No more gluten, no more psoriasis

Posted Mon 7 Mar 2016 11.05 by Libby
Had guttate psoriasis three times, each taking many months to clear. The last flare up became plaque psoriasis which has worsened for 15 yea

I have had plaque psoriasis, gradually worsening, for nearly 30 years. No topical treatment or light treatment cured it, and the strongest steroid cream was barely holding it in check. It had got so bad on my hips that it hurt to lie on my side at night. I really did not want to go onto oral steroids or subject my very fair skin to yet another round of UV treatment that would only provide temporary, partial respite but do permanent damage to the skin. Because of worsening IBS digestive issues as well as psoriasis, and after getting nowhere with standard medicine, I went to a nutritionist privately and got a detailed blood test for gluten intolerance. It turns out that I have three strong gluten reactions, including one related to skin health. I stopped eating gluten, and within a couple of weeks my psoriasis was clearly improving even though I'd stopped using all medications for it. Six months later it is almost entirely gone, with just a few tiny spots left that are disappearing. And my digestion is much better, too, though that has taken longer and is also due to treating the other issues my nutritionist diagnosed through a stool test (candida overgrowth and citrobacter infection). An added bonus has been losing 12 pounds even though that wasn't the aim. Of course, my psoriasis may also be improving due to my improving gut health. To deal with the gut health problems I took a range of alternative remedies recommended by my nutritionist to kill off the bad stuff, and then very strong probiotics to repopulate the gut. I also cut out all sugar, fruit and alcohol to starve the yeast. It has been a long haul, but it's been worth it to feel so much better and see my psoriasis disappear at last. I am very gradually returning to a more normal diet now, but I will never eat gluten again. I was almost in despair after exhausting all options in the medical profession. I saw a consultant dermatologist who told me diet has no proven link with psoriasis. Her suggestion was further light treatment. My GP told me I could carry on eating wheat and gluten because a basic NHS blood test showed I was not allergic to wheat and not a coeliac; but I noticed the more wheat I ate the more sick I felt. A consultant gastroenterologist my GP referred me to told me I had "classic IBS" which was untreatable, because my diet was already healthy and I was not suffering stress. He said he had never seen any benefit to "any of that alternative medicine stuff" when I said I was considering seeing a nutritionist to check for gut flora problems. He dismissed my case even though I frequently had an upset stomach and felt nauseous most of the time. So my advice for all psoriasis (and IBS) sufferers is, firstly, don't give up, and don't just stick with traditional medicine! Secondly, go to a nutritionist to check your gut health and get a full Cyrex Labs blood test on gluten intolerance (see https://www.cyrexlabs.com/CyrexTestsArrays/tabid/136/Default.aspx). If you can't afford the nutritionist or the blood test, you could try cutting out gluten for at least a month and see whether your psoriasis improves. If it does, you are probably gluten intolerant, and you will probably find your psoriasis and general health both continue to improve if you stay gluten-free. Cutting out gluten really isn't so bad these days, as there are so many good alternatives and restaurants are so clued in. Hope this helps some of you!

Posted Sun 26 Aug 2018 15.00 by Jane

Thank you. I am going to cut out gluten. Best wishes Jane

Posted Mon 27 Aug 2018 10.21 by Jane

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I will take a look. Best wishes Jane

Posted Mon 3 Sep 2018 19.07 by Niskir

After reading a post about Gluten-free having a positive impact on Psoriasis, I changed diet. Now, six months later, my Psoriasis is 90% improved. I had red, scaling Psoriasis on my legs, elbows on abdomen that had progressively grown over the last 30 years. I still have dryness of skin, but occasional use of just Eucerin skin cream keeps those in check. Next, I'm adding blueberries. :) I did read the gluten linkage is true for only 25% of those living with Psoriasis, so I do not intend to give you false hope. However, there are many GF options now that made this option easy to try a couple months to see if you have improvement. Changing diet has been so much more impactful than 30 years of prescription creams! Best to each of you.

Posted Sun 16 Sep 2018 14.03 by Twosmiler

Gluten effects my skin massively. I had blood tests on the NHS which were all negative, then I did a food intolerance test and it came up with gluten sensitivity. I cut out gluten (amongst other things) and my skin cleared. I've not heard of the test you talk about though - What is it? Do you have a link /info? In terms of your feedback from the doc that "diet has no proven link with psoriasis" this is misleading, There is a lack of research in this area, which is different to "no proven link".....also, there is no strong body of evidence that suggests diet does not impact psoriasis. In fact all the research that has been conducted has shown diet can have a very positive impact. Thanks

Posted Wed 22 Jan 2020 20.19 by hainiej
Cannot go swimming any more

Very encouraging to hear these stories. After being advised I had a wheat allergy I went on a 6 week gluten free diet and it cleared my psoriasis. It came back because I didn’t stick with it. I’m now back on it but after 3 weeks I’m not seeing any difference this time but it’s early days and will continue gluten free.

Posted Sat 25 Jan 2020 15.11 by Nancy L74

I’ve had psoriasis on my scalp for about 10 years. One Rx shampoo helped, but then our insurance stopped covering it & it was going to cost $1500, so that was the end of that! I’ve take supplements & have been eating a Paleo diet for 6 years, free from sugar, dairy & gluten. I recently found a recommended diet for psoriasis, which eliminated a few additional things such as eggs, red meat & tomatoes. I’ve been on that the past 2 months and didn’t really notice any difference. Here’s that link: https://draxe.com/health/psoriasis-diet-5-natural-cures/ Any other food or supplement suggestions that have helped you??

Posted Wed 29 Jan 2020 22.36 by hainiej
Cannot go swimming any more

Hi Nancy, try Synalar ointment for scalp, it works! cured the itch as well, best, Jim

Posted Thu 30 Jan 2020 10.46 by Nancy L74

Thanks. I’ve used that before, don’t remember how it worked for me. Just got Clobetasol shampoo again. I wish I could treat it without steroids, however. Maybe after it calms down I can keep it under control with my diet.

Posted Sat 8 Feb 2020 07.27 by Sizzy
Psoriasis 40 years, most treatments tried over this time, currently on biologics (stelara) as nothing else work.

I've read you should also avoid nightshade vegetables: white potato, tomatoes, aubergine and peppers. And whilst there seems to be lots of chatter about blueberries being really good for psoriasis, I have also just read they contain solanine which nightshade contain. Personally, not everything will work for everyone, so don't get disheartened if it doesn't work but enjoy if it does x

To take part, sign in or register with us