaining about my feet again, mine are minor compared.

To take part, sign in or register with us